Join our zoo community

Henry Vilas Zoo Henry Vilas Zoo News 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by birdsandbats, 31 Jan 2018.

1. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't believe so.

2. EsserWarrior

Despite my last plan to go to the zoo got canceled, I may be going tomorrow. This will allow me to check out all of the new construction, getting pictures of the new renovations as well as view the baby lemurs.

I could also check in on how Yuri is adjusting to going on exhibit.

Last time I was at the zoo, the Prairie Dog exhibit wasn't allowed to be viewed. I am pretty sure the rodents had given birth to new babies. I saw some pictures on Instagram of them, there were obviously some babies in the exhibit - that is if the photos are recent, which I assuming they are.

birdsandbats and StoppableSan like this.
  3. EsserWarrior

I was just at Henry Vilas Zoo this afternoon, I sadly didn't get to see the baby lemurs as the building was closed when I arrived. (I got there terribly late :( )

All of the insect/invertebrate species were moved from their wall exhibits to the center table exhibits. One of the table exhibits was under renovation.

The old Emerald's Tree Boa exhibit now housing Standing's Day Gecko. The old boa exhibit is still under renovation.

The new bathroom building looks very, very nice. The new flamingo viewing also isn't bad. They have a few rows of small plants that will either grow into bushes or trees.

All but two spots on the Somali Wild Ass exhibit were covered with black cloth. The barbado sheep and ostrich signs were taken down, I feel like the exhibits there may be renovated very soon. (Hopefully, the Barbado sheep were never out and the ostrich just isn't an interesting species.)

The prairie dog exhibit was opened again to the public, they do in fact some new babies. They cannot be over a few months in age. There was also only a single bison on exhibit, I couldn't see the other in the stalls and they have no other off-show area. I wonder what may be wrong? I do not know much about the bison at Henry Vilas Zoo.

I have a few photos I could post. I also don't have any knowledge on the baby lemurs or on anything inside the aviary, as it was closed.

4. EsserWarrior

As much as I adore Henry Vilas Zoo, it is surprising how much I don't actually know about the zoo. I've got a few questions that I'd like to know if the answers to, if anyone knows them.

1. Is Chelsea the orangutan going to be allowed to breed with Datu? I don't know if they have any relations, or if Chelsea has over-represented genes.

2. Does anyone have access to behind-the-scenes news about the zoo, like records of deaths, births, transfers, etc. ? I know a few members have access to some of those things for other zoos.

3. What are the names and breeding plans for the Red Pandas at the zoo? I know they've got four pandas, two on-show and two in the Animal Hospital quarantine.

4. What are the relations of the zoos North American River Otters? All I know is that they've got a male named Dragon.

5. What is up with the zoo's Bison? What are their names and genders? (Also, a little extra bit, how do you feel about the exhibit for bison and prairie dogs? I feel like the exhibit should be demolished and replaced with a better exhibit.)

6. What are the names and breeding situation of the zoo's Golden Lion Tamarins? I know they've got them in an exhibit in the Animal Hospital for breeding purposes, they also moved the sloth for the tamarin breeding purposes.

7. Wasn't Piper brought to the zoo to breed with the other Harbor Seals?

8. What are the names, gender ratio, and relations of the Ring-Tailed Lemurs? Are they going to allow them to breed?

9. Does anyone know the names, gender ratio, and breeding situation of the penguins?

5. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Why do you feel this way? I think they are fine.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. EsserWarrior

People don't seemed attracted to the exhibits. I never see people there, at least not in bulk. The prairie dogs are popular, but the bison aren't anything to shake a stick at.

I think the zoo would be better if it replaced them with a better North American exhibits.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps you are right ..., but you are more local than most on here:
    To put it back into some perspective: Is there any development plan in place at all?
    Second: I can imagine the zoo is not in the most affluent part of the state of Wisconsin .....
    So, back to square zero!

BTW: your query as to orang female "Chelsea" - she arrived some time in 2016 from Greenville Zoo - is a negative one.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  8. birdsandbats

Bison aren't very popular anyway. It is almost impossible to make people attracted to exhibits with animals they don't care about seeing. Besides, it's not like they have to go out of their way to see bison. You can see them from Arctic Passage.

Or maybe people aren't aware that the prairie dogs are there. They just see the bison and think that's it.

StoppableSan and EsserWarrior like this.
  9. EsserWarrior

They are pretty hidden, you've got to go up the walkway to see them. You have to have past knowledge of them to know they're there.

They could put a decently sized exhibit in place of that area. The actual size of the exhibit is bigger than it seems. They have a lot of potential to what could be put there. A possible new exhibit for species like Mexican Gray Wolf or Red Wolf would be nice.

Going over to expansion plans the zoo has, I saw in an article that they want a new Asian and African area. I also saw in an older interview that they want Snow Leopards and Clouded Leopards.

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I can help out with a few:

Chelsea was brought in to serve as a mentor to the breeding female, Kawan, if Kawan were to breed again (https://www.channel3000.com/news/local-news/26-year-old-orangutan-new-at-henry-vilas-zoo/213832965). I haven't seen anything yet about plans to involve Chelsea in breeding.

Piper, aka King Julian, arrived from Milwaukee in 2016, to breed with one of the females (Henry Vilas Zoo welcomes new harbor seal).

I'm not sure about the specifics, but I know that Henry Vilas had a penguin chick in 2013 (at the time, their first in 16 years - Henry Vilas Zoo Welcomes New Penguin Chick in Ce... - Dane County Press Releases).

Lastly, in my opinion, the prairie dog exhibit is quite good - it's large, has plenty of digging areas, and many of the little rodents running around. If I remember the bison exhibit right (it's been a few years), it's about so-so in size, and would benefit from a replant - this may be hard with a grazing species like bison though.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would a multiple species exhibit work for the bison area?

BTW: I really would like to see more US zoos to go into prarie dog species way out from the regular black-taileds Cynomys ludovicianus.

12. birdsandbats

Don't think so. It's not large enough.
    I know, right?

13. EsserWarrior

The Prairie Dog exhibit is quite nice. I think it would be a good idea if the zoo just renovated the entire area, though. They could make a better Prairie Dog exhibit, add some new species to the zoo, as well as get rid of the old badger exhibit. ;)

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. EsserWarrior

I'll be visiting the zoo today, so I'll upload any photos I take. I'll also be uploading old photos (from all zoo's I've been to) to clear up space on my phone, so I'll specify on new ones.

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. EsserWarrior

Henry Vilas Zoo has announced that Yuri the Amur Tiger is finally going out into the exhibit. They're also combining their Black-and-White Ruffed Lemur families back together.

I'd also got complete species lists for some buildings at the zoo:

Herp. Building
    Cane Toad
    Western Fox Snake
    Rat Snake
    Boa Constrictor
    Alligator Snapping Turtle
    Emerald Tree Boa
    Painted Turtle
    Common Map Turtle
    Blanding's Turtle
    Green Anaconda
    Yellow-Banded Poison Dart Frog
    Yellow-and-Blue Poison Dart Frog
    Red-Eyed Leaf Frog
    Golfodulcean Poison Dart Frog
    Strawberry Poison Dart Frog
    Green-and-Black Poison Dart Frog
    Standing's Day Gecko
    Lichenose Leaf-tailed Gecko -- NEW SPECIES
    Desert Tortoise
    Gila Monster
    Eastern Massasauga Rattlesnake
    Aldabra Tortoise
    (A few species of Freshwater Fish from Wisconsin are also on display.)

Aviary
    (These are all species on display inside the building, Capybara and North American River Otters are outside.)
    - There are a few species at the beginning of the aviary that I forgot to get the exact names of, but there are piranhas and a few insect species.
    Laughing Kookaburra
    Red-Tail Catfish
    Barred Catfish
    Plecostomus
    Spotted Pimelodus
    Clown Knife Fish
    Pacu
    White-Cheeked Turaco (??)
    Emperor Tamarin
    Blue-Crowned Motmot
    Brazilian Tanager
    Red-and-Yellow Barbet
    Red-Vented Bulbul
    Yellow-Rumped Cacique
    Blue Ground Dove
    Orange-Rumped Agouti
    Red-Capped Cardinal
    Red-Crested Cardinal
    Chestnut Teal
    White-Faced Whistling Duck
    Sunbittern
    Blue-and-Gold Macaw
    Geoffroy's Marmoset

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  16. EsserWarrior

Henry Vilas Zoo's director, Ronda Schwetz, is now in charge of orangutan conservation through SAFE. This was announced on the zoo's Facebook.'

-

On another note, could the zoo possibly be establishing the Asian and African portions of the zoo? The African Lions had been shifted into the old Amur Tiger exhibit, which is right next to the White Rhino (an exhibit that will be getting renovated) and the Reticulated Giraffes.

The Barbado Sheep and Ostrich, two species that are near the giraffes, have also been off-exhibit with "Pardon our Dust" signs in their exhibit, despite surrounding construction being done. The Flamingos also got another viewing area added to their exhibit. The Somali Wild Asses are also newer additions to the zoo's collection.

17. EsserWarrior

UPDATES
    • There are new Cane Toad and Ornate Box Turtle exhibits, will post photos soon
    • The Ostriches and Barbado Sheep are still off-exhibit with "Pardon our Dust" signs
    • The Lichenose Leaf-Tailed Gecko and Standing's Day Gecko have new signs. Will post a photo of them.
    • The Black-and-White Ruffed Lemurs are not combined together yet. They were broken down into groups of four instead of one big group of eight.
    • The old Emerald Tree Boa exhibit is still under construction. The exhibit is huge so I really wonder what the zoo will put in there.

18. EsserWarrior

I also forgot to mention that the zoo has a fourth meerkat. It is confirmed to be a male, I saw the evidence, haha. This is interesting as I heard the zoo was waiting for the two older females to die before adding more meerkats. I wonder if the zoo would like to breed?

StoppableSan and birdsandbats like this.
  19. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

20. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.