Join our zoo community

History of Asian Lions in North American Collections

Discussion in 'North America - General' started by MonkeyBat, 27 Apr 2020.

1. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

I was scrolling through Les Zoos dans le Monde (Has anyone else used this website?) And I was scrolling through some older zoo maps from San Diego Safari Park. In one I was quite intrigued to see that they mentioned Asian lions on the map, although I've never heard any mention of them being at the zoo. Even on the zoo's page on lions they never mention Asian lions at the Safari Park

As we all know, Asian lions are no existent in North American zoos, I know Winnipeg's zoo had them, but they moved to the UK I believe. Does anyone know any past Asian lions in North America. I'm curious :)

2. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Four lions of any stock was hardly a good founder base for a breeding program, although I suppose if the genetic mixing was not an issue they might have imported more.

Does anyone know if Indian zoos did eventually establish a program for pure Asiatic lions?

4. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

years ago at the Knoxville zoo in Tennessee I saw a single male lion and the sign stated it was an Indian lion.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

US zoos had indeed a few purebred Asiatic lions decades ago. Unfortunately at some point the small population was accidentally admixed with African lions. It went so bad that eventually they had to stop breeding them and shut down the Asiatic lion program in AZA zoos completely. This continues up to the present day and is not about to change (either). Currently, the AZA SSP concentrates on breeding African lions only.

twilighter and Zorro like this.
  6. bjarki07

bjarki07 Member

I came across this article just a few days ago and came here looking for more information. If anyone knows anything else (e.g., which American zoos had purported Asiatic lions, photos of some of them and/or hybrids in American zoos), I'd be keen to learn more.

7. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It seems some what surprising that the Asiatic were allowed to breed with African lions at what level was this allowed to happen,? were there no safe guards to never allowing this to happen such as having the Asiatics at one zoo with just them only?. I recall the Western Plains zoo displaying the Asiatic only to find out later they were not pure bred I believe they were obtained from the USA, I recall they were then phased out of the collection!

8. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@Zorro, it was accidental in nature in that purported Asiatic lions originating from India where actually already hybrids crossbred with African lions. Whereas some purebred Asiatic lions did enter US collections (f.i. one or another at Knoxville, TN) a substantial number were not and the consequent breeding within this population resulted in a completely hybrid group necessitating species zoo managers in AZA to discontinue the program altogether once the extent of this admixture became fully known. AZA has never considered since to restart an Asiatic lion conservation breeding program where EAZA\EEP did so (even here admixture had happened in the past which was subsequently stopped by managers decisively).

Jungle Man and Zorro like this.
  9. Westcoastperson

Westcoastperson Well-Known Member

Are there any photos of the asiatic lions at the safari park?

10. imaginarius

imaginarius Well-Known Member

What is the current taxonomic status of the lion? I have heard over the years that African and Asiatic lions are separate subspecies, separate populations of one subspecies, and even separate species entirely. Is their genetic tree as controversial as the tiger? It seems there hasn't been a concrete, lasting consensus.

Westcoastperson likes this.
  11. Westcoastperson

Yes it's very complicated especially because of the poor data on Asiatic Lions but it appears they are a separate subspecies that includes Barbary Lions, but it does appear to require revision when there is better data.

12. imaginarius

imaginarius Well-Known Member

Interesting. So Panthera leo leo, panthera leo melanochaita, and panthera leo ____ for Asiatic lions? That seems most logical to me.

13. Westcoastperson

yes Asiatic lions are a part of Panthera Leo Leo but are known as called Panthera leo persica

14. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Just found out Minnesota and Rosmand Gifford had them in the 90's

Dhole dude and Westcoastperson like this.
  15. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Assiniboine Park and Zoo in Winnipeg had a pair of Asiatic brothers for a number of years. Bhanu and Kamal arrived in 2012 from Germany's Zoologischer Garten Magdeburg and they lived in Canada for 4 years before heading to England. Bhanu to London Zoo and Kamal to Chessington Zoo where I believe both have successfully bred.

16. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know that AZA is focused solely on African Lions but any chance that the ZAA could get some Asiatics for zoos in their system of zoos? It'd be nice and then you could have Gir Nat'l Park-type exhibits with Lions, Sloth Bears, Striped Hyenas, Nilgai, Sambar Sarus Cranes, etc.... I think perhaps the EAZA wouldn't mind sending a few over to start a NA SSP.

Austin the Sengi likes this.
  17. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Not reported above but Lincoln Park Zoo in Chicago also held these false Asiatic lions and recieved publicity for a "successful" Asiatic lion birth in the 80s. That story always puzzled me as a kid until zoochat.

Not a chance. The AZA is not interested in new ssps right now, importing new animals is difficult and a new ssp would need a lot of institutional support; around fifteen holders to kickstart, so probably 30+ founders, when probably every major zoo already has lions that look the same to the public and breed well.

Nilgai and blackbuck have also been being phased out so the Gir will likely remain an underrepresented habitat.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  18. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Guess I'll have to visit some EAZA facilities then.....
    However, both were at FL Wild Safari in plentiful numbers!

19. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you mean the hoofstock, yeah, there is a lot of talk about how they survive on game farms, safari parks and private sector; but the AZA is basically discouraging facilities from including them in any new exhibit plans and such.

To clarify I would personally love to see all of these species and think a Gir exhibit would be cool, I don't mean to come off careless!

Sarus Crane likes this.
  20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey In the Swamp Premium Member 5+ year member

I suppose it would be possible for ZAA members to have them, they would fall under their AMP program, if they started one for Asiatic Lions, which seems dubious since they don't really have many AMP programs at all currently. Would any European or Asian zoos be willing to export a founding population to the ZAA?