Join our zoo community

How do I get started with big cat conservation?

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Felion, 22 Oct 2019.

1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

So far, no venomous avian species is known to man; only poisonous ones.;)
    Difference Between Venom & Poison Explained By Adorable Animals
    It appears that this zoo is not the only Brazilian institution that could do better in regard to cooperations. I've heard of established virologists who've smuggled samples for international research cooperations into and out of Brazil because they're so fed up with Brazilian bureaucracy. If said zoo (and the Brazilian bureaucrats) ever changes its attitude in regard to B.insularis, please let me know. ;)

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

All zoos in Brazil as in most of the developing world (and if we are honest this also occurs in the First world where it has less of an excuse to exist) sadly struggle with bureaucracy , intransigence and inter-institutional conflict to some degree or another.

Yes , there is indeed smuggling / trafficking of wild caught golden lancehead vipers from Isla Queimada Grande but as far as I'm aware this is not at all for conservation purposes and rather to sell to the highest bidder in the illegal pet trade.

I believe there is a collaboration between San Diego zoo in the United States which is currently involved in an effort to manage a studbook with several institutions that keep them including a number of universities.

Batto likes this.
  3. Onychorhynchus coronatus

I think what the golden lancehead viper really needs is a Timothy Treadwell type advocate who goes to live on the island and makes sentimental films about these snakes emotional lives and personalities , lol , just messing around.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2019
    Batto likes this.
  4. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I once read that Brazil's particular insularity regarding the export of any of its endemic species (and any biological samples) can, among others, be contributed to Sir Henry Wickam's illegal export of Helvea brasiliensis seeds out of Brazil, which destroyed Brazil's monopoly on said rubber tree species and had a severe impact on the correlated local rubber industry.

5. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Yes , this stance by Brazil probably does have some historical causes like the destruction of the Brazilian monopoly on rubber. But it is also implemented aggressively in order to curb biopiracy which in one of the most biodiverse countries on earth is to some extent understandable.

Batto likes this.