Join our zoo community

Handbook of the Mammals of the World

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Books about Zoos & Wildlife' started by Hix, 7 Jan 2009.

1. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World is a fact. With 800 new Primate and 102 extinct species illustrations. The Up to date Taxonomy with 27 orders, 167 families, 1,343 genera, 6,562 species, means that a lot of a new splits will be accepted.
    Pre-publication offer until September.
    Illustrated Checklist of the Mammals of the World – Lynx Edicions

2. Kevin

Kevin Member

New illustrations and pages now showing on the Lynx website

twilighter likes this.
  3. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting that they have included new well-supported splits, like Cervus hanglu and splitting Giraffe in 3 species, but have not lumped back unsupported splits from HMW volume 2 (Beisa oryx in 3 species, splitting Sable).

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I notice, also, five Colocolo species, three Oncilla species, and already the new Red Panda split is included as well.

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

New artwork for primates too!

6. twilighter

They tried to put in order the controversial taxons Cervus hanglu and Cervus elaphus, but is funny that the illustration of ssp. yarkandensis (not illustrated in HMW2) is the copy-paste of the ssp. maral, just with different coat colour.

Carlos M likes this.
  7. Carlos M

Carlos M Well-Known Member

It seems that they did the same thing with the two Metachirus species: they only changed the color of nudicaudatus to a darker tone. Also, some of the Leopardus cats seem copy pasted with just minor modifications: L. emiliae with L. tigrinus tigrinus, L. guttulus with L. tigrinus oncilla, and L. munoai and L. garleppi with L. colocola.

I was hoping to see some of the rodents illustration improved, specially those that didn’t match the coloration of the animal they were supposed to portrait (like Peromyscus mayensis and Peromyscus grandis, as exposed in the blog of Mammalwatching.com), or some of the bats whose artwork is, in my opinion, of lower quality compared to those of Ilian Velikow (see some of they Myotis bats, the Nycticeius genus or Rhyneptesicus nasutus). But with those downfalls in the illustrations, I don’t have so much hope...

twilighter likes this.
  8. twilighter

Looks like Toni Lobet is not going to take part in the Checklists, so all the new splits that are missing in the initial volumes will be his drawings with a new colour. At least Ilian Velikov is the author of the most new Primate illustrations. I checked with him about a new volume III possibility, but he didn't confirm.

9. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I doubt if a new edition of volume III will be produced, although 'Primates' (Primates – Lynx Edicions) may be classified into English.

twilighter likes this.
  10. Carlos M

I think not all new primate illustrations are going to be made by Ilian Velikov; Lluis Sogorb (one of the artists in volume 9) seems to be drawing neotropical primates for the checklist, according to his instagram account. Also, they’re going to keep some of volume 3 illustrations according to a response in a comment on Instagram...

11. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is anyone saving up for the 'Handbook of the Insects of the World'?

12. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

You say that there will be three volumes.

Do you know whether there is or will be a volume that focuses specifically on the Neotropical primates ?

13. Carlos M

No, what I was saying is that for the upcoming Illustrated Checklist, Ilian Velikov is not going to be the only artist behind the new primate illustrations: Lluis Sogorb seems to be also contributing for some neotropical monkeys (like the genus Cebus, Sapajus, Plecturocebus, and Saimiri). Also, some of the Stephen Nash illustrations included in the original Volume III are going to be kept in the checklist. That’s what I meant :D

14. twilighter

Interesting. I hope they not going to keep a lot of Stephen Nash's.

15. twilighter

The illustrations of the Galago's family in the new Checklist are drawn by the South African bird books author Faansie Peacock (FB)

Carlos M likes this.
  16. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

He’s a superb bird artist, I look forward to seeing these!

Carlos M and twilighter like this.
  17. Carlos M

I think he (Faansie Peacock) also drew some bats for volume 9, right? I don't have that volume to see and compare his drawings of mammals, but the image of the galagos seems of good quality .

Just out of curiosity, Does volume 9 indicates the authors of each plate, or are just they all listed in general at the list of plates?

18. Tetzoo Quizzer

Tetzoo Quizzer Well-Known Member

Listed separately; Faansie Peacock did a plate of Pteropus (plate 11), 3 full plates of Myotis (72-74) as well as some species on 70 (3 species) and 71 (17). 7 artists altogether.

Carlos M likes this.
  19. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

This book is out now, as readers of Mammalwatching are probably aware.

I had a look at Lynx's "Coming Soon" page, hoping to see a "Mammals of Indonesia", but the only one on there is "Mammals of China".

20. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I just ordered myself the checklist. How can I follow my order?