Join our zoo community

Horrible News from Ireland - Seals' severed heads nailed to signs at Dingle sanctuary

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Stefka, 7 Jun 2012.

1. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

That's just disgusting. The work of a very sick person.

:eek:

Hix

3. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree, that is absolutely vile!!!!!
    Who could physically do that to an animal? I'm not overly squeamish but the images did make my stomach turn a little. Truly horrendous!
    I hope they catch the b*stards and string them up! :mad:

(Anyone who thinks I'm over-reacting should check out the images.)

4. BeardsleyZooFan

BeardsleyZooFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Awful. Just awful.:mad:

5. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

More articles:
    Sick vandals mount heads of two seals on Dingle reserve - National News - Independent.ie
    Gardaí investigate after seals’ heads nailed to sanctuary gates in Dingle (pics) TheJournal.ie
    Severed seal heads nailed to Dingle sanctuary sign | BreakingNews.ie
    Severed Seal Heads Nailed To Dingle Wildlife And Seal Sanctuary (GRAPHIC PICTURES)

And of course, everybody is trying to get involved.
    Animal rights groups (ARAN and Sea Shepherd Ireland) have offered rewards totalling up to €7,000 for information leading to the arrest or conviction of those responsible for the deaths of two seals in Kerry.

Reading different forums and discussions, this might not be such a bad idea - it was suggested that given the location of the crime scene (next to the road) and the way it was done, somebody must have seen something.

Also, this case might bring more attention to the very poor wildlife laws in Ireland.

As for me, I am hoping they´ll get caught soon. And I sure hope, that their names and pictures will be all over the media.

6. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Vile and onerous crimes. I suspect a link to local fishing communities ... (given the plaques next to the heads). Old habits die hard(er) ... I am afraid. I would ask those: what was first the egg or the chicken. Yes, the seal .. before fishermen invaded our Seas and decided on emptying them of anything consumable and throwing what is not back into the deep waters ..

Not just media attention, I wish for a swift persecution of the culprits, meaningful sentencing and rightfully upgrading of Ireland's admittedly lax wildlife protection legislation (to bring it into line with EC and Habitat Directives).

7. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

I agree with you, and the link to the fishing community is very obvious. I am, however, trying to keep an open mind - I can´t believe that any sane fisherman would think, that this is a good way to make a point. Right now, people are discussed and angry. If they wanted to make a case for seal cull by this, then they achieved the complete opposite.
    I really hope the media pressure won´t go away.
    (I was pleased to find out that BBC covered the story this morning. I hope more international media will pick up the story and point out to the wildlife crime problems in Ireland. The politicians must realize, that this is important.)

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Appalling!

Alan

9. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

I'm truly shocked by this sick act