Join our zoo community

Hix Does Uganda (Part I) - All But A Shoebill

Discussion in 'Uganda' started by Hix, 27 Jul 2013.

1. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hix do you have any other special "targets" except the shoebills and gorillas?

2. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

Are you learning the local language at all Hix, or will you rely on the guides (or do the local speak some English)?

3. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Uganda was a protectorate of the UK until independence, so English is one of the official languages, the other being Swahili. Apparently there are more than 40 different local languages. If I can learn some Swahili when I'm there then I will, but with only two weeks I probably won't pick up too much.

As for other targets, apart from places (like the Rwenzori Ranges), I am keen to see species I haven't yet seen in the wild. This includes lions, as I missed them in Zimbabwe many years ago. African Skimmers, flamingos, turacos, Ugandan Kob (which I won't see anywhere else), Patas monkeys, colobus and galago. Plus things common in captivity as pets like African Grey Parrots and Lovebirds. Of course, endangered species like Papyrus Gonolek and African Green Broadbills would be great too, but might be difficult to see.

:p

Hix

4. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If you don't see them in the wild, I believe Uganda Wildlife Education Centre also has Ugandan Kobs, which I'm sure you know.

~Thylo:cool:

5. OrangePerson

OrangePerson Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Specially since a little research will reveal I started the Willard Price thread on Zoochat and brought up the subject of chopped-up whiskers... :D

Last edited: 31 Jul 2013
  6. Hix

There are large numbers of kob in several of the national parks. I should have no problem seeing hundreds.

Hix

7. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

What's your luggage limit? I know that although you can check two large suitcases with many airlines, but tours often limit you to just the one small bag.

Also, apologies if you said this already, but what kind of vehicle will you be rolling in on tour?

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

If you happen to find yourself in Kamwenge (unlikely), say hi to my cousin for me! They built and run a medical centre there.

9. Hix

Won't be in Kamwenge, but we'll be staying at Kibale which is only about 20kms away.

I asked but didn't get a definitive answer. They suggested a duffel bag. I'll probably end up going with a backpack or suitcase.

Not sure about the vehicle - either a normal 4-wheel drive or a safari vehicle. Probably the latter, with a pop-top roof (I hope).

Hix

10. nanoboy

I am just trying to imagine this. So is it the one vehicle being used to drive between towns as well as to go on safari? Maybe the vehicle will tow a trailer for luggage between towns, then you guys leave your luggage in the hotel, the trailer is unhitched, then you go on safari with a duffel bag each. Or I could be wrong. :D

I hope your vehicle is large enough to give everyone ample elbow room and I hope everyone uses deodorant. :D Don't laugh! I went on a tour of Kangaroo Island in a 4wd modified safari vehicle, and I kept offering everyone spray deodorant very time I put some on. There was also one guy who refused to agree to the rotation of a different person sit in the front seat every time we embarked on a new leg of the journey. That irritated me.

11. Hix

As I understand it, we are staying at lodges in the National Parks. Our luggage will stay in our rooms when we go for a game drive or a boat ride, or trekking. Whether we have a trailer for the luggage I don't know.

I'll be able to provide more accurate details in a little over a month.

Hix

12. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

something I picked up from reading about Uganda long ago (and you are probably aware of it too) is the red dust that covers everything, so protect your optics when driving anywhere.

13. nanoboy

What kind of binoculars did you get?

14. Hix

A pair of Saxon brand. I was going for Nikon or Bushell, but my eyes didn't work with them. The Saxons were no problem.

They're waterproof (important in places that get 3.5 metres of rain each year) and are 10x25 - an improvement over the 7x21 I've had for years (which my eyes don't work with anymore).

Hix

15. nanoboy

Oh that's a compact beauty. I bought 3 cheap binoculars on eBay before I realised that I needed a good brand. I went for a big Bushnell 10x50 something or the other. I can see quite well through it and love it, but my wife can't see very well through it gets headaches. For this reason, I am exploring other options to help her out (like digiscoping).

When you say that your eyes didn't work with the binoculars, what do you mean?

16. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

My eyes often don't work with binoculars, and rarely work with microscopes. It actually works better if I close one of my eyes, but then I could just use a hand-held telescope I suppose...

17. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A very interesting read through.

I am amazed rabies is that expensive in Australia, in the Netherlands I pay 33 euros for 1 injection, and rabies is almost non existing here, except in a few bat colonies. And it is even in our health care insurance, so in the end we do not pay at all for it.

Further I am surprised someone is birding with a 10X25 binocular, I have never met a birder who uses a smaller binocular then 8X40. But apperently it works and that's the most important ;)

I wish you a lot of fun in Uganda :)

18. nanoboy

It's not the size of your optics: it's how you use it! ;)

19. Hix

When I look through the eye-pieces instead of getting a single 3D image, I get two 2D images that do not overlap exactly - it's like double vision. Or I can't see anything except the big black spots. With my old 7x21 I had to close one eye just to be able to actually look at the image. And as my camera with the 70-300mm lens gave a similar view, I haven't used those binoculars in years.

The Bushnells and Nikon that I tried out did pretty much the same thing, but the Saxon worked fine first go.

I was considering getting a 10-30X50, but I'm limited for space so got the smaller ones instead. And I'm not a birder (well maybe, sort-of).

One of the big problems I'm having with the binoculars is finding things. I've been using my camera and a 300mm zoom for so long, even zoomed in all the way when I put the camera up to my eye the thing I want to see is in the frame. But if I see a bird and put the binoculars up to my eyes, I have no idea where I'm looking (due to the greater magnification). It's going to take some getting used to.

Hix

20. nanoboy

Hmm... I suspect my wife has a similar problem with binoculars then. We will have to go to a shop and try a few I think. I bought my Bushnell online.

One problem I found with the smaller binoculars I bought in the past, was that they were no good in low light. But, as you said, you have to compromise due to your space limitations.

Are you taking a satellite phone? I have read that they are pretty cheap these days to rent, like $8pd. According to Google, a prepaid phone card with 75 minutes of air time, will cost $195. Come to think of it, I used to pay similar rates for mobile phone calls in the 90s.