Join our zoo community

Hello, im new, need advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by alexslattery, 9 Jan 2017.

1. alexslattery

alexslattery New Member

Hi,
    im 17 years old and concdering a career as a zoo keeper, i wanted to do this since i was a little girl but didnt think i could, but now ive decided to chase my dream and have no idea where to start, im looking at a qualification in animal care and animal behaviour does any one know where this can get me? thanks!!!

2. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello Alex. I'd advise you to consider becoming a volunteer keeper at London Zoo. See Keeper Volunteers for details. I know a few people who have done this and become paid keepers. If you become a paid keeper, you can receive the relevant training without building up debt by taking a degree. I also suspect that having practical experience in animal care will help your potential care more than a paper qualification with little practical experience.

3. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Don't discount going to University. I know keepers who went and found jobs right after their degree! I hope to study Biological Sciences at The University of Birmingham (Basically Zoology) where i'll have a years work experience in a zoo; that's dependent on my results this year of course. That way you get both the knowledge and experience; best of both worlds. Alternatively, you can apply for courses such as Zoo Biology at Nottingham Trent, a course that sets you up to be a keeper perfectly.... it all depends if you're more academic (Birmingham) or practical (Nottingham). Hope this helps.

4. overread

overread Well-Known Member

Few thoughts:
    1) It's becoming increasingly the case that a degree (sometimes just any degree) is often a requirement (if not written then expected on the part of the person reviewing applications) just to get past the initial CV review.
    In general some want to see that a person has dedication and maturity toward something and a degree gives them that confidence; it also sets up a general level of standard of education regarding things such as written english; maths skills; note taking; self learning etc...

It is not impossible to secure work without a degree; but sadly sometimes its harder to advance up the ladder later on without a degree in your pocket - and trying to work whilst also studying a degree is tricky (esp once you're past the student age and have potentially gained additional responsibilities and reduced chance to travel - which cuts down on your choices of places to study and the courses you can take).

2) I know people who went to work and have got good jobs without a degree and vis-versa so there's no hard and fast rule; only a lot of uncertainty and personal theories and viewpoints.

3) I would say your best approach is to consider:
    a) IF there are any specific areas you want to focus upon - eg mammals; apes; birds; fish; reptiles etc... From there look at individual courses on offer from the various universities to see which might fit best. Look at the second and third year content most of all as that is where the most variation will be site to site.
    Also don't forget to look at generalist topics too such as zoology - it might be a generalist topic but the second and third year specifics allow you to focus and its another way to gain useful theory and study.

4) Look around locally both where you are now and also where any uni you apply to is and see what you can find in voluntary work (paid is unlikely - good if you can get it but expect to work for experience*. A said in your area London Zoo would be a prime spot to check; but if you can travel you can get access to a wide range of sites in the surrounding areas as well. Many places (not all) can pay for travel expenses even if you won't get any formal pay otherwise (keep hold of receipts for fuel/train/bus).
    Voluntary work counts a lot in this area of work and also lets you gain practical hands-on experience in the field which is invaluable. It also shows a strong level of dedication and also lets you begin the work of networking within the working industry itself.
    Even if its just once a week for an afternoon - even if most of is going to involve a brush, shovel and wheelbarrow or other mundane tasks.

5) Keep an eye out for local events to attend; again this can be a good chance to network and talk to keepers and others working in the industry. Being forward; polite; giving good conversation and generally being known is a big thing in the world. Furthermore it might open doors that otherwise you might be unaware of (eg you might get some voluntary work at a site dealing with rare species or such).

6) Keep a log of your experiences and work; little things DO count and skills you pick up shouldn't be forgotten. If you work at one site and spend ages fixing broken pens that's a skill and real world practicalities of working on a site.

Note that through all this talking with those working in the field can give you more focus on where you're going to take yourself and what are good choices and options to consider. Sometimes a university might not be as high ranking in all subjects but might have a very respected course within a certain subject area.

Also don't let all this distract you from your current studies as you're heading up toward the last part of your A-levels (I would assume). Make sure you get them in the bag and don't take too much time out away from them to the point where your grades suffer. Even if they are not related topics the better your score the more choice you have getting into different unis (sometimes you can get in without meeting their expectations, but you've got to make up for it a lot in interviews and being forward and showing a real understanding of the subject you're applying for - far easier to get the grades and push in that way).

*Don't get taken for a mug though. Voluntary work (esp for those looking to carry on into employment as opposed to those in retirement who are just looking for a worthwhile way to fill time) is like ANY job and things must go both ways. They must get fair work out of you; but you must get a gain out of them. If that's not financial then its got to be elsewhere - training; experience; diversity; information; references; etc... So do talk to the person taking you on about your plans for the future and do express interest in taking part in new things or if rare opportunities come up.
    Those are your payment; your reward for the work you put into them.

if you find yourself not getting anything back do speak to those in charge; be polite and express your interest to further yourself and your worry that what you are gaining is not working toward that goal. It's very easy for people to let the volunteer's experience slip their mind every so often or for busy sites (esp those open to the public) to have less time to dedicate toward volunteers so sometimes a smaller site might not have the "clout" or networking that a bigger site has; but you might get more instruction and experience. So its all a balancing act of ensuring that you're getting a suitable reward for your efforts.

5. overread

overread Well-Known Member

My sister did her degree and landed a job not a few months later at Exmoor Zoo caring for their birds.

Keep in mind that certain species are going to be more popular than others; mammals is very popular whilst birds is far less so; as a result there is less competition. So don't turn your nose up at experiences that might let you get one job that lets you get a foot in the door which lets you then focus on the area you really want to get into - or at least lets you secure work in the right industry of your choice whilst you work toward that job you are mostly trained for.

TNT likes this.
  6. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree with Overread that you should think carefully about the animals you want to work with. I have received several e-mails from people who want to work with tigers, lions or elephants, but I suspect that they would have more chance finding employment if they were prepared to work with less popular animals. The head librarian at the Zoological Society of London thought that the following would be useful:

7. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

If I were you I would send every single major and minor zoo in the UK a letter or email. I would explain your current situation, ask exactly what qualifications and experience they require for entry-level keeping staff, ask for advice on how to gain said requirements and also what other things you could be doing that might not be necessary but would be beneficial, and finally ask them if they would consider providing you with any opportunities to get experience or supporting you in some other way.

If you send enough of these I would imagine you will get all sorts of interesting responses. I would send them to both the HR Rep. at the zoo and directly to some member of the keeping staff if that contact information is available.

Good luck.