Join our zoo community

Hello Fishkeepers

Discussion in 'Private Collections & Pets' started by ZooBinh, 31 Mar 2018.

1. squirrelmonkey

squirrelmonkey Well-Known Member

rainbowfish.jpg I would say they are one of the most colourful freshwater fish out there. Cichlids are nice, but i love the aquascaping you can do with a rainbowfish tank. Here is a picture of the tank from over a year . There is no longer the Loaches or the Australians, with new additions being boesemani, Trifasciata and the shoal of peppered corydoras.

NigeW and Swampy like this.
  2. ZooBinh

ZooBinh Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That looks a bit overstocked. Maybe you should upgrade to a 265 gallon, but if you don't, you should get rid of the cories, then the tank would be a bit less crowded. Or the flying fox and 2 or three rainbowfish. Or 3 rainbowfish.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2018
  3. ZooBinh

That's horribly overstocked, 2-3 male guppies can live in the 5 gallon, and the 2 goldfish will need around 55 gallons. Just so you know.

4. SpinyLiving

SpinyLiving Well-Known Member

Really? They did just fine and lived a long time

5. squirrelmonkey

No offence to you ZooBinh, I know you mean no harm, but I have been keeping Rainbowfish for the past ten years. I think you could say I have a bit of experience with them. As I said, this is an old picture. There are no longer the Loaches or the Australian rainbowfish. Also 265 Gallon thats like over a 1000 Litres. This tank is 240L and like I said when I save up the money I plan to upgrade to a 350L. Currently I have 12 rainbowfish, 8 Corydoras and one adult flying fox and I would say there is room for maybe two more rainbowfish. In that photo their is 12 rainbowfish, 5 loaches and a flying fox. You must think my 24L tank is overstocked too with my 4 guppys and a few salt and pepper corydoras. I will post two up to date photos of both my tanks tomorrow for you.

6. ZooBinh

How long?

7. ZooBinh

Oops. I meant 265 litres. No offense taken. So that is an old pictures, and upgrading to the 350L is utterly amazing! But yes, your 24L is overstocked, maybe upgrade to about 15-30 gallons. (57-113 Litres)

8. SpinyLiving

Couple years
    It was sad when they died
    The panda fish was the saddest cause I got it a year before I got the rest of the fish

9. squirrelmonkey

ZooBinh just want to ask you what all Fish you have kept and over how many years, because you seem to be one of those people that just quote stuff they read online without having first hand experience. I have had my 24L running for 6 months to a year and all the fish are doing fine. Though I will definitely agree that keeping goldfish in a 5 gallon tank is insanely cruel.

Quick edit: By panda fish do you mean a panda corydorus. They are a social fish and should be kept in shoals of six of more.

10. SpinyLiving

Man :(
    I'm sorry poor goldfish
    I'm new to the fish keeping game
    I don't keep fish anymore because i got a dog so I don't have time to take care of any fish
    I didn't even know:(

11. ZooBinh

My amazing did he used to be a fishkeeper, and he has taught me so much about many fish, platies, mollies, plecos, rainbowfish, guppies, koi, goldfish, angelfish, frogs, we have kept all of those species at one point, (at separate times). We used to have a 70gallon which held all of these species at least once in it's point. Anyways, as some people have health problems, we couldn't keep that tank anymore, but the experience was very teaching. That started about 8 years ago, so 5-10 years is my answer. I currently have 3 Honey Gourami in a 6 gallon (wasn't my smartest move, my first few fish that I have had full responsibility over, I was also having some personal problems at that time). I also have the 1.5 shrimp tank that is currently cycling, and will also set up a 10gal community tank in the future.

12. ZooBinh

It's ok. Everyone has rookie mistakes, I made one too, read above.

13. SpinyLiving

Are you guys talking about regular goldfish or big goldfish though?

14. ZooBinh

Regular goldfish (like the 10 cent ones) get big, so there is no difference.

15. SpinyLiving

Oh mine stayed small
    That's why I was asking

16. ZooBinh

Even the fancy goldfish will need a pretty big tank, and that's like the smallest goldfish there are, and they need about a 20-gallon or something (have to check my notes again).

17. ZooBinh

If they stay small, that means their growth was stunted, that's a big no-no.

18. squirrelmonkey

Zoobinh for a 10 gallon set up I would recommend a nice shoal of tetras such as rummynose tetras over cichlids, especially if you want to keep multiple types of cichlids as you said earlier on in the thread.
    SpinyLiving regular goldfish do grow rather large. The Fancy goldfish would be one of the smallest and they still grow to about 8 inches.

Edit: ZooBinh hadnt posted his fancy goldfish point yet. I promise I didn't steal his point. :p

19. ZooBinh

I am getting a pair (probably a female pair, or just 1 male) of Betta imbellis, a small school of Celestial Pearl Danio, even though that might change, and some Asian Stone Catfish. Also some Tiger Shrimp.

20. SpinyLiving

Thanks for letting me know
    If I ever get fish again I'll take this into consideration

squirrelmonkey and ZooBinh like this.