Join our zoo community

Hippos

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by BlackRhino78, 18 Sep 2015.

1. BlackRhino78

BlackRhino78 Well-Known Member

I'm planning on visiting WMSP in the next few weeks, i have been a few times before but find it frustrating how far away the Hippos are from the viewing platform is there any way to get closer to them?

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Simple answer is NO,unless West Mids do a keeper for a day experience with them,but I have no idea if they do!

3. BlackRhino78

BlackRhino78 Well-Known Member

I've had a look no experience's :(, I must admit the Hippo enclosure is pretty poor at WMSP, with the amount of hippos there and being a main attraction a better viewing area should of been designed maybe even an underwater view. I like the way Whipsnade have designed their Hippo enclosures WMSP need to learn from them

4. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've seen one or two in the water or on the small bit of land directly under the platform but usually they are on the land area the other side. Its a poor exhibit generally but probably too costly for them to bother improving it. I would at least like to see them have a larger land/grazing area available.

5. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

Your best views of the hippos will be at feeding time. I've been able to take lots of decent photos of them then.

6. BennettL

BennettL Well-Known Member

Actually in zoos with underwater viewing the sometimes even use chlorine so that people can see them rather than hippos that normally live in murky Water not see-through.

BennettL

7. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Like @Bwassa the only times I've seen them up close is at feeding time but I'm not sure if they get fed at the same time every day. Last time I saw a feed it was about 2 pm. I hope that's some help.