Join our zoo community

Zoo Tycoon How To Play ZT2 On Windows 10 64Bit?

Discussion in 'Zoo Games & Simulators' started by Sarus Crane, 9 May 2021.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So I have some old ZT2 saved games that I'd like to go back into and record to make some videos. The only problem is that the old computer I had which was a Samsung operating on Windows 8 at 30Bit was able to handle the game via operating in compatibility mode. Before my old computer died last summer I transferred all of my game files and put them in the correct folder on the new computer. However, it doesn't want to work. When I click on the .exe file to startup the game I get this pop up:

"zt.exe - Application Error
    The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

Does anyone else have this issue and/or know how to fix this? Is 64Bit the cause for this or something else? Thanks!

2. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

64 bit should not be the issue, have you tried running it in compatibility mode for all the different versions like 96, XP, Vista, 7 etc?

If not, I would try a reinstallation.

Also, I would recommend asking on the ZT2 Roundtable, they will have more knowledge than people here.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  3. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'd say ditto on reinstallation. Apparently that error code corresponds to a file necessary for running the application being missing or corrupted, and given that you say you copied your game files to the new machine rather than installing the game, I imagine that could confuse Windows. I know I had to reinstall ZT2 on changing my motherboard, for whatever reason. I'd try compatibility modes too, but I can't say they've ever had any effect. Best bet is finding your copy or a different copy and reinstalling. Your saves should run just fine with any install of the game.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  4. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So reinstall it with the original discs? I have those but would need a DVD/CD Rom drive to attach to the computer to reinstall it. I have the ZT2 Complete Collection with the expansions all in one.

5. Hammy

Hammy Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Yeah, I had a feeling the issue was that the new machine doesn't have a disc drive. Nothing comes with disc drives no more and it's unbearable for anyone who cares about preservation or even just still using old software. Unfortunately, yeah, if you're determined to use those discs (Zoo Tycoon 2 can also be a very annoying stickler about having your discs inserted, come to think of it), you're gonna need an external CD drive. I have the same Ultimate Collection and it's a real bear to haul out my external CD drive just to use it.

6. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I actually bought an external disc drive just to play Zoo Tycoon 2 again lol

Sarus Crane likes this.