Join our zoo community

Hi from the wild sussex coast

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by GorillaFollower, 13 Oct 2008.

1. GorillaFollower

GorillaFollower Well-Known Member

What a fab find!! Didn't know ZooBeat existed and so excited to be amongst like minded people.

Have spent the last 20 years ( from the cradle!! sort of (if only!) visiting and studying chimps and gorillas, in UK, Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Hungary, US, France and more. Have worked actively to stop the use of chimpanzees in biomedical research and continue to do so.

Spend hours each week with some gorilla or chimp pals in some wildlife park or zoo somewhere and my life has been so enriched because of this. Work intensively to better all animals existences in captivity, and have know some that have been reintroduced back into the wild, which has been extraordinary.

So HI THERE, would love to hear from anyone who shares the same passion and we can compare notes old and new!! I have enough of them!

When I am not sitting in the freezing cold, wondering why I am the only one in the rain or snow both human or gorilla, I am a musician and Integrative counsellor working with performers and creative artists. I also enjoy hours on a beach feeding any herring gull who comes near!! I do have some human friends, honestly!

Nice to meet you!:)

2. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums, am sure Pertinax and you would learn a bit more from talking to each other (esp. regard Gorillas ;)).

3. GorillaFollower

Hey thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it. Thanks for the suggestion, have read some of for the discussion about outside and outdoor enclosures that has included Pertinex, especially about Port Lympne, where indeed the bachelor group are often seen in the more covered in enclosure rather that the massive outdoor space. This is very interesting and continues to intrigue me.

So thanks for the welcome and hopefully we can continue a correspondence ourselves. I see you are in Chester, I have never visited the zoo there but know many keeper friends who have strong connections there.

Cheers

4. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to zoobeat!

5. taun

taun Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if many didn't have good connetions with chester.

I love chester zoo, am hoping they do add gorilla to there collection again. If they do it will be hard to stay away from the place.

6. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

hi welcome to the forum,

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome to ZooBeat (for the few days that it is still ZooBeat). It's nice to welcome another gorilla enthusiast. I try to visit your part of the country each year to visit Port Lympne & Howletts - we're a rather short of gorillas up here, although the news from Blackpool is interesting. On the other hand I'm sure you'll appreciate the chimps and orangs if you eventually visit Chester.

Alan

8. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Welcome Gorlliafollower to Zoobeat, The Gorllias at Howletts are of interest to me, I have some photos of them in the gallery do you have any pics of them, Cheers

9. Marc

Marc Well-Known Member

10. GorillaFollower

Thanks for the welcome

Marc, thanks very much for the welcome. I see that your links are Antwerpen Zoo amongst others? Do you know the chimp group there? I would be interested to hear any news as not had a chance to get there for a couple of years? Good to hear from you:) Cheers

11. GorillaFollower

Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for the welcome. Would very much welcome any news about the chimp and orang groups in Chester. Haven't really visited your neck of the woods so any info would be great. Wonderful times here in Howletts/Port Lympne, so feel very lucky to be nearthose but must take a visit to Chester though as I do hear fantastic things.:)

12. GorillaFollower

Hi Mark and thanks very much for the welcome. Must get some of my early shots of Howletts if I can. They are so fascinating as all those little babies are now fully grown and have youngsters themselves. Of course this makes me feel very old!!

Would love to hear any primate news from your neck of the woods!:)

13. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

About the biggest news at this time that I know of here regarding primates would be the huge new Chimp exhibit at Monarto zoo which should be opening soon :cool:

14. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Hey there, welcome to zoobeat. Just noticed you asked about the Orang group at Chester, so here it is!

Sumatrans (3.4):
    Puluh (born 1988)
    Padang (born 1998)
    Utara (born 2004)

Emma (born 1987)
    Subis (born 1986)
    Budi (born 2004)
    Indah (born 2008)

Puluh is the 20 year old male and the father of Padang, Utara, Budi and Indah
    Emma is the mother of Padang, Utara and Indah
    Subis the mother of Budi
    Emma and Subis are also sisters

Borneans (2.3)
    Tuan
    Sibu

Martha (born 1965)
    Leia (born 1996)
    Sarikei (1983)

Tuan arrived at Chester in 2007 from Antwerp
    Martha is the mother of the now adult pair Leia and Sarikei
    Sibu lives seperately from the rest of the group and will be paired up with a new female and then will leave the zoo. He is related to all the bornean females.

There are numerous photos of the fantastic enclosure in the gallery!

The chimp group is so large that I don't really keep track of who is who, but signs at the enclosure help with that! ;)

15. GorillaFollower

Hey thanks for all the listing. I remember Tuan a little from Antwerp although I know the chimp group more. I am very interested in Sibu, was he born at Chester, I am wondering if he was also at Dublin Zoo at any point or is that just a coincidence of names?:)

16. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Sibu was born at Chester (Martha is his mother) and was sent to Barcelona and then onto Apenheul and has since returned to Chester after failing to breed. I believe the Dublin Sibu is just a coincidence!

17. GorillaFollower

Thanks for clearing that up. It sounds like Sibu has done the rounds like the Dublin Zoo Sibu who was at Dublin and then was in the Netherlands at Rhenen Zoo for several years and now made the front of the Irish Times last week when he returned to Dublin! I wonder if he will settle into the group there. It looks like a nice set up there in Chester. Do you remember the London Zoo orang group about 15 years ago? Sad that they are no more. Also the chimp group there was thriving for years, so very sad to see them dwindle. :( Hope your Sibu returns well after all that moving around!

18. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Many of us here, will be hoping he is paired up soon and moved off to another collection. So the next phase of RORA can be built.

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I believe the Chester Sibu only came back to Chester temporarily because they had the space to accomodate him while its decided what to do with him next.

Whereas the Dublin Sibu(also called Tick) has come back for breeding- though they currently only have one potential breeding female now.

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've been thinking about the name change- I think 'ZooTalk' sounds better than ZooChat...