Join our zoo community

Welt der Gifte Greifswald (Closed) How to found a zoo - WdG Greifswald and WdG Salzburg

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Batto, 27 Jun 2017.

1. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A very interesting story...I was going to visit when I was in Rostock/Stralsund 18 months ago, but the limited opening times didnt quite fit in with our agenda. Good luck in Salzburg(when `normal`times return of course),a lovely city..but one where I once spent the coldest summer`s day I can remember!...By the way - isnt this thread now in the wrong country?

lowland anoa and Jobovc like this.
  2. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

@Tim Brown Thank you. Too bad that you didn't contact me beforehand for a special tour.

Yeah, Austria might be more approptiate. ;)

3. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

In theory the best course of action would be to split this thread into 3, with some posts shared between two threads:

1) Planning and run-up to opening (covering both your German and Austrian phases)
    2) German WDG news
    3) Austrian WDG news.

Been meaning to broach the topic a while but kept forgetting :p so will look at how best to do so anon.

Batto likes this.
  4. TeaLovingDave

I've given this thread a minor rename, and created two new threads:

Welt der Gifte Greifswald - News and Discussion (2017-2019) [Welt der Gifte]

Welt der Gifte Salzburg- News and Discussion (2019-????)

All posts pertaining to the run-up to the opening of both generations of WdG, and planning thereof, have been retained here; posts relevant to specific sites (whether news, discussion or so forth) have variously been copied over if they merit retention in this thread, or moved entirely.

If you want to post in the gallery request area so that a WdG Salzburg gallery and forum can be created for the latter thread, @Batto , go for it :)

iluvwhales and Batto like this.
  5. Batto

Lovely job - thank you very much!

6. Batto

To pass the time while I'm waiting for the decision of the responsible Austrian authority about the point in time when I'm going to be allowed to open to the public, let's share some news:

- I was invited to the broadcasting of a popular German kids' show called 1,2 oder 3 this February as an expert on toxic animals. I contributed to the script and took a live rattlesnake along, as well as my wife and daughter. All went well, except for the rattlesnake not eating its mouse in the final broadcasting. He should have read the script as told.
    - I've also been invited to another German TV show, with filming starting probably in June. One of the VIP participants is a member of a German hiphop group (Fanta4) I'm rather found of, so that's a bonus.
    - All the poisonous and venomous animals have now moved to the new venue. Since I have to work homeoffice half of the time, I'm now working inside the exhibition room, alongside my animals. My new "co-workers" don't seem to mind and are very calm and pleasant, yet a bit distracting at times. ;)
    - New species, including Peruphasma schultei and Heteropoda venatoria, have been added, while I've recently lost my good old Loxosceles rufescens specimen and a Scolopendra sp.
    I'm thinking about adding a small formicarium displaying Myrmica rubra and maybe a small tank with Ampulex compressa.
    - My gaboon viper is quite the character; for months, he's refused to eat in his large new exhibit, specifically built for him in accordance with Austrian legislation. The minute he was back in his old enclosure, he's eating like a pig. Aaargh - frustration, mixed with relief that he's eating. Now I have to apply for a special permission by the federal vet so that he can stay in his slighter smaller tank...In the meantime, my large West Mexican green rattlesnake, nicknamed "Tom Riddle", seems to have settled quite well in the large (expensive) former gaboon enclosure. Apparently, one snake's trash is another snake's treasure.
    - I'm jokingly asking friends and colleagues to address me as "(zoo) Director" or rather "Herr Direktor" from now on, giving my official status as head of my little zoo. The joke has caught on, up to the amusing surprise of the elderly janitor respectfully greeting me this way. ;)

Last edited: 10 Apr 2020
  7. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I do wonder, what's a innocent stick insect like these doing in a zoo focussed around venom?

Your collection of invertebrates seems really cool and I'd love to visit WdG one day when it's open :)

Batto likes this.
  8. Batto

Because this species secrets Peruphasmal, a slightly poisonous monoterpen, if feeling threatened.

If you are able to identify yourself as a ZooChatter, you'll get a free tour. Unless you're one of the rather humorless members I've blocked; those pay extra. ;)

9. Ursus

Ursus Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Screw free tours, that's not how you make profit! You sure you can keep this zoo alive if ZooChatters can enter freely :p

iluvwhales likes this.
  10. TeaLovingDave

Well, his first site was doing pretty damn well until he had to relocate because of day-job reasons :) and Salzburg is in a rather more tourist-friendly area so I expect he will do pretty damn well in the new site too?

Batto likes this.
  11. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I hope you can open soon and attract more visitors and publicity.

I just imagined that coronavirus restrictions and home office requirement makes zoo workers in Europe to bring wild animals to their city flats... ;)

Batto likes this.
  12. Batto

Děkuji @Jurek7

Given how few ZooChatters have been to WdG so far, I doubt that giving you guys and gals a free tour is going to bankrupt me...;)

iluvwhales and ThylacineAlive like this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

Not to mention the fact I doubt any of us would be averse to donating something regardless :)

14. Tim Brown

Tim Brown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The last time I was in Salzburg(last time?..the only time) I visited by train from Munich(2005) with Mike Grayson. We were ever -so-slightly underwhelmed by the zoo,but checking zootierliste theres no end of places if I grab a car....Herr Direktor,I might be there sooner than you think - viruses apart(and how I wish we knew about that).

Batto likes this.
  15. TeaLovingDave

Even without a car there are a good few options - until the current crisis led to the whole trip being cancelled, I had plans to visit Salzburg as a train daytrip from Munich and visit the zoo, Haus der Natur and Welt der Gifte as a three-collection day, and timetable-wise it would have worked very nicely....

It'll happen eventually :)

ThylacineAlive and Batto like this.
  16. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Whenever I end up going more of Germany I might have to steal this idea from you ;)

~Thylo

17. Batto

You're aware that Salzburg is located in Austria, aren't you? :D

18. Batto

With the right people in charge, Zoo Salzburg could be a great zoo. At least the scenary is already great.

Feel free to contact me beforehand Tim!

19. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yes :p I meant next time I do a German tour, I'd like to hop over in Austria and see some of the zoos there. Similar to how I did so with Poland in 2018 :)

~Thylo

Batto likes this.
  20. Batto

Today I received a reply by the local office of the Austrian chamber of commerce on behalf of my request when I'll be (finally!) allowed to open WdG. Long story short: they don't know.
    Funny enough, I was also told that my exhibition has been categorized as "Public Amusement", in the same category as cinemas a or cultural and entertainment enterprises. So much about the federal understanding of the "conservation" and "education" role of a modern zoo. :D
    But hey, at least this also means that I don't have to register as a business, which saves me money and more red tape.