Join our zoo community

Hi everyone, new gal here

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by animalelegirl, 23 Jul 2017.

1. animalelegirl

animalelegirl New Member

Hi everyone I'm the new gal. Mid-30, female located in CA, USA. I was a zoo volunteer and animal sanctuary pachyderm keeper for about 7 years-LOVED IT!! Moved back home after the loss of my mom, to a small town with no zoological garden. Now I am ready to go back into the career that is so close to my heart! I would love to stay in CA preferably in the San Diego area, however the cost of homes are way to high for my budget (I have to purchase a home because I have dogs and cats-can be hard to find a rental that allows pets). Looking to relocate, possibly out of state if need be....wondering if anyone can give me any pointers, advise and/or what do you love about your zoo? Look forward to hearing from everyone...glad to be here!!

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi animalelegirl

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome - glad to have someone with working experience on the site. Most of us are just fans (though as my user name suggests I was a docent for many years).

As I am sure you know, being a zookeeper is an extremely competitive field. Even at the small zoo I volunteered at, they would get a hundred applications from all across the country for one opening. My advice (take it or leave it) is to find a zookeeper job anywhere you can and then move to that city based on it. A college degree in biology or zoology or the like is practically a requirement at most accredited zoos today.