Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Hubba the Anoa

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by elephant400, 21 Jun 2009.

1. elephant400

elephant400 Well-Known Member

was at Chester earlier today and got chatting to a keeper from the giraffe section while i was watching the anoa and funny enough taun and ZooMania had asked me to find out if their bringimg in a new female for Hubba (the anoa's name) but she just said they were looking and fingers crossed they'll get some females from some other zoo. But she said that he's fine on his own in that paddock. Just by luck, today was hubba's first day on the island as he's been inside the barn since he arrived from london and that's why the keeper was there watching over him. So taun and ZooMania i'm afraid were going to have to wait for the pitter patter of anoa calves at Chester. Sorry i couldn't find out anything else i.e Kirana's pregnancy and where the African Wild dogs will be placed in the zoo. Hubba is one lovely looking anoa, well worth visiting him. ;)

2. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm looking forward to seeing him.

3. elephant400

elephant400 Well-Known Member

its well worth it.
    ;)

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

That would explain why I never saw him. Looking forward to seeing him on the next visit.

5. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

Was he bred at London. The last calf to be born there?

6. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Speaking to one of the keepers he is in his mid teens, is this the right time frame?

7. ZooMania

ZooMania Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing him on my next visit which should hopefully be in the next week or so.

8. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

Okay, well I'm pretty sure other calves were born at ZSL since then, although they scaled back the numbers held a couple of years ago. What I don't really get is that, with the old breeding pair left on exhibit at London, why is there a new male anoa in the giraffe house?