Join our zoo community

How many different zoos did you visit in 2021

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by HungarianBison, 27 Dec 2021.

?

How many zoos did you visit in 2021?

Poll closed 31 Dec 2021.
  1. 0

5.8%
  2. 1-2

15.4%
  3. 3-5

19.2%
  4. 6-10

19.2%
  5. 11+

40.4%
  1. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Without checking my notes I think I'm on 26 visits to 20 collections for the year. Not looking like I'm getting to anywhere else this year but I am ever hopeful of getting Sea Otters before the 31st despite the fact I still have no plans and only 3 days left... ;) :D

2. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Now with notebook in hand I can give a rundown of where I visited -
    26 visits to 21 collections, all in England unsurprisingly. Double-ups were Chester, Hamerton, Dudley, and three visits to Birmingham WCP. New collections were Chew Valley, Tropiquaria, Tropical Birdland (Desford), Yorkshire, Birdland (Bourton On The Water), Johnson's, and Exotic Zoo (new site, visited the old one previously).

pipaluk, TinoPup, twilighter and 2 others like this.
  3. Kudu21

Kudu21 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was able to rack up 18 different facilities this year (Audubon Zoo, Hattiesburg, Houston, Los Angeles, The Living Desert, San Diego Zoo, San Diego Safari Park, Mississippi Aquarium, Baton Rouge, Tulsa, Caldwell, Ft. Worth, Dallas, Dallas World Aquarium, Fossil Rim, Cameron Park, San Antonio, Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch), and all but one of which (Audubon) were brand new facilities for me! It’s certainly not as many as some folks, but as a very busy zookeeper with limited ability to take time off and who also moved in the middle of the year, I don’t think it was too shabby! Here’s hoping I can break 20 next year!

4. twilighter

twilighter Well-Known Member 10+ year member

After the restrictions fell in the summer, I visited 27 collections in total.
    Revisit Munich, Plzen, Burgers, Rotterdam, Planckendael, Cologne, Wuppertal, Duisburg, Krefeld, Wroclaw, Kristiansand, Sofia and Varna.

Been 6th time in my favourites Berlin zoo and TP Berlin , and 4th time in Prague Zoo.

Helsinki, Tallinn, Poznan Nowe, Bratislava, Wildpark Donsbash, Benidorm Tera Natura, Zoo&Aquarium Madrid, Faunia Madrid, L'Oceanografic Valencia and Rio Safari Elche were the new collections for me this year. I prefer mammal orientated zoos in general, but if I need to recommend one from my new list, that would be L'Oceanografic Valencia.

Wanted to visit Den Blå Planet as well, but Denmark already introduced new lockdawn.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2021
    pipaluk, TinoPup, Brum and 1 other person like this.
  5. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Was able to see 12 facilities this year, half revisits half first timers.

Revisits/local collections were Brookfield, Lincoln Park, Milwaukee, Tampa, Cosley, and Shedd Aquarium. One of these things is not like the others ;).

New collections were Omaha, Minnesota, Como Park, The International Crane Foundation, SeaLife Minnesota and the Tarpon Springs Aquarium. Omaha was the undoubtedly the highlight.

Was hoping to get to Saint Louis to see the zoo and aquarium but that will have to wait for next year. I'm hoping to at least get to 10 facilities in 2022 with my local parks and some potential trips to Saint Louis and San Diego.

HungarianBison likes this.
  6. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

Make that 9 and 11 by tomorrow.

7. Emanuel Theodorus

Emanuel Theodorus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The answer is literally none for me. But I'm going to Jakarta Aquarium in thursday and that'll be the only aquarium I visited in 2021.

8. Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Hello. I visited seven zoos in 2021, five of which were first-timers. I was able to see over three hundred different species of animals, including Uta Hick's bearded sakis and chimango caracaras.

9. MonkeyBat

MonkeyBat Well-Known Member

Good year for me in terms of zoo visits

Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo (of course)
    Rainforest Adventures Discovery Zoo (Was able to see common kusimanses)
    Dollywood Eagle Sanctuary
    Bright's Zoo (Able to see cape vulture, tayra, black back jackals, was not able to see civet)
    Bays Mountain
    Gulf Breeze Zoo

10. WalkingAgnatha

WalkingAgnatha Well-Known Member

Visited my first and last zoo of the year, Ti Point Reptile Park.

11. pipaluk

pipaluk Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Having made my last zoo visit of the year I finished on 29 zoos (62 visits). Not my best year but not bad under the circumstances.

First visits were to Highland Wildlife Park, Five Sisters Zoo, West Midland Safari Park, Hoo Zoo, Rutland Zoo, Johnson's, Fenn Bell zoo, Barleylands. I'm running out of UK zoos worth travelling for now so hopefully international travel will get easier soon!

12. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited six different zoos in 2021, all in Belgium:
    • Zoo Planckendael, my local zoo
    • Zoo Antwerpen, my second local zoo and under the same management as Planckendael
    • Pakawi Park
    • Pairi Daiza
    • Forestia
    • Domain of the Caves of Han Wildlife Park
    I visited Planckendael 9 times in 2021, Antwerp twice and all the others one time, with the visit to Pairi Daiza being a two-day visit with a stay in their resort.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  13. ParathePineapple

ParathePineapple Well-Known Member

While my list is smaller than others since some of my trips had to be canceled for personal reasons, I still went to quite a few places in 2021, Cincinnati Zoo as usual I went quite a few times this year, Columbus once, a trip to both the Saint Louis Zoo and The Saint Louis Aquarium, along with going to the Detroit Zoo twice.

MonkeyBat likes this.
  14. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I visited Urimbirra Wildlife Park (Victor Harbor, South Australia) for the first time in January.

Tasmania Zoo (Launceston, Tasmania) was the only other first-time visit, in February.

At the end of February I re-visited Jirrahlinga Wildlife Sanctuary (Barwon Heads, Victoria), and in May I went to Adelaide Zoo.

I probably visited Melbourne Zoo about three times, but don’t remember when the last one was, only that I left feeling jaded. Frankly, there’s such a pall of disappointment hanging over the place that I don’t know what would prompt me to visit again in the near future.

I don’t think I’ve been to a zoo in the last six months. I’m hoping 2022 will be better.

15. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Disappointing tally from me I'm afraid - only the following:

London Zoo (about 4 or 5 times)
    Battersea Park Children's Zoo
    Zoo de Vincennes
    Montpellier Zoo

So about 7 visits to 4 different zoos, and all revisits, although that will change to 8 and 5 tomorrow with a visit to the Horniman Museum's aquarium.
    Next year will be better hopefully, with visits to Bristol, Bristol Aquarium, Slimbridge, Hamerton, and at least a three or four more around Europe and possibly beyond envisioned.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2021
  16. carl the birder

carl the birder Well-Known Member 5+ year member

17. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Could you please change your vote then @amur leopard? The question I asked was about the number of insitutions you've visited (4 in your case), not the number of visits (7 or 8).

Last edited: 29 Dec 2021
  18. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Wow am I jealous of some of you ;) :p I will say that my parents don’t like to take me to zoos excessively (not excessively in my book), meaning that I only visit 2-6 different collections a year (usually)

19. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Oh yes, changed :).

20. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We all feel your pain Carl

pipaluk likes this.