Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DesertRhino150, 12 Jan 2019.

1. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited today. The Reptile House was closed, but apart from that I saw most of the recent arrivals that have been on show. The Sumatran white-bearded palm civets showed well in mid-afternoon, although I hope they were more impressed by my white beard than I was with theirs ;) The tiger quolls showed well too and the dingos were very active, chasing each other around their paddock and playing together. The normal and golden brush-tailed possums appeared for their late afternoon feeds. I was not surprised that the wombats were asleep in their dens, but I did see them. The tree hyrax were nervous about their outdoor enclosure, but I got some photos of one on the threshold. I must mention the barking owls too, very cool birds :cool:

Last edited: 1 Jul 2019
  2. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

Sadly not Tree Hyrax - but that would be a very Hamerton-esque species!

ThylacineAlive and TeaLovingDave like this.
  3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Still annoyed I narrowly missed the ones at Prague and Plzen :p

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry :oops: One did sit on a branch very briefly, so I think it was deliberately trying to confuse me.

ShonenJake13 likes this.
  5. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A new reptile species has arrived at Hamerton - three William's dwarf geckos (Lygodactylus williamsi) have recently arrived and will be joined by more soon. They are currently being housed off-exhibit in the education unit but will be moved into one of the newly-renovated vivaria in the reptile house.

More information is included in the link below:
    Hamerton Zoo Park - Animal Park Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

ThylacineAlive and ShonenJake13 like this.
  6. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Some news from Hamerton - a Tasmanian golden brushtail possum joey has recently been born. It has been suggested that this is the first time this animal has been bred outside of Australia, but the news article does ask if anyone knows further information. Probably something that a ZooChatter may know.

Another new birth mentioned in the same article - a nest of baby Spinifex hopping mice has recently been spotted and is the first birth to the group received from Queensland earlier this year.

The article in question is included below:
    Hamerton Zoo Park - Animal Park Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

7. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Excellent news.

Flower (1929) records that the species Trichosurus vulpecula bred regularly at London Zoo with at least forty-eight being born between 1857 and 1924.

I don't know, though, whether any of these births were of the sub-species fuliginosus; I'd need to do more investigation.

(Incidentally, a London Zoo animal was the type specimen of fuliginosus.)

8. hmb_zoo

hmb_zoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm heading out there this afternoon as it happens to will have to keep my eyes peeled!

TNT likes this.
  9. Bib Fortuna

Bib Fortuna Well-Known Member

Tricosurus vulpelca bred serval times also at Frankfurt in Zoo in 1895,1896,1930,1938,1939,1941,and each year between 1965 and 1969. I'm sure, there were successful breeding also at other european zoos at this times, it was a very common species.

Tim May likes this.
  10. hmb_zoo

hmb_zoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The work on the reptile house is now finished, Ben was giving it some finishing touches on Thursday when I was there and it's looking really good. He's currently thinking of a way to best display the Williams Dwarf Geckos, not sure when they will be on show yet.

Max Blundell likes this.
  11. Chez

Chez Member

Hi all, how many cheetahs are there at Hamerton and what are their names and any known history. Anyone know the names of cheetah cubs that moved to Australia. Many thanks.

12. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

3:1 cheetah (siblings) arrived at Darling Downs Zoo in 2017 from Hamerton.
    The female, ‘Sansa’ moved to Taronga Western Plains Zoo and was part of a female swap with Darling Downs Zoo.
    According to the zoo, the three males arrived unnamed (not sure if the link works). I’m not sure whether they had other names during their time at Hamerton.
    Two of the brothers moved to Hunter Valley Zoo and are called ‘Aibu’ and ‘Jabari’.
    The remaining male from the import stayed at Darling Downs Zoo and is called ‘Hasani’.
    Pardon my ignorance but has Australia received any additional animals/ species from Hamerton?

Last edited: 20 Jul 2019
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  13. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Hamerton have departed some litters of binturong, bettong and Corsac foxes.
    “Animal moves to and from the Park involve other zoos all over the World, as we have a wide network of friends and contacts in many countries.

In the past few weeks two young Javan Binturongs born at Hamerton have been sent to Ventura Wildlife Park here in England, making room for the most recent litter of babies born in late spring.

Yesterday two Corsac Fox puppies left for zoos in Halle in Germany and Brno in the Czech Republic, both to make up new breeding pairs in those zoos. The pup going to Halle is especially interesting as this brings us full circle, as the very first Corsac Foxes to be seen in the UK were imported to Hamerton from Halle over a decade ago. Most of the animnals now seen, both in this country and on mainland Europe, are descended from animals we bred over this period.

Another important departure being arranged now, is the move of three young female Rufous Bettongs born at Hamerton this spring to Jihlava and Brno to pair up with the males we sent last year. We hope that this should help the establishment of the species in European zoos following our receipt of the founding animals from Queensland last year.”

14. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And we are so excited to welcome them here! :)

ThylacineAlive and pangolin12 like this.
  15. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For the latest information on next Saturday`s IZES meeting at Hamerton please go to the Events and Meetups forum. Thanks.

16. drill

drill Well-Known Member

ZTL lists Hamerton as having Squirrel gliders.

DesertRhino150 likes this.
  17. Tim May

Indeed; a very recent arrival. They've only been there a few days but they were very active and clearly visible yesterday.

18. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

Are they are on general view?

19. Tim May

Yes, the squirrel gliders can be seen in the same building as the sloth.

littleRedPanda likes this.
  20. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I must thank Andrew for his generosity in hosting the IZES event this last Saturday...the sun shone(thankfully not as fiercely as last year),we had a record attendance, and all attendees got several bonuses, not least of which was the chance to see a newly arrived species not seen in a European collection since the very early sixties(see above).