Join our zoo community

Habits & Behaviors You Learn From Animals

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Sarus Crane, 24 Jan 2018.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Since at least most of us here watch animals a lot whether it be from zoo visits, trekking through wildlife habitats or just hanging out with your pets, are there any habits or mannerism's you've subtly picked up on from the animals around you or have used a certain animal behavior that you learned about to your advantage?

For example I was at a party one time and no one wanted to dance. A good song was playing but no one else seemed interested in dancing to it so I remembered that in Greater Flamingo society, it sometimes takes one member of the flock to start head flagging in order to get the others to follow suit. I got on the dance floor and started dancing and then every body else wanted to join in! Other cool things I've learned is stuff like how to not scare wildlife away while trying to photograph/film them. I found that often the best way to do this is to acclimate yourself to them so you appear as non-threatening as possible. This involved sitting down in the vicinity of the animals in order to make them feel safe to get close enough to get good quality photos/videos. It often works and is a nice relaxing, fun method that allows me to take in the moment and enjoy the wildlife around me. Also, it helps when trying to get closer to an animal to not look at it constantly (especially birds). By glancing away every now and then the animal is indicated you aren't particularly interested in bothering or harming it. Its another habit that's come in handy when photographing/filming wildlife.

Have any of you learned behaviors from animals that have helped you in some way or picked up as a habit?

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've learned that the best way to get strangers to leave me alone when they try to pick me up is to pee on them. Works a treat.