Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by zooboy28, 23 Jan 2013.

1. Animalgeek

Animalgeek Well-Known Member

Yes hamilton has 6 males

Ndoki - 1997
    Mkulu - 1999
    Masamba - 2001
    Jabari - 2001
    Ndale - 2003
    Dumai - 2005

2. Bailey13

Bailey13 Well-Known Member

Yes I do :)

3. Bailey13

There was a sign up on the enclosure for tapirs, but they weren't visible. There were two in the next enclosure along - we were there just as keepers came in to give them a feed and a bit of a rub and scratch, which they clearly enjoyed.

4. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Hamilton has a pair of Brazilian Tapirs (the only tapirs in the country), and they used to be rotated between the Spider Monkey enclosure and the adjacent paddock, but I'm not sure if that still happens, as the last few times I have been there they have been in that paddock. Although if the sign is still up then perhaps they do.

Sometimes when they are sitting up against the fence in that paddock you can give them a scratch, they do seem very friendly.

5. Bailey13

We did indeed give one of them a bit of a scratch. We were vaguely acknowledged at first and then ignored :)

6. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

baby pandas born in December last year
    Good things come in threes at Hamilton Zoo - Yahoo! Sport New Zealand

7. Animalgeek

holey that is absolutley great news that is so kwl that there were triplets wow.

But I am glad that mother Tayla had 1 cub Ketu first as she has gained exspereance in cearing for her cubs evin thoe one died I rekon if she had had these boys first she may have got stressed and abandoned thme so great news that they are doing well hopefuly there will be 3 at Auckland next year to!!!

8. zooboy28

Too Close Encounter

Extremely lucky: Hamilton Zoo keeper Walks Into Tiger enclosure | Stuff.co.nz

9. driftaguy

driftaguy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In my opinion, a 1-year suspension from working with the tigers is a bit harsh, since it was only Sali (who was worked with hands-on at Dreamworld)! Although this probably would have been a different story if it was Jaka or Mencari in the enclosure.

10. Steve Robinson

Steve Robinson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The principle is the same - irrespective of who the cat is.

With some cats it would have been suspension of life.

With some zoos it would have been suspension for life.

11. Animalgeek

Im so glad that she was hand raised dont want to evin think of what Jake or Mencari would ahve done I think that is good that she got that suspension she might need to be a bit more cearful :)

12. zooboy28

Kokako to be released

It appears that a pair of Kokako from Hamilton Zoo will be released at Puketi Forest (Northland, most northern part of North Island) after no breeding success at the zoo. I believe the zoo has just the one pair, so this species will be lost from the collection. No other ZAA institutions hold this beautiful species, although they can be seen in captivity at Mount Bruce.

Story here: More kokako for Puketi | Stuff.co.nz

13. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A wise and brave move from the zoo ! How long have the kokako´s been at the zoo ?
    Have kkako's even been bred in captivity and if yes where ?
    Hope the released birds will start breeding and creating a new population at Puketi !

14. zooboy28

Hamilton have had Kokako for quite a while, over ten years. I'm not sure how long they have had this pair for, but probably at least 5 years. The zoo previously had kokako in both the freeflight aviary and an off-display aviary for breeding, but I'm not sure if breeding ever occurred. A couple of other zoos have also held this species (e.g. Auckland), but I'm not sure if they ever bred either.

I think most of the work being done to increase kokako numbers is reducing predator numbers, and reintroducing the birds to new areas, e.g. Puketi. I don't think captive breeding is a major component of the programme, but I imagine they would have been bred before.

These birds probably have a reasonable chance of breeding success, especially if they weren't a compatible pair and can find good mates in their new home. Kokako can live for 40 years, so they should have a few years left.

15. Chlidonias

Auckland, Otorohanga and Mt Bruce have all bred kokako. Mt Bruce in particular has bred quite a lot for release. The pair at Hamilton were always going to be released back at Puketi if they didn't breed at the zoo (it wasn't a decision of the zoo itself).

16. zooboy28

From the census, I see that the female half of the fishing cat pair has died, leaving just the male as the sole representative of his species in NZ, and the only male in the region (two females in Australia).

17. Chlidonias

that's a shame. They had given up on that pair anyway - and I don't think there's any intention of trying again - but still sad.

18. zooboy28

Yes, they tried quite hard with that pair, sadly unsuccesful. I guess they could take one of the Australian females and give it a go, but I doubt they will.

19. Chlidonias

he's about nine years old now, which is getting on a bit (apparently they live up to twelve in captivity says Google*, so nine must be considered "old age" I suppose). But no, they aren't planning on getting him a new mate as far as I know. Would be nice to send him to Australia though to see if it does any good pairing him with one of the females there if they aren't also too old.

*Although Hamilton's female must have been at least thirteen when she died because she was ten when she arrived there in 2009

20. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member