Join our zoo community

Paignton Zoo How are the elephants?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by greyone, 6 Jan 2010.

1. greyone

greyone Active Member

Hi
    Any updates on the ele's?

2. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

3. greyone

greyone Active Member

Duchess

Thanks Gigit. I have seen the keepers putting medication in her eye.
    That's upsetting that she is losing her sight.
    Please keep me posted if you can, i live out of the county so can not visit as often as i wish to.

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Things are not looking good for Gay, the Asian elephant.

paignton zoo

5. greyone

greyone Active Member

Gay

That's sounding bad,upsetting. I hope they can do something.

6. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Zoo announces death of popular elephant 09/03/2010

Paignton Zoo Environmental Park is very sad to announce that female Asian elephant Gay has been put to sleep.

Gay developed abscesses on her front feet in July 2008. Despite extensive in-house treatment supported by a range of veterinary and elephant experts, it was concluded that there was nothing more that could be done for her. Her welfare was reduced and her quality of life deteriorating. The abscesses spread to all four feet. Gay also had arthritis.

She was put to sleep by the Zoo’s vet team early on the morning of Tuesday 9th March.

Paignton Zoo Environmental Park Director of Operations and Curator of Mammals Neil Bemment said: “Our vet team and animal staff did absolutely everything they could. We tried a range of treatments and consulted any number of experts. It became clear that we had done everything we could for her and that there was no option but to put her to sleep.

“It is very, very sad, but we know that we have done the right thing for her. The welfare of the animal is paramount. Anyone who has ever cared for a pet or kept livestock has to face times like this. It was not an easy decision but it was the right decision.

“This is an upsetting and emotional day for the staff, volunteers, members and visitors to Paignton Zoo Environmental Park.”

The Zoo’s in-house team was supported by vets and pathologists Jon Cracknell, the zoological director of Marwell Wildlife and veterinary advisor to the British & Irish Association of Zoos and Aquaria elephant focus group, and Mark Stidworthy, from the International Zoo Vet Group.

A book of condolences will be opened at Paignton Zoo for members and visitors to sign. Messages can be sent online.
    Copyright Paignton Zoo 2006

7. mhale

mhale Well-Known Member

Oh dear ... how sad :( It must be very upsetting for everyone involved.

8. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

What a great shame. She will be sadly missed. RIP Gay. :(

I wonder what the future holds for her African companion Duchess now she is alone?

9. Zambar

Zambar Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Terrible news to hear, she'll be much missed. ='(

I heard Duchess is too old to move elsewhere, and she'll stay on as Paignton's last elephant till she dies.

10. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw Gay at Paigton when I was a child back in the late 70’s. In recent years, when visiting Paignton, I’d stand and look at her, and think about the family holidays we used to have and how I’d stood watching her all those years ago. It seems so far way and Gay was a connection with those days; now she’s gone.

11. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

Gay - our Ele!

Wo...
    Gutted! Like many others, she and Duchess have been around from my earliest memories. I remember leaning over the moat (in the old enclosure) and being fascinated by her agility and balance (between the metal spikes inlaid into her concrete moast) as I fed her leaves and twigs from the surrounding trees. I remember watching the two of them in the weeks following their move to the new house - how genuinely excited they were....
    I will miss her.
    Condolences to all the staff who have worked with her,
    MC X

12. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Such a shame. I have only seen Gay and Duchess once when i was young. My thoughts are with the staff there :(

13. greyone

greyone Active Member

A very sad day at Paignton zoo

I am deeply saddened at this news. My heart goes out to Jim and the other Keepers, and of course Duchess, who i hope will be be able to cope on her own. I am deeply saddened. Her spirit will always be alive at the zoo, as long as we remember her, which i am sure many of us will.
    RIP Gay little girl.

14. foz

foz Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not being insensitive but...What are the plans for paignton after the elephants? do they plan a new herd or not to keep elephants anymore?

15. ZooLeopard

personally i would love to see the zebra and giraffe mixed when duchess's time has gone.

16. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

The zebras are surely much better off staying in the large grassy field where they are than being moved to a sand paddock.

17. ZooLeopard

is it all sand? There was grass there when i went! In that case not such a good idea. If they are to acquire more elephants, then what species should they get?

18. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

There is a little grass (and I daresay it'd grow better without elephants in the paddock), but the current zebra paddock is much more suitable.

19. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

It's a shame for Duchess that Paignton don't become a retirement facility for 2-3 older African elephant cows.

20. TriGB

TriGB Well-Known Member

It was inevitable that people were going to start 'posting' thoughts about "what happens now?", and I think that's fair enough because Zoo's have to change and adapt very quickly and it helps if there are contingincies in place. However, the most important factor at the moment is Duchess's welfare. She has never known life without another Ele around and she is pretty old herself. The Ele at Bristol stayed on her own for a while and when Gitara moved to Belfast from Twycross, Iris was briefly solitary before mixing successfully with younger animals? Why not extend the current enclosure all the way back to the rhino paddock and across to the old red brick houses currently used for Capybara/Tapir/Anoa and 'Winter Ostrich'?' Then, as someone pointed out earlier on, it could house a 'retirement herd'?

If Elephants are not in the 'masterplan' then that whole area from the Badger Hide across to the back of Monkey Heights and up to the camel and Barbary Sheep, and above the cheetahs area, could become one huge African exhibit with overhead walkways?