Join our zoo community

Hello Fishkeepers

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by ZooBinh, 31 Mar 2018.

1. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10 gallon tank? Get it planted up real nice, toss in a small school of cardinal tetras, a dwarf gourami, a small group of cory's, and a handful of amono shrimp. Everything is peaceful and fairly easy to keep, and there will be activity in all levels of the tank.

Greenshank, birdsandbats and ZooBinh like this.
  2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Another great idea here, though it'd be much more appropriate for a 20 gallon tank, tetras appreciate much more swimming space, as do cories (well, Pygmy cories could live in a 10 gallon tank no issue). Otherwise I'd agree with what you've said here. Maybe even a pair of gourami in a 20 gallon, though there would be potential issues.

3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've kept Common Plecos successfully in 20 gallons before. Smaller individuals seem to do fine in them, mine never got bigger than maybe 4 inches.

4. Great Argus

Great Argus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, but you're dwarfing them. They can reach almost 20 inches if space allows.

ZooBinh and birdsandbats like this.
  5. Greenshank

Greenshank Well-Known Member

Are you sure they weren't bristlenoses? In my experiences common plecs get huge regardless of tank size. Though all sorts of species get traded under both those names

Great Argus likes this.
  6. ZooBinh

If they were truly common plecos, there may have been an issue, such as stunting going on :( .

Common Plecos get huge, some examples : (smaller individuals are just younger animals)

upload_2020-12-20_16-51-11.jpeg
    upload_2020-12-20_16-51-19.jpeg

7. Greenshank

Greenshank Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't delete my post but I guess I'll have to take that back

8. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They were at least sold as Common Plecos, though looking online that means they could have been anything. I'm not sure what species they were.

ZooBinh likes this.
  9. Great Argus

The only pleco I would put in a 20g would be a Rio Negro Pleco, they top at 3-4 inches. Anything else is too big.

10. Great Argus

Yeah a lot of plecos are mislabled, and many catfish are in general. Huge family with a lot of similar (and frequently undescribed) species makes it complicated.

11. ZooBinh

It's possible, yes. Always good to be wary of these things though :) (for reference, a good tank size for most plecos that grow as large as a common would be, say, around a 125 gallon aquarium?).

red river hog and birdsandbats like this.
  12. Great Argus

At absolute minimum! My 6 inch Gold-spotted pleco is pretty large in my 100g even.

ZooBinh likes this.
  13. ZooBinh

If it's already quite large in a 100g imagine how large of a tank (pool at this point :p ) would one of these suckers need?? :D

[​IMG]

dublinlion likes this.
  14. Great Argus

Huge haha! I'm not sure what species that is but it's an interesting one!

ZooBinh likes this.
  15. ZooBinh

Neither am I haha, closest I can find is Blue-Eyed Pleco.

16. ZooBinh

Been a few months...but some updates!

I'll take pictures later but currently I have:

2.1 Betta
    0.0.8 Vietnamese White Cloud Mountain Minnow
    0.0.1 White Cloud Mountain Minnow
    0.2 Peacock Gudgeon

red river hog and Great Argus like this.
  17. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hello "Fishkeeper"

ZooBinh likes this.
  18. ZooBinh

Good day "not a Fishkeeper" :p.

19. DaLilFishie

DaLilFishie Well-Known Member

Picked up a Queensland Combtooth Blenny, Ecsenius mandibularis, a few weeks ago, posted a pic in another thread but not here. Had never seen one in the aquarium trade before this specimen. Refused to feed for a while, but is now feeding on nori. Still no luck getting him feeding on frozen or flake. Getting along nicely with a Banggai Cardinalfish and Sixline Wrasse. Care seems much the same as other more popular Ecsenius blennies like E. bicolor, but with a smaller maximum size and a more vegetable-based diet.
    Queensland Combtooth Blenny - ZooChat

birdsandbats and Great Argus like this.
  20. Northwest_FIsh_Keeping

Northwest_FIsh_Keeping Well-Known Member

I should start exploring other areas of the site like this one lol, this is my specialty! I've been keeping fish for about 8 years now, both Fresh & Salt. Over this time I've kept some oddballs and rarities like Elephant Nose, Knifes, Puffers (salt and fresh), Tanganyika Killifish, etc.

Now my biggest challenge that I've spent the 1 year and a half researching on with help from Jay Hemdal of the Toldeo Zoo (Specifically the Aquarium) is a 125 Gallon Tank for a group of Split Fin Flashlight Fish. I've always been amazed by the Cal Academy's Walk in Flashlight Fish Tank (Steinhart Aquarium to be exact) and then i found out you can have them as pets! The problem though is that many people impulse buy Flashlight Fish, often throwing them into tanks that are very improper for them like Reef Tanks, even FOWLR tanks. Theres too much info to go over, but I'm super excited to give them a proper home + try some captive breeding if i can, i have a couple ideas on what could trigger them to breed.

I'm half way through the setup process right now, i have the 55g Quarantine Tank up and cycling, the 125 in the garage (where itll go) just not setup yet, i have the filtration, HUFA additives, etc. Only stuff Im missing is Dry Rock, Mortar 500 (Dry Rock cement to build structures), and a spot for the tank to go, which will be soon. If self promo is allowed, i can post the Reef2Reef Build Thread of the whole thing here so you can see my progress so far + whats to come