Join our zoo community

Hello from Norwich!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CiaranDUK, 6 Sep 2009.

1. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

Hey everyone! My name is Ciaran! I'm 19 (20 in November!) with great aspirations to be a Zoo Keeper. I was born in Edinburgh and used to live right beside Edinburgh Zoo. I have fond memories of going to the zoo (on a regular basis!) to see the 'Rhinosissos' which was a very early word for me! As I lived in right in the city, I had next to no access to the countryside so my love for animals, wildlife and the environment has come directly from Edinburgh Zoo. So I have a lot of thanks to give Edinburgh Zoo as I have wondeful memories of the Zoo.

I currently live in Norwich where my local zoo is Banham Zoo. It's not a patch on Edinburgh Zoo but it's a very nice place to go for a good 4-5 hours. At Banham Zoo, the exhibits are nicely landscaped and well planted and I have NEVER seen any of their animals stereotype.

Banham have some good animals for a small Zoo like Siberian Tiger, Snow Leopard, Bactrian Camel, Sri Lankan Leopard, Maned Wolf and many of the more endangered species of Lemur including Sambirano Bamboo, Sclater's, Red Bellied and Black and White Ruffed, etc. Banham specializes in Lemurs and the smaller Primates like Golden and Golden-Headed Lion Tamarin and a few species of Marmoset.

I believe that Banham Zoo tries hard to bring education and different species to the public but as it's a small Zoo in a county with relatively few people, it hasn't a huge amount of funding which I believe is a real shame. So I ask you that if you fancy a weekend away sometime, visit Norfolk and Banham Zoo. :)

I Thank You... *Bows*

2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

welcome Ciaran to zoochat

*appalause* :)

3. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat Ciaran

4. foz

foz Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.

5. BonkersBlake

BonkersBlake Member

Hey up Ciaran, I went to Edinburgh zoo for the first time just after easter this year and I thought it was amazing!!! I did a study on the rhinosssiss lol! I was very impressed by rainbow landings too. I've been to Banham once before (on the most freezing cold day you can imagine) and really enjoyed it there too, don't remember too much of it though.
    Anyway great to have you on zoochat!

6. CiaranDUK

CiaranDUK Well-Known Member

Hey thanks very much. I haven't been to Edinburgh Zoo for years so I haven't seen Rainbow Landings. I have heard it is very good though. Banham Zoo is a very nice half-a-day out but isn't really a patch on Edinburgh!