Join our zoo community

How To Turn Canon Camera Stabilizer Off?

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Sarus Crane, 7 Jul 2019.

1. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I currently use a Canon Powershot SX530 HS and it has a stabilizing feature that is more troublesome than helpful. When in bright light and I can't focus on something that well even if the camera is still on a tripod or in my hands, the viewfinder looks like it is jiggling and I really want to turn it off because trying to smooth out shaky footage takes way too long in Adobe Premiere. My older camera didn't have this problem. Also because its windy where I film it just makes it that much more aggravating.

Also is there a way to prevent the camera from "smart" focusing, meaning that when you zoom in on something and when you have it all sharp and crisp, but ten the camera decides on its own that wants to go out of focus. Its this reason why I never try anymore to film things in the dark. I really like to solve these issues. If anyone can help, I 'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but since you asked over a month ago and received no response, I would suggest you ask in the Canon forums or the Canon section at DP Review. I'm sure someone there can assist you. I have found them very helpful and I don't even shoot with Canon.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2019
    Sarus Crane likes this.
  3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I know that on Canon DSLR cameras, the image stabilizer is on the lens (select lenses only) and the on/off switch is on the lens barrel. However with point-and-shoot cameras like your SX530 HS the stabilizer is built in. You may or may not be able to turn it off in the menu - I am not sure. Best bet may be just to call Canon USA support at (800) OK CANON.

Sarus Crane likes this.
  4. Sarus Crane

Sarus Crane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm afraid its built in. I'll probably have to call them.

Arizona Docent likes this.