Join our zoo community

How many different zoos did you visit in 2021

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by HungarianBison, 27 Dec 2021.

?

How many zoos did you visit in 2021?

Poll closed 31 Dec 2021.
  1. 0

5.8%
  2. 1-2

15.4%
  3. 3-5

19.2%
  4. 6-10

19.2%
  5. 11+

40.4%
  1. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether this thread is in the right place here, but I couldn't decide where to put it.

Giant Eland likes this.
  2. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Do aquariums count?

3. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Yes:)

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  4. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

I was only able to visit two zoos this year due to covid :( Both of Hesse were before I even had a ZC account. Hopefully next year is a better one for zoo visitors.

5. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

8 zoos, 10 visits. 2021 was definitely my best year for zoos, despite the pandemic.

HungarianBison likes this.
  6. Platypusboy

Platypusboy Well-Known Member

I only visited Helsinki zoo this year, but I’m going again tomorrrow and that will be the fourth time this year that I visit the zoo.

7. Prochilodus246

Prochilodus246 Well-Known Member

I also had my best year visiting collections, and I've got more booked in for early next year.
    I visited 11 collections this year with 6 being first visits.

8. Aramar

Aramar Well-Known Member

Only two: Helsinki zoo and Stockholm zoo. The first one multiple times though :)

Platypusboy likes this.
  9. Someokapinextdoor

Someokapinextdoor Well-Known Member

I'm at 6: Berlinx2, Magdeburg, Leipzig, Germendorf and Skansen. Not as much as I hoped, but still s good year.

10. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

3-5*

Ocean park, hkzbg, EYA. Two other small facilitied in hong kong. Yeah not good.

11. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

21 at the moment, and I have plans to get in at least 1 more before the year ends.

12. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I had a total of 32 visits across 29 institutions.

13. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

No need to brag :rolleyes::p

I’m kidding of course, that’s very impressive especially with covid restrictions and things. Were most of the exhibits open at the zoos you guys visited?

I only had the privilege of going to two this year but went to both several times. Hopefully I’ll be able to get to a bunch of others next year!

14. Dhole dude

Dhole dude Well-Known Member

I visited 13 zoos this year (The most I've ever done in a year so far), with a total of around 20 visits overall. I might be able to get to one more by the years end, but we'll see how things play out.

15. birdsandbats

I only encountered part of a zoo being closed because of COVID two or three times the entire year.

IndianRhino likes this.
  16. birdsandbats

It's difficult for me to figure out how many individual zoo visits I made over 2021. Definitely over 40, possibly even over 50. My most visited zoo this year was Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary, which I visited 17 times (counting my Thanksgiving visit when every exhibit was closed :p).

TinoPup likes this.
  17. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was pretty handicapped this year, I have a dog that can't be left alone, so it's much less than it possibly could have been! I generally don't do multiple visits in the same year, except for Philly (one visit this year) and Smithsonian (no visits). The repeats were Roer's Zoofari (one for an event, another to check new species) and Maryland Zoo (3 day camp).

I mostly didn't go to places that had a lot closed, I'd rather wait.
    Philadelphia - kids zoo and herp building were closed. This wasn't a planned visit, my dog had to go to UPenn so I went over to the zoo while he was being worked on. Now open.
    Cape May - Herp building and aviary were closed, along with the path by the front of cheetahs. This was combined with several other places that day so overall it wasn't a big deal, and they're small buildings. Now open.
    Bear Mountain - Herp building was closed, but I don't think that was from covid, as other small buildings were open.
    Maryland Zoo - Cave was still closed. Initially from covid, but then due to construction. The tram was also closed, initially due to covid but then waiting for the electric replacement vehicles.
    Rosamond Gifford - fish/herp part of building was closed due to construction, maybe initially covid? Rest of building was open.
    Six Flags - walking area still closed.

18. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

At quick glance, 38

HungarianBison and birdsandbats like this.
  19. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

44 visits to 40 different zoos - actually my highest total of different zoos since 2015..!

The double-visits were Chester, Yorkshire, Walsrode (on consecutive days) and Bristol (get it while you can!). Only two visits is actually very low for me for Chester, but it allowed me to get the overall total up! The other big boost was managing two week-ish zoo trips (Bristol/Devon/Cornwall in June and then Hamburg/Walsrode/Rostock and co. in September) - which also led to a really high percentage of new zoos (15 out of 40).

New zoos for the year were: Combe Martin, Dartmoor, National Marine Aquarium, Wildwood Escot, Bridlington Animal Park, Vogelpark Marlow, Zoo Stralsund, Ozeaneum Stralsund, Tierparks Greifswald, Wolgast and Ueckermünde, Wildpark-MV, Johnson's of Old Hurst and All Things Wild.

Return/repeat visits were: Twycross, Yorkshire, Whipsnade, Hamerton, Bristol, Wild Place, Paignton, Shaldon, Paradise Park (Hayle), Newquay, Exmoor, Axe Valley, Chester, Sewerby Hall, Woburn, West Mids, Shepreth, Hamburg, Walsrode, Rostock, Schwerin, Cotswold, Slimbridge, Woodside, Ark WP, Dudley

Second year running with no London trip, and semi-regulars Blackpool and Colchester also sit this one out. Next year I need to get me some Brummie sea otter action..!

20. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited 14 different zoos, all in England and four of which were first time visits.

HungarianBison and birdsandbats like this.