Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Bele, 4 Jan 2016.

1. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

From their Facebook pages - twin tayra born 12 October 2015 - being mother-reared .
    Excellent news !

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

According to the Hamerton Facebook page, subsequent to the female Bengal Loris passing away in 2015 the male has now been sent to Shaldon to form a pair with the female Bengal Loris held there.

3. Marcellus

Marcellus Well-Known Member

I spent a couple of enjoyable hours at Hamerton yesterday (a first visit for me).
    From my observations, recent births include B+W and Ring tail Lemurs, Poitou Donkey and a total of 10 Corsac Foxes across two litters (7+3). Although disappointingly the latter was via a sign on the enclosure as I could only spot one sleeping adult in the enclosure.

There seems to be a lot of work taking place on site with scheduled new enclosures for Coati, Sloth/Bats/Meerkats, Malayan Tiger and Otter/Binturong signposted around the site.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions?

4. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Update on "Tiger Falls"

Work is now progressing well on our major new enclosure for the our pair of Malaysian Tigers, the only ones of their kind in the UK. Finishing touches are being done to the pool, waterfall and rock-work, plus the interior of the attached interpretation area. The tigers themselves have a great view of all the works going on. and have developed into relaxed and well-settled animals. North-Eastern Plant are starting work on the fencing and landscaping this week, and we hope that the whole area of 'Tiger-Falls' will be open to visitors for 'International Tiger Day' on 29th July, at the start of the school holiday.

Our largest purpose-built habitat, 'Tiger-Falls' covers 2500 square meters and includes the tiger house with indoor viewing into the main den and off-show dens for isolation and cub-rearing, and holding runs connecting to the main large enclosure. With grassed and planted areas, this also has a brand new cliff-face with waterfall and pool. Viewing windows give great views of the pool and grassy areas, from the covered interpretation area. We would like to thank our partners in this exciting development, Koda Creative, Bob Garner, ZooTech, Peterborough Regional College and North Eastern Plant - who with Hamerton Zoo Park staff have helped bring the project together for a fraction of the cost of similar exhibits in other Zoos.

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I love Hamerton, but all I will say is that the lack of progress on the Malayan Tiger enclosure when I visited last month was astonishing, given they have lived in a 1960s style outdoor cage since last summer! It wouldn't be so bad if work hadn't started on a less urgent nocturnal house & meerkat enclosure since the tigers arrived!! No excuses please!

The only recent equivalent I can think of is Colchester not finishing their new sun bear enclosure whilst building several other new ones long before the Bear exhibit opened

6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I'd like to think that zoos are thinking about budgets here and working to a timeline set by contractors; by remaining flexible, contractors will charge less I suppose. While one exhibit is waiting for it's contractor to become available again, another one can proceed as their assigned builder is free. I was there yesterday and noticed that the guys working on the otter build are not mentioned in Quincey's post, so wonder if that kind of explains it.

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. littleRedPanda

From the facebook

It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Bengal Tiger Ladybelle.
    Lady's health had been deteriorating over the last few months, and was receiving daily medical care from her keepers and vets. Unfortunately in the last week she deteriorated rapidly and yesterday the decision was made to put her to sleep.
    She had a wonderful life here and was loved by everyone who met her. Her naughty, mischievous, yet affectionate personality made her a hit with all the keeping staff. She will be sorely missed, especially by her life long partner in crime Blizzard, who remains on show in his paddock.

9. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

1.2 Canadian Lynx were born 17th May :)

10. littleRedPanda

I've just seen the baby Pudu pics in the gallery. How sweet! I might have to renew my season ticket earlier than I planned.

Has anyone seen the Serval lately? Last few times I visited, there was only one visible, although the grass was very overgrown.

11. KevinVar

KevinVar Well-Known Member

Hamerton currently keeps three servals but most of the time they reside in the upper parts of the indoor enclosure which has fairly poor visibility. In the summer you probably have the most chance of seeing them outside in the late afternoon. :)

12. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited today & saw a swamp wallaby in the old cheetah enclosure next to the vulture/Crane/stork aviaries. How long have they been there? Didn't see them on my last visit in March?

13. littleRedPanda

I noticed a wallaby in there a few weeks ago but paid not attention to it tbh.

14. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

They arrived a couple of months ago atleast

15. littleRedPanda

Their Malayan Tiger enclosure is open today, according to Facebook. World Tiger Day, so it might be a bit busy, but i'll maybe go if work doesn't pick up.

16. littleRedPanda

Only the male Malayan Tiger was allowed out to roam while I was there this afternoon; I don't know his story, but his back looks crooked to me, but I'm no expert :(

The actual enclosure is quite large, almost encircling the viewing tunnel, but apart from the water feature, it has nothing more than a couple of mounds of dirt for now. For me as a photographer it is disappointing as the only near decent background (the water feature) is blocked by the most wire fencing.

17. KevinVar

Asian small-clawed otters and binturongs are now on-show in the new enclosure.

18. littleRedPanda

I've popped in 3 times this week as working locally and finally saw them today.

Do they only have one Binturong now? If so, it hasn't moved yet.

19. KevinVar

The new enclosure is supposed to house a new pair that was previously behind the scenes. The other pair of binturongs should still be in the lemur house, as far as I know.

20. Bele

Bele Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope to visit Hamerton soon . I have had a look at the current stock list on ZooTierListe and was surprised to see greater grison which are listed as arriving in 2015 .

Does anyone know if this is correct and whether they are on show ? Would be brilliant if the answer to both questions is yes !!!!