Join our zoo community

Hello Fishkeepers

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by ZooBinh, 31 Mar 2018.

1. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

You know, I've been thinking about keeping Tequila Splitfins, maybe I could try that instead?

2. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Not a bad idea, but have you ever kept Goodeids before? I don't know much about the care of this species - but I do know that some Goodeids are easier to keep than others. Do you know anyone who can advise you (and supply you with some stock too, perhaps)?

3. ZooBinh

I think this seemed reliable.
    Z. tequila - Zoogoneticus tequila
    And I don't have much experience with goodeids, but the website said this species was pretty easy to take care of.

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

OK, but if you want to keep an endangered species you should aim to breed it, and that will need 2 tanks.

5. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I have a freshwater tank (10gal) that currently houses 2 cardinal tetras (I’m looking to get more) 2 Kuli loaches, 1 dwarf gourami, and 1 amino shrimp. The tank has been doing relatively fine for almost 2 years but just yesterday my gourami started to swim in an odd matter (upside down, sideways, etc) he has been in the tank for almost a year without any issue. The water was fine but just in case I cleaned the tank. I ended up separating the gourami in a small medicine tank to see what’s wrong with him. His body has been curved somehow into an S shape and it’s preventing him from swimming properly. Right now he’s still alive but he’s on his side. I really don’t know what’s going on so if anyone can help me that would be really great

I really didn’t know where to put this so I thought this thread would work. If it doesn’t can moderators move it to its own thing titled “Sick gourami” or something similar.

6. ZooBinh

You should make an account on fishlore.com to help your fish problems. It probably has iridovirus, which is caused from mass inbreeding, so I recommend if you get another, you have to know where it comes from, as most Dwarf Gouramis from generic brand pet stores are inbred. The worst part about iridovirus is that there is a 99.999% chance the fish will die.:(

7. TheEthiopianWolf03

TheEthiopianWolf03 Well-Known Member

I got this one from a breeder in Concord. I presumed it DGI but I wanted to hold on to hope.

8. ZooBinh

What is this breeder's name?

9. Windtalker2k18

Windtalker2k18 New Member

I have worked in the trade for about 2 years and gave advice about fresh , pond and marine fish. have kept all different types of fish from guppies to discus

10. ZooBinh

Cool!

11. ZooBinh

I set up my shrimp tank last night, it is cycling. DSCN2061.JPG

12. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dwarf gouarmi lifespan is relatively short, two years would be old, so I do not think this is related to the dreaded virus; that would likely have shown much earlier than this. It was probably 4-6 months old when you got it.

13. ZooBinh

They live actually 4 years, so 1 year is relatively young.

14. Pacu

Pacu Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Interesting, what is your source for that?

15. ZooBinh

16. squirrelmonkey

squirrelmonkey Well-Known Member

Does anyone on this thread keep Rainbowfish? I currently have a 240 Litre tank (shared with my dad), which is stocked with multiple different species of melanotaenia rainbowfish, a breeding shoal of peppered corydoras, and a flying fox. I also have my own nano tank (24L) which currently has four flame guppys, and a shoal of corydorus habrosus (salt and pepper).

Also Zoobinh for your shrimp tank i would recommend getting some moss. The shrimp feed of it. Moss balls are an incredibly easy to look after and cheap option.

17. ZooBinh

I used to keep Australian Rainbowfish in a 70 gallon along with other fish, the tank was given away, but we kept the fish until they died, the male rainbowfish was the last one to die, lived about 5 years.

My shrimp tank is actually cycling right now, I have sand substrate, and driftwood with anubias plants. I will also get rocks, snail shells and some java moss, it's just the store didn't have that stuff while I was there.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2018
  18. squirrelmonkey

squirrelmonkey Well-Known Member

Over the years I have kept many different species including Boesemani, Blue (Lake Katubu), Red (Lake Sentani), Australian, Splendid, and Trifasciata (Goyder River). There is a few more but I can not remember them off the top of my head. Hoping to upgrade to a 350L tank next year.

19. ZooBinh

I am thinking about having a giant school of rainbowfish in a big tank when I grow up.

20. SpinyLiving

SpinyLiving Well-Known Member

I used to keep guppies, 2 goldfish, and a panda fish in a 5 gallon tank
    It was a small but interesting setup
    I never got around to breeding the goldfish and guppies though :(