Join our zoo community

How active are fennec foxes?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by nicholas, 25 Oct 2016.

1. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

I've never had the opportunity to see a fennec fox enclosure. How active are they in a normal daylight enclosure? From looking at exhibits here on zoochat it seems quite uncommon to have them in nocturnal houses.

2. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

I visited only two fennec enclosures (Prague and San Diego). In one they was "absent" (hidden in their den) even passing many times by there. In the other, I passed two times, the first one they was also hidden, the second, sleeping in a position that made impossible a decent photography.

3. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I've always seen them sleeping or at least resting. They're a popular species, but along with other nocturnal animals kept outside they are not the most exciting to watch.

4. Macaw16

Macaw16 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I've seen them twice (on the same day as it happens), the first one a normal light exhibit all three of the were active (although I was feeding them...), the second which wasn't nocturnal as such but had low level lighting, I saw one sat in the corner asleep.

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It depends.

In Prague, I have seen them only once in last ca 7 years.

In Jihlava, I see them active almost always. Last time, they were working on cubs. It is small enclosure, without possibility to go outside, without reversed day/night light-regime.

nicholas likes this.
  6. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've seen Fennecs on countless occasions in a good number of collection - both public and privat. Roughtly I guess that in at least 75 % of the cases the animal(s) were hidding / sleeping and in only 25 % they were active.

nicholas likes this.
  7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don't think fennecs are much worse than most other small carnivores in spending a lot of their time resting, but they may prefer to hide away when they rest, as they would in their desert habitat. I don't think it makes much difference whether they are kept in normal or reversed lighting; but I prefer to see them in daylight because the quality of the viewing is so much better.

nicholas likes this.
  8. Rafiaan

Rafiaan Active Member

In La Palmyre I saw a large number of fennec foxes. In think there were 12/14 foxes in three exhibits. Most of them were very active. In other zoos (Colchester, Amnéville, Olmen, La Barben, La Teste-de-Buch), they were a lot less active.