Join our zoo community

How many Photographers

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by dbyrd, 28 Sep 2008.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

I'm saving up for a nikon Camera, but as yet not sure which one. I've been using my Dad's D50. Anyone got any recommendations?

2. Hix

Hix Wildlife Enthusiast and Lover of Islands 15+ year member Premium Member

Work out how much you have to spend. Then look for a good lens, I mena a really good lens (if you're into wildlife photography then a zoom would probably be what you need). Buy the body with whatever cash you have left over. If that means getting a body wityh less bells-and-whistles, then so be it. You can always upgrade the body later. Remember, the best body in the world will always take crap photos if you only have a crap lens.

:)

Hix

3. MeiMei

MeiMei New Member

Previously zookeeper (birds) - for 7 years - now photographer :p;) Generally painter and graphic designer LOL

4. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just found and joined ZooChat. Part time professional photographer, full time photo lab clerk, occasionally sell photos and also do some photos for Reid Park Zoo, where I am a volunteer docent. Lead a photo workshop at the zoo every Spring & Fall - great closeups, if anyone is interested.

5. stephend

stephend Well-Known Member

I am a photographer. I make my money in event & reenactment photography but have a passion for animals. Unless I win the lottery & am able to travel the world like most of us my photo's will bw at zoo's. I do not photograph animals professionally because I love it too much. My belief is if you do something you love then try & make a profession of it it becomes alot less fun. Does anyone agree with this???

6. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I can understand your point of view. There are an awful lot of people who would love to be able to make their living photographing wildlife. Most of them don't have enough talent or dedication to do it outstandingly well. I know because I don't have enough myself. I can enjoy doing it for fun and I can get lucky from time to time - but that's not enough for a satisfying career.

Alan

7. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Welcome to ZooChat, you are lucky to live so close to two so fine of facilities as Reid Park and the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. I never missed a chance to stop in at Reid Park when I was down in Tucson. They have such lovely grounds, and a surprising collection for the size of the zoo. Plus, why miss a chance to see polar bears in Arizona.

8. djaeon

djaeon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say I'm a "photographer", but I have found recently that I really enjoy taking pics at the zoo and posting them here. Some of them even come out looking semi decent;)

9. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I for one enjoy your near-daily SDZ photos.

10. djaeon

djaeon Well-Known Member

Thanks:) If anyone has an area of the S.D. Zoo they'd like to see pics of, let me know and I'll do my best to get them for you.

11. Allerlei

Allerlei New Member

Hi,

I'm not photographer (actually I have no camera now) even I love taking photos :D My dream is to take a pictures of some really wild animals (wolveeees, woof :D), not only at ZOO... but it's only dream :D And I don't work in ZOO... but I think it must be great :D

Have a nice day!

12. Zeal

Zeal New Member

Hi, I am also a photographer, and am going to try and sell some of my photographs as my speciality is wildlife. I have got some good shots of both wild and captive animals including insects.

Will have my web page up once I can pay for it. I have a Pentax K10 D and its so far got me a number of good shots.

I am presently trying to get in as a zoo keeper in the UK.

Zeal

13. NekoMama7

NekoMama7 New Member

I love animals, therefore I shoot! Unlike some photogs at zoos, animals always come first for me, then photos.

My current main gear consists of a Sony A700 and a 70-300mm G-lens. I also tend to carry some shorter ones with me, like 50mm/f1.4 and 16-105. Also likely to have a circular PL filter, and sometimes a monopod (when I visit zoos with lots of cages).

I also carry a compact point & shoot to capture signs and to shoot videos.

14. tigertiger

tigertiger Well-Known Member

I'm a P/T Freelancer. Wish I worked in a zoo though lol.

15. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

I love to watch the animals in a zoo. Taking photos becomes second place. I recently bought a new camera, Nikon D90 with Sigma f2,8 70-200mm, and also have a Pentax K100D. I will buy soon a 18-50 or so lens for the D90.

16. atheris

atheris Member

balazsbuzas.com
    and videos (just for fun):

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Jul 2017