Join our zoo community

Hello from Big Sky Country

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lynn Glock, 25 Jan 2018.

1. Lynn Glock

Lynn Glock Member

Facilities Coordinator for the Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary in Red Lodge, Montana

Arizona Docent likes this.
  2. agnmeln

agnmeln Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat!

Lynn Glock likes this.
  3. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome!

4. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to Zoochat!

5. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Really great to have a member from Montana, especially someone on staff at a zoological facility! In case you have not noticed, there is a listing for YWS on ZooChat already. We look forward to you posting news on their thread here: Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary - Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary and posting photos in their gallery.

I will be making my first visit (as an adult) to Yellowstone National Park this September with my cousin. We are both photographers. We are spending six nights in Canyon Lodge (already booked) and probably two nights in Jackson Hole (not yet booked). Your facility is a bit far, but maybe we will have a day to check it out.

Lynn Glock likes this.
  6. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Welcome to ZooChat! I've visited hundreds of American zoos and in 2015 I posted this short review of Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary on this site:

Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary:

Yellowstone Wildlife Sanctuary is a non-AZA accredited facility located in Red Lodge, Montana, and it was founded in 1991. It was known as the Beartooth Nature Center for many years and in 2007 the society purchased 20 acres of land in nearby Roberts, Montana, and the long-range goal is to shift operations there. All of the animals are non-releasable native Montana species and the sanctuary is heavily dependent on local volunteers. The enclosures are all wood and wire contraptions and the animals are for the most part survivors of car accidents or ex-pets.

Species List: American Black Bear, Grey Wolf, Coyote, Red Fox, Cougar, Canadian Lynx, Bobcat, American Bison, Rocky Mountain Elk, Yellow-Bellied Marmot, North American Porcupine, Domestic Ferret, Sandhill Crane, Turkey Vulture, Great Horned Owl, Short-Eared Owl, Swainson’s Hawk, Red-Tailed Hawk, Prairie Falcon, Raven, American Crow and Eastern Box Turtle.

7. Lynn Glock

Lynn Glock Member

If you can ever get back you would notice huge changes and currently we are working on a new wolf enclosure.

8. Lynn Glock

Lynn Glock Member

If you have a chance to go on the Beartooth highway to Red Lodge you should. It is beautiful.

Arizona Docent likes this.