Join our zoo community

How did you discover Zoochat?

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Jambo, 26 Feb 2019.

1. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I first bumped into this website when I was researching about information regarding Taronga zoo’s chimpanzees, and I found a whole entire website dedicated to zoo and animal lovers! This was like heaven for me and I couldn’t wait to join. So, How did you first discover Zoochat?

2. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Probably came across it on Google while looking up something zoo-related. I just remember being so impatient to create an account and start posting that I didn't think of a better username. (I just did a variation of a name I use on a different site)

3. Charlie Simmomds

Charlie Simmomds Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Researching Chester zoo images and the like sent me here, I fell in love with the sight and well here we are today, I hope I’m less annoying than I was at first.

4. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I found this site while trying to find out if any US zoos kept Asian Lions. The disappointment didn't last long once I realized what I had discovered!

5. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I first came across Zoochat when looking for information regarding Mercedes the Polar Bear's pending move from Edinburgh Zoo to Highland Wildlife Park in 2009 . My then 9 year old daughter had never seen a Polar bear, despite visiting dozens of zoos and as Mercedes was (at the time) quite likely to be the last polar bear in the UK, it seemed like her last chance to see one!
    We went to Edinburgh in the Easter holidays a few months before Mercedes left.

Jambo likes this.
  6. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was driving on a deserted highway in the Mojave desert at night. The sky was ablaze with stars, but suddenly on the horizon a brighter ball of light appeared, levitating over the highway. I froze. Time stopped. A blazing purple beam shot out of the ball of light, surrounding my body. I struggled against it, but could not move. That's the last thing I can remember. The next thing I knew I was here.

7. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Same with me.

8. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

It's interesting to chart the development of DavidBrown's whimsy over the last half decade :p

9. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Oh yeah. I forgot about that first time. I lost my memory for awhile there when my brain got transferred into a vampire squid (long story) and I had to re-discover Zoochat.

Brum, TheGerenuk, Jambo and 2 others like this.
  10. TheGerenuk

TheGerenuk Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I discovered this after I heard that a lot of Toronto Zoo news is posted here! Since then, I have become an active contributor!

-:cool::cool:TheGerenuk:cool::cool:

Jambo likes this.
  11. Gary Robson

Gary Robson Member

I was driving on a deserted highway in the Mojave desert at night. It was dark, and I had my high beams on. Suddenly, *BAM*, I get broadsided by DavidBrown. And I woke up here.

Seriously, though, I was googling something else and a ZooChat thread popped up in the search results.

birdsandbats and Jambo like this.
  12. Moebelle

Moebelle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think I was Googling cetacean exhibits or looking for inspiration for ZT2. This was the first photo that I clicked on Google Images:

Harbour Porpoise Exhibit | ZooChat

TheGerenuk and Jambo like this.
  13. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I was searching for pictures of the orca and dolphin pool at the long-closed Windsor Safari Park.

14. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just casually searching about what other zoo exhibit looks like, and a lot of result came from zoochat.

15. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was writing an assignment on whether it is acceptable to keep the great apes in captivity - I was able to use so many images from the site - especially the Howletts and Port exhibits.

I don't think there have been many days, unless I've had no internet access, that I haven't at least browsed the site - Most of my friends check Facebook when they wake up in the morning, whereas I head right to ZooChat... And I wouldn't have it any other way :)

Jambo, Ebirah766 and pipaluk like this.
  16. Ebirah766

Ebirah766 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't remember. :confused:

Terry Thomas likes this.
  17. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I think* mine was whilst searching for pictures of the whale and dolphin pools at Dudley... Coincidence? Yes, yes it is! :D

*It was a loooooong time ago! ;)

Crowthorne likes this.
  18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

You can largely blame Yakini (formerly of Melbourne Zoo, now at Werribee) for the development of the website now known as ZooChat.

Jambo and TheGerenuk like this.
  19. NMM

NMM Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For me it was after a visit to Marwell whilst they were building the African Valley in 2008. There were signs up around the zoo that animals may temporarily be in different locations to what the guide book says.

It was obvious that there was a large development happening but nothing to say what it was. When I got home I decided to see if I could find out what was happening and found an explanation on this site.

I don't post much as I don't have much to add but I frequently view the site to see what the news is at my local zoos.

Crowthorne, FunkyGibbon and Jambo like this.
  20. Black Footed Beast

Black Footed Beast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was looking up news for Brookfield Zoo