Join our zoo community

Historical map of Casa de Fieras / Parque del Retiro de Madrid

Discussion in 'Spain' started by Jonas Livet, 16 Feb 2019.

1. Jonas Livet

Jonas Livet Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hello,

I am looking for a map of the historical zoo Casa de Fieras in Parque del Retiro de Madrid which was there between 1869 and 1972 (before the animals were moved to the new zoo in Casa de Campo).

It seems that quite a few facilities are visible nowadays and I would be very curious to orientate myself on an old map (as I will be there beginning of March).

Both following links have actually been already very helpful to get an idea what to expect on site:

La Casa de Fieras

Casa de Fieras de El Retiro (1770-1972)

Thanks a lot in advance for your help,

Jonas Livet

2. Paradoxurus

Paradoxurus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The green bits are still there... Madrid map coloured.jpg

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In the Retiro Park in Madrid there have been several "zoos":
    -) one next to Cuesta de Moyano (1774-ca 1799);
    -) another next to Puerta de Alcalá (ca. 1779-); At the corner of the streets Alcalá-Claudio Coello there is a plaque on the wall referring to the Bullring of the Puerta de Alcalá, which was related to the aforementioned Zoo (Zoo | Urban Idade )
    -) another next to Puerta de O'Donnell (ca. 1815-ca. 1830), called "Montaña de los Gatos". The Mountain of the Cats remains today;
    -) and another, the so-called Casa de Fieras (ca. 1830-1972) in the Cecilio Rodríguez Gardens. The only map I know is on page 95 of the book "The Zoological Park of Madrid 1774-1994".
    In the Zoo of the Casa de Campo there is, or has been -I imagine that there will continue to exist, but I am not sure- a scale model of the House of Beasts.

There was also another zoo nearby, inside the Botanical Garden (1858-ca.1867).

4. MJB

House of Beasts is Casa de Fieras

5. Jonas Livet

Thanks a lot for all these precious information! I took out of my library my copy of "El Parque Zoologico de Madrid 1774/1994" and I have started to look through it again. What a fantastic publication indeed!! ;-)

Coming back to this historical map of Casa de Fieras from the aforementioned book: any idea when it is dating from? 1967? I believe the general layout of the zoo has not changed much overtime but it is nevertheless always nice to be able to give a year on such document.

MJB, could you tell me a bit more about the Montaña de los Gatos? Where are the remains situated in Parque del Retiro? Any picture of these?

I understand there is some kind of a memorial plaque about the zoological institution which used to be situated near Puerta de Alcalánear but anything about the one near Cuesta de Moyano?

Were all of these institutions already opened for visitors back then? or more simply private menageries? According to some sources, it seems that Casa de Fieras seems to have been opened for the general public from 1868 approximately, at least on a more regular basis?

The zoological institution situated inside the current Real Jardín Botánico de Madrid was called Jardín Zoológico de Aclimatación de Madrid, isn't it?

Thanks again for all,

Jonas

6. MJB

From the map of the Casa de Fieras I do not know exactly the year. Is possible 1967.
    From "Montaña de los Gatos" there are in the internet a multitude of references. Attached a link with a map with its exact location:
    https://madripedia.wikis.cc/wiki/ArtificialMontana
    The installation that was next to the Cuesta de Moyano cost me to find the exact place (and I have searched many times walking there).
    Copy of the book "The Zoological Park of Madrid: 1774-1994" the next paragraph on page 18: we read in the History of Madrid, Bravo Morata: "At this time (1770) had also start the Zoo, being two elephants , male and female, the first settlers. All of Madrid paraded there "... Then it follows that it was open to visitors.
    And, yes: the zoological institution situated inside the current Royal Botanical Garden of Madrid was called Madrid Zoo Acclimatization Garden. There is a magnificent book about him: The Zoological Garden of Acclimatization of Madrid (Aragón, Santiago).

7. Jonas Livet

Thanks again for these additionnal precious details!
    Is it this booklet, available online at the following link?

http://digital.csic.es/bitstream/10261/10061/1/aclimatacion.pdf?

Or this book: "El zoológico del Museo de Ciencias Naturales de Madrid, Monografías del Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales, 2005"? Would you know if this book is still available for sale in Spain? at the museum directly?

El zoológico del Museo de Ciencias Naturales de Madrid

Jonas

8. MJB

Yes. The book is for sale in the shop of Museo de Ciencias Naturales