Join our zoo community

Hi!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RunningDeer, 2 Feb 2015.

1. RunningDeer

RunningDeer New Member

Hi! I am new on here, but have been reading the forums for a long time! :) I am working on making a Zoo (It wont be opened for 8 to 12 years) I am working on all the plans and research now and getting professionals from different fields on our team.

We are working on a timeline of when things need to be done. I am wondering when should I make social media pages to start advertising it to gain support and to keep people updated?

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

There have been many zoos promised in social media but never delivered. My feeling is that early excitement ends up leading to reduced support when the process drags on and on. Don't start promoting the zoo until you are a few short years from opening.... when you know it is happening and you know when. If fund raising is your goal, a FB page won't really help. So be clear on whether you are using social media to build a following (in which case wait) or raise funds in order to create the zoo (in which case use Kickstarter or similar)

3. RunningDeer

RunningDeer New Member

It would be to get a fallowing. I was thinking 2 years before we open, because we will have it over half built by then. Thanks for your input! :)

4. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

Yes, I have heard many praises of Kickstarter from experiences in the art world, lots of people use it to fund major art projects and/or business expansions. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a zoo as well, you could offer things like free admissions or your name on a brick as rewards.

5. RunningDeer

RunningDeer New Member

We are planning on using gofundme or Kickstarter. We were thinking giving people who donate $25 free admission and people who donate $50 free admission and there name on a brick.

We were going to show some of the plans for the Zoo, so people would see this is not just going to be a regular zoo.

We will be giving other stuff for donations as well, but will be focusing on the $25 and $50 donations.

I don't have someone for fundraising on our team yet, but what do you think of the $25 and $50 incentives for that amount of money?

6. Parrotsandrew

Parrotsandrew Well-Known Member

Welcome to ZooChat, good luck with your zoo.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

what sort of zoo will it be then?