Join our zoo community

Hamerton Zoo Park Hamerton Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by DesertRhino150, 12 Jan 2019.

1. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would like to echo Tim's comments and also thank Andrew for his generosity and patience. Cool dude.

2. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah...just remembered that someone said Wroclaw had had Squirrel Gliders as well as London back in the day(I dont know how true that is)..for sure they are the only ones at the current time and looked quite superb(like Sugar Gliders on steroids).

devilfish likes this.
  3. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Agreed - an excellent day all round.

devilfish and Brum like this.
  4. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

I have finally organized myself to go to Hamerton on Saturday - can anyone advise if there are any feeding times that will make anything shy easier to see or specific times when species are more likely?

5. sooty mangabey

sooty mangabey Well-Known Member

There aren't feeding times as such, but if you can stay until the end of the day you will probably see animals being fed. That aside, get there as early as you can: on Saturday, at 10.00, I was able to have excellent views of a number of the carnivores that had disappeared from view a while later.

oflory likes this.
  6. oflory

oflory Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

Had my first trip to Hamerton on Saturday- despite the gale-force winds managed to see pretty much everything (the back of a sleeping possum counts, surely?).

What a fabulous place and I will be back in the autumn/winter when the nocturnal house is built. Are the ringtail possums (who I couldn't find) as well as the ringtails going on display in there?

I also wanted to thank @TeaLovingDave for his excellent public transport directions! Thank you also to @sooty mangabey for his advice on getting there early - the grisons came out to say hello at about half 10 and then disappeared for the rest of the day.

7. Mo Hassan

Mo Hassan Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

As far as I know, the ringtail possum will be in the nocturnal house with the ringtail non-possum (when I last visited, the possum was off show but the keeper was surprised when I mentioned I actually saw it well when it was living in one of the binturong/primate buildings).

8. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hi everyone - I'm going to try and get to Hamerton on Thursday. Is there another collection to combine with a visit here? I'll be travelling from near Twycross, Leicester way...(having driven up from Devon the day before).
    Thanks.

9. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I did the zoo with Linton in 2016.

~Thylo

10. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

@TriUK Shepreth is a similar distance as Linton from Hamerton

11. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We did it with Linton after leaving Birmingham at 8 am and we did schedule Shepreth in as well but skipped it due to a couple of factors. If you're on your own or have time to spare then all three should be quite easy to do.

12. hmb_zoo

hmb_zoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hamerton posted on Instagram / Facebook yesterday a video of the litter of Spinifex Hopping Mice just born - I have hopefully copied the link to each page and inserted them correctly!

ThylacineAlive, Maguari and Mo Hassan like this.
  13. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hamerton's flock of greater flamingos (which originated from Blackbrook Zoo) have successfully nested for the first time. At one point thirteen eggs were being incubated and there are currently five chicks at various stages of growth.

More information can be found in the link below:
    Hamerton Zoo Park - Animal Park Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

14556, Brum, Kifaru Bwana and 2 others like this.
  14. hmb_zoo

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

16. hmb_zoo

Only the one from what I could see - am hoping to go again this week so will keep a special look out for them (I only live 25 mins away!).

17. hmb_zoo

I went again yesterday and saw their keeper Chris, there were 3 in the main enclosure with their parents, one in their night enclosure being hand reared and one other that wasn't on show that is older. The 3 in the main enclosure are different ages judging by their sizes. I took some photos let me know if you want me to post one here for you.

18. DesertRhino150

DesertRhino150 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The William's dwarf geckos at Hamerton will be moved on-show this weekend following the refit of the reptile house. The young gila monsters have moved into a larger enclosure.
    A pair of chuckwalla are due to arrive this weekend and will be followed by blue spiny lizards. This will complete the revamp of the reptile house for now, although one more species change is planned for later this year.

More information is included in the link below:
    Hamerton Zoo Park - Animal Park Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

19. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Always that special surprise that turns out to be a Prehensile-tailed skink or something like that (until I find out it's a Perentie, and find myself eating my hat).

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  20. ro6ca66

ro6ca66 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

The expanded coffee shop is now open; the coffee shop now incorporates a new Aquarium consisting of six separate tanks; these are planned to be completed and stocked over the next few weeks.

I've added a couple of photos to the Gallery, with additional info.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brum, Jennings, Max Blundell and 13 others like this.