Join our zoo community

Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ungulata, 12 May 2008.

1. Ungulata

Ungulata Active Member

Hello All,

Um, feel a bit sheepish for posting an introduction after already having engaged in a couple of threads etc but here goes anyway;

I'm a zoology with conservation student at Bangor University, Wales (along with Thonoir). I have an extremely keen interest in ungulates; particularly African and Asian antelope. The Tragelaphus genus is a particular interest, were I forced to narrow it down! I'm currently planning a dissertation on the Eastern (mountain) Bongo Tragelaphus eurycerus isaaci, which should be an excellent summer's work! I am also interested in cetaceans (not suprisingly, you might say), the cats, and amphibians. I certainly have a soft spot for a frog or two! However, there is very little I am NOT interested in really! My closest major zoo is Chester.

One thing I will just say, and to sound in no way a suck-up, but its great to join such a wonderful bunch of knowledgeable people. Makes me realise just how much there is to learn! :D

Cheers

2. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

Hello Ungulata!

What Birds are you interested in? (Hornbills?)

Yay, 3000th POST!

3. Ungulata

Ungulata Active Member

Hi Writhedhornbill, birds hmmm, any birds really, fascinating creatures. I am especially fond of raptors (who isn't though right?). The secretary bird is pretty awesome, oooo and I find the auks pretty cool - guillemots, black guillemots, puffins, etc etc the "northern hemisphere's answer to penguins". This may be due to some recent uni work on them but they are fascinating. Ooo the ratites too! Nothing quite prepares you when you first see a wild ostrich...:D

How about you?

4. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

Nice to meet you, Ungulata. You like elephants?

are you the kind of person who specilises in the names and profiles of individual animals or just the species in general?

5. Ungulata

Ungulata Active Member

Um, not sure entirely what you mean - you mean in relation to the genus etc that I'm particularly interested in or just in general? I'm just very interested in ungulates, so I guess that means a degree of "speciality" but its more just geeky obsession...

And yes, elephants are wonderful, have you a favourite? African (plains, forest), Asian?

6. dragon(ele)nerd

I can't really explain it, let me try again.
    Do you research about certain individual animals, and captive breeding? e.g. Bong Su of Melbourne zoo? Or do you interest yourself in just researching in general like just the species itself.
    I keep a database of 300 asian elephants of the world's zoos.1.5 gig in total. I know nerd, People think i'm weird a 13 year old boy who knows that much, one reason i have never had a good friend maybe? I am, I guess pretty byist because most zoo info is on Asians. Plus they need more help. The African elephant is no longer endangered, now classified as vunerable. Particularly interested by the magnificent sevn of Kruger, I have the book " Great Tuskers Of Africa"

God, i hurt myself break dancing today

7. Ungulata

Ungulata Active Member

Ahhh, much clearer! Well no, I don't currently have any impressive amounts of data on zoo-held specimens such as you! Thats impressive, and let me tell you, its not in the slightest bit gweird, especially not considering your peers on this forum! This is one place having such vast knowledge of an animals' captive status is downright respectable!

I collect journal articles etc from scientific journals on ungulates in general, everything from parasitic infections of captive specimens, to behavioural studies in the field. I also own a good few books on ungulates covering all aspects such as evolutionary ecology, their links with man (and domestication etc)... they're just a fascinating bunch of hoofed wonders! So I guess that answers your question, I enjoy collecting general research on ungulates.

Kruger is a wonderful place, I was lucky enough to go camping (at Skukuza) during my gap year, phenomenal!

8. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yet another Bangoriad! That means there are at least four of us on this forum who attended/attend Bangor University. Anyone else?

I presume you are familiar with the zoology museum in the Bramble building? Wolfgang Wuster used to be the (rather inactive) curator while I was there. I was lucky enough to be in possession of the keys to the cupboards for a year and what a treasure trove they proved to be! There are some good reference skins of Kiwis and Birds of Paradise, for instance, not to mention quite a few unidentified species. Some huge Hairy Frogs in formaldehyde too. Well worth checking out if you get the chance.

9. dragon(ele)nerd

Ungulata, do you have a fave
    ungulate? Out of it for me it would either be a Malayan Tapir or on of the asian rhinos (three toed range) 犀!

10. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

11. dragon(ele)nerd

Have fun here, or be intrigued

12. Ungulata

Ungulata Active Member

Oops, my internet gave up on me for a few days, so apologies for being a little...absent!

@Paradoxurus - its great to hear you're a fellow Bangoriad also hehe! Charles Bishop is now the curator I believe. Wolfgang seems to be tied up with discovering new species of cobras (hehe).

@Dragon(ele)nerd - a favourite ungulate? NOW you're asking. The tragelaphines (bongos, kudus, nyalas etc) will always have a special place in my heart. But I also adore the gemsbok, the takin and the okapi. If that goes anyway to answering you, hehe. I am currently focusing my research on the tragelaphines though so I guess they win!

Thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcome!

13. okapikpr

okapikpr Well-Known Member

Welcome its nice to have another okapi fan.

14. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Welcome to Zoobeat