Join our zoo community

Hello from Indonesia

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Salt Merchant, 6 Sep 2020.

1. Salt Merchant

Salt Merchant Well-Known Member

There's not really much I have to say, but I just really enjoy visiting zoos and aquarium. I've been to many zoos and aquarium in Java, but I'm probally going to visit another zoo in another country in the future (I always dreamed to visit Singapore Zoo).

Nice to meet everyone

2. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

welcome

Salt Merchant likes this.
  3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome!

And feel free to share your local zoo news, reviews of zoos, interesting wildlife development or whaterver else in the forum. We donĀ“t have enough members from that part of the world and language barriere makes it not easier to find out what exciting is happening there.

4. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat

5. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to Zoochat! Hope you get to Singapore sometime! It's also on my to-do list ;)

6. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to ZC! As an Asian Zoochatter, I love more people in Asia joining. There are a lack of them here and I hope you can share more valuable information in your part of the world.

Hope you can visit Singapore soon!

Arizona Docent and Salt Merchant like this.
  7. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat!

8. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is very nice to have a member reporting from Indonesia. And I greatly appreciate the news you already shared about the Sunda clouded leopard at Batu Secret Zoo.

9. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zoochat Nandito!

10. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Welcome.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Selamat datang Nandito!

12. Zooish

Zooish Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome to Zoochat! Hope you get to visit Singapore in the near future.

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Nandito, we would all appreciate your input and feedback from zoos in Jawa, not just the Taman Safaris in Bogor and Prigen, but also major zoos like Batu Secret Zoo, Ragunan Zoo in Jakarta, and Surabaya Zoo. Not to mention Bandung, Semarang and Jogjakarta ....

I do hope you can get to see Singapore and Kuala Lumpur Zoos before not too long.

14. Salt Merchant

I'll try my best to do that

15. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Welcome to zoo chat Nandito, looking forward to hear more about the zoos in Java!

16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome!

17. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

18. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zoochat! Glad to have an Indonesian member and hope you provide us information from zoos and wildlife in the country!:):)

19. Salt Merchant

Can't believe its been three years since I joined on ZooChat. Can't believe of how much I grew up ever since.

I actually found out about this website like around early 2020 or even in 2019. I accidently found a photo of an red giant flying squirrel on Google (red giant flying squirrel (Petaurista petaurista) - ZooChat), back then I think I was making random google searches on some obscure Taman Safari Bogor species (I.e Cuscus Taman Safari Bogor, polar bear Taman Safari Bogor, etc.). The background and the surrounding of the flying squirrel looks oddly familiar, so I clicked on it as I was curious. The photo looks neat and I did found out that it was taken at Taman Safari Bogor, and I also found about other interesting stuff that this zoo had and other Indonesian zoos had as I explored further.

I remember fondly how I try and failed signing in on ZooChat for I think for about several months. Finally, on September of 2020, I tried to emailed the website administrator (I think that's the name). I got answer, they explain that it was due to some kind of blocker to avoid spam posts, can't remember exactly. After like months of failing, I finally became a member of ZooChat.

During those times, I visioned myself as a somewhat of a professional ZooChatter (Can't think of a word), giving the best information that I knew of as possible and giving the best picture on the Indonesian gallery to show to the rets of the world. Which, as you can probably tell, is not what happened, both back then and today.

Back then, I'm like that annoying kid that shoved any "cool" thing that he knows of down to your throat. From 2020 and early 2022, my mood was only like "Hey, do you know that this have that, this have those off display, this used to had that, or this housed with that". The only thing I cared back then, is just making hundreds of posts telling peoples that these specific zoos have or have had that species.

I definitely felt like I ruined the Indonesian gallery. Most of the time, I took a screenshot from someone else YouTube visit to these zoos and aquariums, and shamelessly spammed these crappy-quality images on ZooChat and just, "Oh, this used to be displayed but they no longer was, this is housed with this and this", or my usual "photo taken at x year".

I always felt so awful of this time period, the only thing I cared of was that these zoos have, in the opinion of past me, the most "rarest and unique" species, complete, nothing else. Especially Batu Secret Zoo and Lembang Park and Zoo, yeah, especially the latter. I used to be a massive fan and bootlicker of this zoo, I'll fought a goddamm internet war for this zoo if I had to, just because this place have what back then I perceived as "rare" species. If Lembang Park and Zoo acquired anything I perceived as "rare", 2020-2021 would just go:

That was until 2022, when I realized how awful and entertainment-oriented this zoo is. From around mid-2022, my view kinda changes, for the best for me and had to be for the worse for the Indonesian forum. Since then, my posting was the usual news, reviews, and all that, but sometimes with a mix of a emotional rant. Like the one at the Bandung Zoo thread which is the bigger one, like a absolute Twitter thread rant. Though, I will always stand with these believes until proper reform of this zoos and aquariums, but damn, the way I convey my beliefs felt like one of those "Sir, this is Wendy's" meme. I treat that forum like my own personal therapy session, its like as if I tried to gather a mob for a revolution or something with how sometimes fiery I am, which is not the case since these have barely any engagement.

So yeah, ZooChat have had a huge impact on me honestly. Especially regarding my view on Indonesian zoos and aquariums, the "If this zoo had rare species, then it is a good zoo". I used to bashed Taman Safari Bogor only because they have what I perceived as "downgrade species", now the things that I bashed about them is their treatment of elephants and other important stuffs.

So yeah, just felt like I need to share this because why not? Especially in my very first post where I introduced myself to everyone else on ZooChat. I think people might consider this as just another silly, emotional rant by me, whatever you think man that's alright. Just felt like sharing this because why not?

Thought ZooChat have quite a number of members that I think have the same old belief as mine, including a couple or two that I'm very aware of.

Emanuel Theodorus likes this.
  20. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Honestly, I really love to have you around in this forum. Having a fellow ZooChatter from Indonesia is a nice surprise, and you helped giving the Indonesian parts of the forum flourish more as well. Shame I didn't really do that, but I really love your contributions to it.