Join our zoo community

How big should a zoo be?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Daktari JG, 21 Jul 2018.

1. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My answer would be as big as possible. Like Wilds big (10,000 acres)
    but for purposes of discussion I'm referring more to the walking around portion of the zoo. Personally I like a zoo to take a whole day to see, whereas the majority probably are more like a 4-5 hour excursion. San Diego's 100 acres is pert near
    the daily limit of most mere mortals, but partially because the layout grew
    with out the foresight of a 100 year plan on opening day. I would guess that
    140 acres would be near the daily limit IF it were laid out to avoid backtracking to see it all. (larger of course if portions of the zoo were seen via trams, buses etc).
    All zoos are too small when factoring in off display animals, bachelor and multiple groups and rotational display groups/animals.

2. tigris115

tigris115 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'd say 100 acres is good

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

No zoo should take more than a day to see. For non-enthusiasts it should take less.

Actual land size isn’t what’s important, but the length of walking paths and density of exhibits. A physically very large zoo like Nuremberg can nevertheless be traversed reasonably quickly, thanks to a good layout and am emphasis on quality exhibits rather than packing in as many species as possible.