Join our zoo community

How to get more people to reply to my threads?

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by cloudedleopard, 25 Nov 2014.

1. cloudedleopard

cloudedleopard Well-Known Member

No one ever replies to my threads! :mad: The most ever was 24 replies. Mega Zoo Design (ZooFan23) took me like a month to complete and I only got 10 replies. What would make people respond to my threads more? :confused:

2. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Please don't take this the wrong way, it is simply advice and hopefully it will help. I believe if you only post when you actually have something to say, rather than to up your post count, you will find a lot more discussion will go on.

3. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

You are not alone cloudedleopard, many new members have similar issues! They often post a lot of stuff, much of which is already on here, and seem to want to maximise their number of posts. This puts other members off interacting with them, possibly because they don't see the new member as contributing to ZooChat.

As Ituri said, don't take this the wrong way cloudedleopard - its just advice, and many new members need it!

Some of your posts aren't particularly necessary and many members might not want to respond to them. Increasing the quality of your posts (content, grammar, etc), rather than the quantity of them, will probably lead to more replies. And make sure they are posted in the correct forum, check the description of each forum before posting in it to make sure its relevant.

Also, creating new threads to ask single questions (like the one about the secretary bird at Cleveland) isn't necessary or likely to attract many replies. Ask these questions either in your own thread about animals not at Columbus, or in the current Cleveland news thread, its much more likely to get a reply there. Further, its possible some of your threads have already been discussed, some at length, so people might not be so interested in rehashing the topic - search to see if they ahve been discussed first, and maybe add to those threads.

Finally, thanks for asking, its always good to ask! I could see this thread getting a good number of replies! :D

4. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

This raises another point, of course - it is not permitted to use multiple accounts. Thus far you have not used both active accounts (ZooFan23 and cloudedleopard) at the same time, and thus have not strictly speaking infringed this rule.

However, resist the temptation to use both accounts simultaneously as some past users have. Needless to say, this also applies for the four other accounts you registered at the same time (n0ahonline5, rept1le46, reptile46 and reptileuniverse) but have not, as yet, chosen to use.

5. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I agree that the problem may be that you have focused on trying to get response rather than on posting something of interest. I can't guess why replies from total strangers is of any value to you, but I can say that when you have something worth discussing people will discuss it.
    Isn't the quality of the replies of more value than the number? A great short discussion between two members surely is of more interest than 239 posts of "cool man"

6. nanoboy

nanoboy Well-Known Member

We're in the "Like" generation. I read an article recently about how some younger users of Facebook get depressed if their posts don't get enough "likes". This forum isn't Facebook - the dynamic is different in that your threads may have been widely read, but replying involves more work than clicking "like".

It might be better to contribute to pre-existing threads in the first instance rather than starting new threads. Alternatively, you can start a blog thread of your zoo visits/travels - those are the most popular threads here.

7. Malayan Tiger

Malayan Tiger Well-Known Member

I don't know why this is true, but it seems to me that people who post pics in the gallery seem to get more "publicity"
    This may be wrong but it seems to be a pattern here on zoochat

8. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think it depends on the type of photos. I get quite frustrated with a few members (I won't mention any names) who post endless photos from one or two parks. Some members post photos of interest from a variety of places and it is these members who get a lot of attention.
    My advice would be to keep it interesting and hope that other people share your interest.