Join our zoo community

Houston Zoo Houston Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United States' started by Trowaman, 17 Jan 2020.

Tags:
  1. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

It seems like 2 new (or old, but renovated) aviary have opened along with the pantanal, the Africa aviary and the wetland aviary.

2. (Adsa)

(Adsa) Well-Known Member

Anyone here who has gotten a glimpse feel free to share your thoughts.

3. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

4. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A name can /will be just a name for most zoo visitors,but if there is real interpretation of what and where the Panatal is, then the interested zoo visitor will find a number of species that do not live within thousands of miles of the named region. Why things have always to have "sexy" names these days defeats me...whats wrong with "The Neotropics" for instance? That apart it looks fantastic...but im not surprised, CEO Lee Ehmke certainly knows how to design zoo exhibits.

MarkinTex likes this.
  5. Dhole dude

South Americas pantanal looks amazing, possibly one of the greatest zoo exhibit in our country. The jaguar exhibit is massive, the plains habitat looks huge and the giant otter exhibit also looks fantastic. The only problems I have are
    1. The macaw/curassow exhibit needs a bit more shade
    2.the howler monkey/golden lion tamarin/agouti exhibit is a bit bare and needs a bit more foliage
    And 3. The fish/river turtle/stingray exhibit looks fairly small.

But overall the pantanal looks fantastic and Houston’s best exhibit yet.

MarkinTex, 9030, nczoofan and 3 others like this.
  6. Tim Brown

Just realised that I wrote Panatal(above) instead of Pantanal,mea culpa....no matter,at least I didnt say,as per Kevin the video presenter(Kevin Hodge ,General Curator?),that Baird`s Tapir is found in the Pantanal...which is my above point.The Jaguar exhibit looks fantastic, I love the way the building outside of the zoo pokes over the top of it all,and I dont mean that sarcastically - Im an urban zoo fan. The whole thing is a showstopper but even so,I would have preferred rather more smaller species,there are no amphibians or inverts for instance.

7. Tim Brown

It is Kevin Hodge on the video,and in all fairness he does say that Smoky Jungle Frogs are coming soon(re.my point about smaller species).

StoppableSan likes this.
  8. CarLover

CarLover Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What species of river turtle is in the Pantanal exhibit with the golden dorado and freshwater stingrays?

9. Dhole dude

In earlier articles they mentioned that poison dart frogs are apart of the complex as well. There exhibit appears to be opposite to the emerald tree boa/smoky jungle frog exhibit and next to the anacondas. I also want to say that the 2 new aviarys are actually called the savanna & waterbird aviaries. The savanna aviary is made out of the old shoebill exhibit if I recall correctly.

10. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I haven’t seen that many photos of the zoos new anaconda exhibit that’s featured in the pantanal exhibit so here ya go

StoppableSan likes this.
  11. Dhole dude

Is the exhibit indoors or outdoors? I can’t tell.

StoppableSan likes this.
  12. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is there anyone here that's experienced Houston weather in January and how it affects a zoo visit? The Pantanal is obviously what I'm eyeing to cover on my channel but I need every element and animal to be available for view.

9030, Jambo and StoppableSan like this.
  13. MarkinTex

MarkinTex Well-Known Member

Generally we have pretty mild weather here in Houston in January, average highs in the low 60s, lows in the high 40s to low 50s, but it's not uncommon at all for an occasional day in the 70s. If we do get a serious cold front (overnight lows no lower than the low 20s), it usually lasts no more than two nights (with daytime highs around 50) and then it warms back up pretty fast. January is one of our lowest months for rainfall, we actually get a lot of crisp, sunny weather. It's actually a great month to visit, especially if you want to escape nasty northern weather.

About a 50% chance I'm visiting the zoo this Sunday, I'll post a report with pics of the Pantanal exhibit if I do.

StoppableSan likes this.
  14. 9030

9030 Active Member

Same here! Especially because the seals need a new exhibit

StoppableSan likes this.
  15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

OK, me more so since it will highlight the conservation work at the forefront Houston Zoo is doing within the Galapagos. It has been a long standing tradition thanks to vet and science teams.

Jungle Man, Dhole dude, 9030 and 2 others like this.
  16. MarkinTex

I thought I might also add that the Houston Zoo offers free admission one Tuesday per month, so if you were able to arrange your visit with that day in January, it would save you some pocket change. Parking is always free. The zoo is also right down the street (walking distance) from the Museum of Natural Science, you might also hit up the Cockerell Butterfly Center while you're there. Parking is not free at the MSN, but you could leave your car at the zoo without any problem. Free Tuesdays, The Houston Zoo

17. MarkinTex

Yeah, it would be one thing if the out-of-range species were "filler" species either in mixed enclosures or by themselves in smaller enclosures, but the Baird's tapir is a highlight of the Pantanal exhibit, despite being found nowhere near the Pantanal.

18. Dhole dude

I’m personally excited for this new exhibit because of the possibility of new imported species from the Galápagos Islands.(but that’s very unlikely)

19. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

While Baird's tapirs are not, lowland tapirs are and are an important part of the ecosystem. Lowland tapirs are of a lesser conservation concern and are a phase-out species within the AZA, so it makes sense to use the more endangered species with a growing populations and SSP as a stand-in. You can still tell the same story even if the species is not 100% accurate. Would you rather there not been a tapir species at all than the wrong one? This is very similar to how Amur leopards are used as stand-ins for (most often) African leopards in African exhibits, or how the Cervid TAG was pushing for non-subspecific wapiti to be replaced with Bactrian deer in North American exhibits (unfortunately, this did not catch on. It would have been nice to see this species spread).

Kifaru Bwana, Ituri and StoppableSan like this.
  20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Whereas I do understand the rationale for AZA and its target species conservation breeding programs, I am no supporter of any phase out where almost over night the species of which individuals are still living in captivity become worthless and are (then) neglected to the point their biological needs (of which reproduction is one) are ignored forthwith.

Why in these instances does the policy phase out fail where individual of any such species on target phase out are then not transferred to other regional zoo associations where the species would be of benefit as well as a possible desired target species. You are effectively condemning these to functional extinction (which happens in nature only when only individuals of one sex remain and no options are available in the wilds to find mates of the opposite sex and fulfilling the biological life path to reproduce and care for the next generation(s).