Join our zoo community

United Kingdom Haigh Hall Zoo , wigan

Discussion in 'Zoo History' started by Nanook, 5 Dec 2008.

1. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Hi all , does anyone have any details of where the animals went when the zoo closed down in 1994?? There was a male Moustached Guenon there at the time , does anyone know what happened to him?? Thanks , Zupu.

2. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

some animals went to the exotic pet refuge including the jungle cats

3. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Hi JacksZoo , yes thank you for that Pam mansfield runs that place. I know the Pumas went to Newquay zoo but was interested to know where some of the larger mammals went to? But thanks for your reply. Zupu.

4. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Zupu,

it would be worth your while contacting Steve Nasir at Flamingoland. He used to work at Haigh Hall and is very knowledgeable on it.

A female Bactrian Camel went to Heythrop but I think this was before its closure.

5. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Thank you for that Paradoxurus thats a good idea. Regards, Zupu.

6. jacks zoo

jacks zoo Well-Known Member

Does anyone out there have any pictures of Haigh Hall Zoo ??

7. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

It would also be interesting if a species list could be put together.

I remember:

Bactrian camel
    Zebra
    Lowland tapir
    Capybara
    Puma
    Jungle cat
    Coati
    Llama

8. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

I think there is a species list, maybe at closure, in one of Clinton Keeling's "Were The...." books. Also was there not an article on the zoo in a Bartlett Society journal? Steve Nasir told me an amusing story about a "pair" of Patas Monkeys at Haigh Hall. There are some ex Southport keepers at Flamingo Land who also know quite a bit about Haigh Hall.

9. Parrotsandrew

Just found the chapter in "Where The Penguin Plunged". Lots of details on species, but I'm afraid I have to log off now for today! Sorry.

10. Nanook

Nanook Well-Known Member

Yes I have some photos and other details, I have PM`d you.

11. Parrotsandrew

I am thinking I had better attempt the species lists from "Where The Penguin Plunged" in stages. Here goes for 1981, with thanks to the late Clinton Keeling:

Olive Baboon, Brown Capuchin, Squirrel Monkey, "Grass" Monkey, Stump-tailed Macaque, Puma, Northern Lynx, Leopard, Indian Crested Porcupine, Capybara, Brazilian Tapir, Marmot, Bactrian Camel, Chapman's Zebra, Blackbuck, Llama, Dwarf Zebu, Highland Cattle, African Pygmy Goat, Anglo-Nubian Goat, Parma Wallaby, Bennett's Wallaby, Plain Rock Wallaby, Coati, Malabar Giant Squirrel, Marsh Mongoose, Banded Mongoose, Tayra, Cacomistle, Ostrich, Chilean Flamingo, Caribbean Flamingo, Crowned Crane, Demoiselle Crane, plus a variety of waterfowl, pheasants, parrots and parakeets, and finches.

Different species/breeds mentioned re 1982 are Donkey, Shetland Pony, Chipmunk, Scottish Wildcat, Gloucester Old Spot Pig, Middle White Pig, Pelican, Greater Hill Mynah. Amongst the arrivals are a Grivet Monkey, so presumably the "Grass" Monkeys must have been Grivets, an African Grey Parrot and a Ring-necked Parakeet.

12. ZooTripper365

ZooTripper365 Well-Known Member

I know I'm 11 years late to the party but there's a new article on Wigan World featuring some pictures and information on the zoo. It adds up to the species list above and what family members from my home town wigan have told me. My cousin remembers a panther at one point. I'm assuming this was either a leopard or a jungle cat.

13. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe two Lynx went to Borth

14. ZooTripper365

ZooTripper365 Well-Known Member

I'd be very interested to know what happened to the leopard in the collection or any of the whereabouts of the animals today. It's funny how today the zoo has completely been wiped out of the history of Wigan despite being a popular tourist attraction in its day. I'm assuming this is because of the appalling animal cruelty issues that eventually led to its closure. The area is so small and with the high capacity of animals it's understandable to see why it's a hush hush topic now.