Join our zoo community

Healesville Sanctuary Healesville Sanctuary news 2016

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Jabiru96, 8 Jan 2016.

1. Jabiru96

Jabiru96 Well-Known Member

In line with the 'Melbourne Zoo news 2016' thread that I started, Healesville Sanctuary has also had some accidental deaths within the last year. These include leaf-tailed gecko "euthanised after suffering hind leg and tail injuries when caught in door", two mountain pygmy possums "drowned in a pot holding branches in the exhibit", and spotted tree frog "hopped into the path of closing door and was killed":

No Cookies | Herald Sun

2. MikeG

MikeG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

"The two possums drowned in a water-filled pot holding branches. Sticks have now been placed in the pots so that animals can climb out."
    This sounds very odd - why couldn't the possums climb out via the branches that were apparently in the pot?

3. Jabiru96

Twin male platypus have hatched. From Facebook:

4. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

That's awesome! Unfortunately I visited the weekend before last, so don;t think I will be able to get back out there this weekend. :(

5. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

they're not twins if they hatched from two different eggs though, are they? Only if they had hatched from the same egg.

6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

That's an interesting question. Deriving from two eggs with the same birthdate and parents in mammalian terms would surely make them non-identical twins? So maybe for platypuses also?

7. zooboy28

I realised I didn't provide an update from my first visit to the Sanctuary a couple of weekends ago. Overall not much to report, but a couple of big developments are underway.

Firstly, the Wetland Birds Aviary is inaccessible, as it is closed for "exciting renovations". Looking forward to seeing what this will entail.

Secondly, the Koala exhibits (that also displayed echidnas and wallabies) has been demolished, with the area to reopen mid-year as Koala Forest. This will display koalas and echidnas via an elevated boardwalk and include play and presentation areas. The boardwalk will also link across the existing path through to the Brolgas to the Kangaroo walk-through exhibit, which is to include Red Kangaroo, Parma Wallaby and Rock Wallaby (see photo below for map).

This redevelopment will eventually include the rest of the Kangaroo exhibit, in two further stages. The first of these will cover the half of the existing Kangaroo exhibit closest to the koalas and include the previously listed macropods, a presentation area, a megafauna play area, a rocky cliff area, a potoroo and bandicoot sanctuary, and the Pouch House, for baby kangaroos and wombats.

The final stage covers the rest of the existing kangaroo exhibit, and is mostly a walkthrough for the Kangaroo Island Kangaroos. It also includes a presentation area, potoroo and bandicoot sanctuary, stream, bridges and a boardwalk around exhibits for Tree Kangaroos. The overall plan (I imagine subject to change and with no dates yet) is below.

Other than that, the Sanctuary was looking good, with little else notable to report. A Mareema Sheepdog has taken up residence in the smaller Dingo exhibit, I think with some of the Dingos. The Lyrebird Aviary has reopened, but the renovations they have done have been minimal, I only noted the addition of a small presentation area where they do scatter feeds for the birds.

Attached Files:

8. Jabiru96

9. Jabiru96

The platypus twins have been named:

10. Jabiru96

Healesville is cutting the number of venomous snake species on display from six to just two (eastern tiger and lowland copperhead) to make way for a new 'Nightlife' exhibit:

No Cookies | Herald Sun

11. zooboy28

That is a very confusing article. :confused:

But, I think it boils down to this:
    Currently, the Sanctuary has both a large nocturnal house and a smallish reptile house, located in two separate areas. The article says that venomous snakes will be removed from the reptile house, with two going on display in the animal hospital and four leaving the collection. This is to free up staff for "Nightlife". This doesn't suggest there will be any changes to the Nocturnal House, and I suspect the empty snake exhibits in the Reptile House will be populated with other, non-venomous reptiles.

Nightlife itself appears to be a new show, expected to start in 2018, based in a presentation theatre near the main cafe (I think this is currently used for school groups mostly). Nightlife will feature potoroos, possums, gliders and owls.

Nightlife Info: Nightlife Trial Experience | Zoos Victoria

12. Jabiru96

13. Jabiru96

14. Jabiru96

Koala Forest has opened: Koala Forest open! | Zoos Victoria

15. zooboy28

It will be interesting to see if they have done anything innovative with the echidna exhibit - e.g. viewing at ground level or view-able burrows. Looking forward to checking it out after the school holiday hordes.

16. Jabiru96

17. zooboy28

Healesville recieved a then-two year old female Goodfellow's Tree Kangaroo from National Zoo & Aquarium a year ago. She is being trained for close encounters (sign me up) and hasn't gone on display yet. With Tree Kangaroo exhibits planned for the later extensions of Koala Forest, presumably she will end up on display there eventually.

Story & Photo here: Mani Birthday wishes for Goodfellow's Tree-Kangaroo | Zoos Victoria

18. Jabiru96

19. Jabiru96

20. Jabiru96