Join our zoo community

Hamilton Zoo Hamilton Zoo News 2021

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Zoofan15, 5 Jan 2021.

Tags:
  1. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Yeah the hosts have been told nothing since they were told she was pregnant but 80 days seems too long for any good news.
    One of the hosts had a long story about the process the zoo went through allowing the younger dog (Itanya?) to pick which of the males to bond with.
    I wonder what the medium term plan is with this species at Hamilton? It would seem they want the back enclosure for Otters, and the enclosure by the safari area is a lot more modern, though the viewing isn't as good.
    For the back enclosures hopefully the new director goes down a SEAsia theme rather than the carnivore corner from the master plan, there is a lot of room down there that is very poorly utilized.

2. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Gestation for this species is 71 days, so I’d expect to see obvious signs she’s lactating by now, though the pups wouldn’t emerge from the den for a few weeks. Itanya picked Romeo as her mate, which led to Kudu being removed from the pack and introduced to Msaka (non reproductive female).

I much prefer the African wild dog exhibit by the tigers. It’s a decent size to accomodate a large pack and there’s multiple viewing areas. The hillside exhibit has been useful for splitting the packs, such as when the females from Christchurch were being introduced.

The zoo’s masterplan is embarrassingly backwards - with precincts like Carnivore Corner as opposed to the arrangement by geography modern zoos follow. Carnivore Corner also isn’t much of a precinct when they only have two species - tigers and otters.

3. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

There is so much space in the 'carnivore corner' which is poorly used. I think two off displays housing deer, a plantation and the miniature donkeys?

On space, I'm quietly hopeful that eventually we will see the wetlands and native species move over to Waiwhakareke now it is joined with the zoo. The zoo could then focus on exotic species and also reclaim some of the 'wetland' space which is really poorly managed.

Looking at the plan for Waiwhakareke there are hints in phase 5 after predator proof fencing (which also enables managed entry) animals will start to move across, though who knows when that will happen. The new Director was also hired in part for his experience with ABQ Biopark with a similar model envisaged for the zoo/Waiwhakareke.

4. Zoofan15

Ring-tailed lemur birth:

A Ring-tailed lemur infant has been born - the sixth this year, following the birth of five infants in September.

5. Zoofan15

Plains zebra export:

Two zebra mares have been exported to Australia:

0.1 Kiva (03/10/2017) Malawi x Zalika
    0.1 Imivimbo (08/12/2017) Malawi x Marble

This leaves Hamilton Zoo with seven zebras:

Herd One:

1.0 Malawi (12/03/2012)
    0.1 Marble (06/10/2003)
    0.1 Zalika (30/11/2011)
    0.1 Pebbles (10/01/2021) Malawi x Marble
    0.0.1 Unnamed (31/10/2021) Malawi x Zalika

Herd Two:

1.0 Okavango (27/12/2019) Malawi x Marble
    1.0 Zambia (30/12/2019) Malawi x Zalika

6. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Hmm, so along with the inward red panda and outbound rhino transfer that is 4/9 international transfers accounted for. I wonder what the other five planned 2021 transfers were?

Other than meerkats or reptiles I can't think of where a gap for inward animals would be. I don't think there are any new enclosures being constructed along with the new entry precinct though there is a 'growing wild' area which might have small enclosures.

7. Zoofan15

I don’t think any animals for the “Growing Wild” area will be imported in 2021 as it was obvious from the outset that wouldn’t be completed this year.

At a guess, I’d say after the two remaining meerkats pass, they will get a large sibling group from Wellington Zoo.

The zebra herd would benefit from a shake up considering their stallion has been in residence for almost a decade. Whether he and his two sons would be exported; or whether they’d be transferred within New Zealand I don’t know. They’re well represented in the region, so I’d guess the latter. A new stallion and a new mare would be beneficial given the relatedness and representation of the current herd.

8. Zoofan15

Spider Monkey Update

The young male, Aranyo, has been transferred to Wellington Zoo (there’s another one of your transfers, @Matt_C).

The eldest male, Diego (born 1990), has apparently died, having been removed from the zoo’s online list. He came to Hamilton Zoo from Auckland Zoo, where he was their breeding male. Diego sired several offspring at Hamilton Zoo.

The merging of the two troops gives Hamilton Zoo a fully integrated troop of 1.9 spider monkeys.

Salsa is a proven breeder - having sired Aranyo in 2016; though interestingly, Aranyo (not Salsa) sired the only other infant to be born in the troop since Salsa and Tostada were imported as new breeding males.

Current troop:

1.0 Salsa - 24 March 1994
    0.1 Jeneill - 17 October 1984
    0.1 Beulah - 29 December 1985
    0.1 Becky - 4 September 1987
    0.1 Jessie - 20 June 1996
    0.1 Bodie - 9 September 2001
    0.1 Borneo - 28 December 2002
    0.1 Besede - 20 June 2004
    0.1 Izarra - 14 January 2006
    0.1 Belize - 17 September 2020

Matt_C and steveroberts like this.
  9. Zoofan15

Bison death:

The zoo’s bull, Kaiya, has died while undergoing a medical procedure. He was born at Hamilton Zoo in 2009 and has sired many calves. His death has reduced the herd to seven bison:

1.0 Doug (25 Nov 2020)
    0.1 Aira (5 Dec 2011)
    0.1 Karen (13 Nov 2017)
    0.1 Jaimee (28 Mar 2018)
    0.1 Rayleen (16 Dec 2018)
    0.1 Daisy (1 Feb 2019)
    0.1 Pauline (10 Jan 2020)

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  10. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Sad to read about the loss of Kaiya. The zoo really underutilizes the Bison herd, they are popular with kids in particular but normally very difficult to see, especially for little ones. I hope they eventually get to do something with the savannah area and find dedicated space for north american animals. The new director has close ties to the US and seems interested in imports from the region (he was director at ABQ Biopark).

Will Doug be a breeding bull for the herd or would they look at trading him for an unrelated bull?

Wisp O' Mist and Zoofan15 like this.
  11. Zoofan15

In the short term, I imagine they’ll keep Doug on for breeding; but back in 2019, there were plans to source Bison semen from North America:

Gore is planning on trying to develop an artificial insemination programme in the coming year - looking at bison.

“Most of the bison in Australasia came in one big group many years ago and there hasn't been much new blood. So what we are doing is going back to America and seeing if we can get some totally unrelated bison from our bison and try and bring the semen into the country."

Giraffes, tigers and tapirs - a day in the life of a Hamilton Zoo vet

Wisp O' Mist and Matt_C like this.
  12. Zoofan15

13. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Hamiltons entry precinct has opened which is a pleasant surprise:

First step towards 'world-class' wildlife destination in Hamilton

There is also not so subtle hints that the nyala, weka walk and smaller primate ensures will open over the holidays. Also the comments of a wildlife precinct as well as new investment in the zoo from the mayor are welcome.

Zoofan15 likes this.
  14. Zoofan15

Bison calf born:

A Bison calf has been born to Aira.

The male calf was sired by Kaiya, who died last month. The calf has been named Kai in his honour.

Wisp O' Mist likes this.
  15. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Hamilton zoo has reopened the cotton tops, pygmy marmosets and the weka walk (various native birds and reptiles) just before Xmas. The only enclosures yet to open are the nyala and the eel pond.

The new eel pond is along the weka walk and in a horrible state, but otherwise the walk is looking great. The new entry precinct is nice and modern but it so far lacks child friendliness and the cafe prices were eye-watering.

Also apparently there is no 'confirmation' that new meerkats nor a male porcupine are coming to the zoo, so may be a longer wait for those. Regarding the black and white ruffled lemur girls going to Willowbank apparently this was under advice from species stud book manager and Hamilton hopes to retain/breed the species in the future.

16. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Hamilton zoo has begun free flight training with a macaw for future education and encounter programmes.

The zoo is also battling a major pest problem, which has resulted in the losses of several birds, including some whole species previously held in the free flight aviary. Rats also appear to have entered the new tuatara exhibit.

Lastly the bison calf is doing well and on display, it was good to see their herd up close for once.

Attached Files:

Patrick Keegan likes this.