Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2015

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by pipaluk, 11 Jan 2015.

1. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Made a snap decision to visit Hamerton this afternoon, after making the short drive to Linton, only to find that it was closed.
    Despite not getting there until 2pm, I managed to see almost everything, only no shows were the rock cavy, slow Loris, aardwolf and jaguarundi. Several species I've struggled with at various times were visible though, particularly in the run up to closing time.

Highlight of the visit was finally seeing the Tayra properly on show, they are a great exhibit species. The Oncilla and rusty spotted cat enclosures were sadly not accessible today.
    Something that may or may not indicate something is that the Southern aardwolf enclosure (open topped one) contained 2 cheetah cubs. I hope this doesn't indicate the demise of the former inhabitants!

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Not entirely unexpected if your fears are correct. :(

Believe there were two males remaining last I heard, held in different enclosures - so even if one is deceased there is some possibility the other is still alive. Are you talking about the more open of the two enclosures, or the somewhat thickly planted one about 6 metres or so further along the path?

3. pipaluk

The open one which is adjoining the pudu enclosure and has the Marmoset house on the other side of the path which used to lead to the viewing area for the cassowary.

4. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I haven't renewed my Hamerton membership, deciding to wait for the lynx and rusty cat enclosures and a few other bits to be completed. I'd love to see the cheetah cubs though, but wonder if they are wearing those silly jackets I saw in one of their photos?

5. pipaluk

Yes, they were wearing them !! There were several more cubs in one of the semi offshow enclosures, which looked like they had them on too, but it was getting dark by that time so I can't be certain.

6. TeaLovingDave

Sounds like building work on the new lynx enclosure - built on the site of what used to be the Viscacha and Siberian Weasel enclosures, I believe - is nearing completion :)

7. pipaluk

I am amazed if a new enclosure has been built where the Viscacha were! There was no sign of any building work in that area last month that I can recall & parts of the old buildings were still standing then I'm sure.

8. TeaLovingDave

In that case, the planned location must have been changed since a few of us were told last year that they were going to build the enclosure there :) :p

9. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Yes its changed since we were told that,its now up near the Tayra atleast thats where I was told it was going to be,along with new enclosure for the Coati and Raccoons,in the same block!!

10. Big Rob

Big Rob Well-Known Member

I posted a photo in the gallery taken on 31-12-14 showing the new Lynx enclosure being constructed. I took the photo from the path just to the right hand side of the Macaw exhibit,this can be seen just seen in the bottom left corner of photo,and the Tayra enclosure can be seen in the background. Sorry I cant help more but it was my first ever visit. Hope it helps others visualise its location.:)

11. zoogiraffe

It does indeed it confirms that its in the new location for them,and that the old site that used to be for the Siberian weasel and Mountain Viscacha,will now be used for something else!

12. TeaLovingDave

Knowing Hamerton, it will doubtless be something nice :)

13. ro6ca66

ro6ca66 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I visited yesterday: a notice, posted on the larger of the southern aardwolf enclosures (see attached), partly confirms recent fears (pipaluk), but also tentative hopes (TLD).

The cheetah cubs currently occupying this enclosure could be destined for the Cereopsis / Cape Barren goose paddock, which yesterday was having a 'cheetah lookout platform' constructed in its centre. (My speculation only, no confirmation of this).

The new lynx enclosure now has some fake rockwork added, and work was in progress constructing something wooden and elevated in the centre. The pair themselves seemed to be very relaxed in each others company.

There are now long-nosed potoroo sharing the sloth house. Not sure how many in total (it's very dark in there!), but I definitely saw two in the right hand section.

The afternoon was very quiet, and, after much patience, I was finally rewarded with my first sightings of the rock cavies :). Very nice animals (but very fast!).

Attached Files:

14. zoogiraffe

I for one wish them every success in getting a mate for the Southern Aardwolf,it would be nice if they could get another and bred them again!

15. TeaLovingDave

The Canadian Lynx have gone onshow in their new exhibit :)

https://www.facebook.com/hamertonzoopark/posts/816769315058399

16. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Proper little Meerkat factory isn't it! I visited a week ago and thought one of the few that were there looked ready to burst -

17. Snowy Owl

Snowy Owl Well-Known Member

Oncilla and Rusty Spotted Cat have now officially gone on show according to Hamertons Facebook page.

18. TeaLovingDave

Fantastic and long-overdue news :D

19. Ailouros

Ailouros Member

I can confirm this having gone yesterday (Sat. 30th May). Normally avoid weekends and holidays but was taking a friend and his 11-year-old son; will go back alone on a quieter day for better pictures.

Emailed Hamerton to thank them as I had been nagging them about this!

Attached Files:

20. zootiger

zootiger Well-Known Member

Nice photos! Were they fairly easy to see in their new exhibit?