Join our zoo community

GW Exotic Animal Park (Closed) GW Animal Park Discussion

Discussion in 'United States' started by Arizona Docent, 13 Jan 2014.

1. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well, the trailer did seem to put Caroline Baskin in a positive light, unfortunately.

2. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, Joe's been bragging about it, he's a fan of "any publicity is good publicity". There's billboards for it.

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Update for anyone that hasn't been on Netflix recently: the Tiger King documentary is now fully available for streaming.

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. TinoPup

No surprise whatsoever. He's actually pretty busy in prison - he gets some internet access and frequently posts on facebook about his innocence, being famous, he was framed, etc. He also runs a web shop where he sells his own merch. Which is blowing up now thanks to netflix :( I'm pretty grossed out by the number of people buying his stuff.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  6. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So, from what I understand, he's basically just gotten a slap on the wrist. Why do they let him have internet access? Why don't they actually punish him?

7. TinoPup

I have no idea and it's really frustrating. At least he can't abuse his animals from there (Jeff is doing it for him), but he's still free to speak his BS.

8. Coelacanth18

His punishment is a 22-year sentence in federal prison.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  9. EsserWarrior

But they aren't taking anything away. The only thing he can't do is continue to abuse animals himself.

ThylacineAlive likes this.
  10. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Or hire people to murder other people.

pachyderm pro and Brum like this.
  11. EsserWarrior

Good point, good point.

12. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Has anybody actually watched the Netflix series yet? Originally I had planned on avoiding it, but morbid curiosity is starting to get the best of me and considering the circumstances right now, could be a fun way to kill time.

Wisp O' Mist and migdog like this.
  13. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

I have also wanted to watch it for curiosity but I am avoiding it at all costs.

14. migdog

migdog Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Definitely worth watching, very sensationalised but so much drama. Unbelievable that this could (and still does) happen in a first world country.

Wisp O' Mist and pachyderm pro like this.
  15. Coelacanth18

I finished watching it last week. I agree somewhat with @migdog, it's sensationalized and dramatized to a degree that is often cringe-worthy, but the story is really fascinating and it has a lot of information in it... including about a few other individuals in the private zoo world. Whether the true crime biopic-type story is your preference or not is up to you.

There was also a podcast released by Wondery last summer that tells mostly the same story, although it is more succinct (focuses much more on just Exotic and Baskin) and not as dramatized; unfortunately, it also doesn't have the end details since he wasn't sentenced until January of this year. I found that podcast to be more palatable, but it does lack a lot of the industry context that the documentary has - and of course, some people like to have something to watch rather than just listen to.

Wisp O' Mist and pachyderm pro like this.
  16. PSO

PSO Well-Known Member

What I find interesting is a lot of this stuff, i.e. Doc's employee "arrangment", Carol's previous husband Don, Joe in general, has been known in the field for quite some time and now has had mass public exposure. I highly support the private sector but there are the nuts that give it a bad rep

17. EsserWarrior

I've been seeing a lot of "Team Joe" stuff online. I hope people are just joking, but Urban Jungles supposedly posted a "video interview" sort of thing with Joe to allow him to talk about his innocence.

18. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If it makes you feel any better, the show definitely makes Carol Baskin seem like a gigantic hypocrite; in no way does she come out ahead in this. In fact, BCR has a post on their website to refute it. It really makes Carol Baskin and Doc Ante/Joe Exotic seem like two sides of the same coin, and they really are quite similar in a lot of ways. It's definitely sensational and dramatic, but I'd recommend it. Great popcorn and quarantine viewing.

19. TinoPup

It leaves a lot out. The number of people who now think Joe is great is disgusting.

20. Shellheart

Shellheart Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm sure it does leave a lot out, however, it is a limited series. Given time and budgetary constraints you can't include everything, you just have to include the most interesting parts of a story. That said, I really don't see how anyone would think Joe Exotic is great from viewing the documentary. He's vaguely personable, I guess, but his paranoid ranting, threats of violence, inadequate facilities, and extremely predatory labor practices really make me struggle to understand how anyone's takeaway from the doc was "Joe is neat"...Well, looking at the current occupant of the Oval Office, maybe I don't struggle that much :rolleyes: