Join our zoo community

Houston Zoo Houston Zoo news 2018

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 19 Jan 2018.

1. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

TheMightyOrca and pachyderm pro like this.
  3. Trowaman

Trowaman Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2019? Wow, that's gonna take a little longer than I imagined. Figured it would be the equivalent of laying down a new skin on the lake and redoing Cypress Circle. Sounds more ambitious than I anticipated.

Hopefully when this restaurant is refurbed they can get started on the swapping of Macaw Cafe with the sea lion exhibit and bring in the penguins.

Oh, re the Wetlands, an inside source has told me it will include: Alligators, crane exhibit, eagle exhibit, and a boardwalk connecting it all. Along with the new restaurant. So for those who missed Texas Wetlands that got destroyed when the elephants expanded, sounds like it's coming back in a bigger way, maybe with the alligator gar and alligator snapping turtles too.

StoppableSan and snowleopard like this.
  4. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

In the last news thread, somebody mentioned that two elephants were pregnant, Shanthi has since given birth, but is Tess pregnant?

Kifaru Bwana and StoppableSan like this.
  5. Elephant Enthusiast

Elephant Enthusiast Well-Known Member

Based on the following photos, there is a possibility that Tess may be pregnant.

upload_2018-3-28_13-39-28.png
    upload_2018-3-28_13-40-36.png
    Source: Long Vlog at the BIG Houston Zoo - YouTube
    6:09 - 6:27 Tess & Tupelo (foreground), Thai (background)
    6:40 - 7:00 Shanti (two weeks prior to delivery)
    7:20 - 7:40 Tess & Tupelo (foreground), Thai (background)

If Tess is pregnant, the Houston Zoo has made no official announcement on the pregnancy and it would appear that Tess is somewhere between her first and second trimester of pregnancy.

Since Tess had a miscarriage in June of 2014 and Shanti’s pregnancy was publicized one month prior to her delivery, there is a possibility that the Houston Zoo is withholding this information until Tess is late into her pregnancy.

If anyone can obtain information on the potential pregnancy of Tess, that would be greatly appreciated.

6. Trowaman

I'm the one who originally put it out there.

My information is based on someone who works with the zoo in a fundraising capacity and does some exhibit design work. You would be correct, the zoo does not want to announce anything until it's a certainty. Houston has lost too many elephant calves in its past, it's a very sensitive public relations thing.

TheMightyOrca and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  7. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

And in doing so, absolutely soil upon any percieved trust gained from whatever source that news is found out from.

Which is exactly why it should not be talked about casually on a public zoo forum.

jayjds2 likes this.
  8. Trowaman

I didn't know we were dealing in government secrets here.

9. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It's not a government secret, it's just common curtesy.

10. Jaxton

Jaxton Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well I’m happy that there will be another baby soon!

11. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Houston Zoo: Texas Wetlands | Interpretive Experience Planning and Design

This company doing some design work for the exhibit also says it will have those species. Wonder where they're gonna get the whooping cranes from? I don't think they have any right now, right?

Anyway, I'm always happy to see zoos putting focus on local environments and wildlife.

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. Trowaman

Via Twitter, the Houston Zoo is unveiling their plans for their centennial today.
    No one is posting the plans online yet, but it is 3 new biome exhibits:
    -Texas Wetlands (will open first, already under construction and will have American Alligators, Bald Eagles, and Whooping Cranes)
    -Pantanal (Only an image of a Howler monkey shown, Jaguars shown elsewhere. Speculation: Redo of their existing South American animals of Capybara, Tapir, Anteaters, Maned Wolves, and Rhea).
    -Galapgos (Sea Lions shown on some images. Speculation: I'd expect penguins)

There are also images of Orangutans shown on the centennial header. The Orang exhibit may be getting a refresh as well?

Stay tuned for news.

Tweet: Gov. Craig Hlavaty (I-Texas) on Twitter

13. Trowaman

Full website is up: Houston Zoo Centennial Campaign

Includes an overlay of the full master plan. Hope no one really like Wortham World of Primates, the Cat and Bear row, and Natural Encounters.

TheMightyOrca and snowleopard like this.
  14. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Texas Wetlands (2019), Pantanal: Trail of the Jaguar (2020), Ancient Relatives (2021) and Galapagos (2022) all represent new areas as the zoo is transferred into biomes. It is amazing to think that almost 50% of the zoo will be developed in the next 4 years....WOW! A whopping $150 million will be spent and that is only in the next 4 years and during Phase 1 of the plan. In the past decade there has already been tremendous development: chimpanzees, giraffes, rhinos, Gorillas of the African Forest, a renovated Kipp Aquarium, a brand-new 'Bug House', etc. Now with the next 4 years seeing a long list of construction projects, Houston Zoo will be a serious contender for one of the very best zoos in the nation.

15. Andrew_NZP

Andrew_NZP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

16. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

17. barisax235

barisax235 Active Member 10+ year member

Is there word yet as to the sea lion species that will be on exhibit? Will they be California sea lions or Galapagos?

StoppableSan likes this.
  18. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think it is safe to assume California, considering the zoo already has the species and the Galápagos one is more or less impossible to obtain for a number of reasons.

TheMightyOrca and StoppableSan like this.
  19. StoppableSan

StoppableSan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Similar to how Alaskan Grizzlies are in a Russian exhibit complex (built by the same guy, Lee Ehmke). They are representative species.

20. barisax235

barisax235 Active Member 10+ year member

That is what I thought was the case, but a part of me was hoping for a novel species of pinniped. It will be great to see an exhibit devoted to the Galapagos though. Thanks for the response!