Join our zoo community

Humble small zoo

Discussion in 'Speculative Zoo Design and Planning' started by SealPup, 16 Aug 2017.

?

Good design for outset?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Neither/both (explain)

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Batto

Batto Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thanks to previous encounters, I'm well aware of your personal dislike of the term "modern zoo". As previously recommended, a closer look into relevant literature such as the various fundamental publications by Heini Hediger might help to distinguish between its different realizations; not every modern zoo is an "Erlebniszoo Hannover".
    Even more so, as correctly pointed out by Mr. Zootycoon, a modern zoo also has to be considered a business, and led as such. An original theme or leitmotif with unique USPs to distinguish oneself from the competition can be an important feature of a successful business strategy.
    Nicolas and others are correct in pointing out that your proposed buildings or concepts are not really "humble" from a financial pov. And husbandry-wise, one should thrive to exceed "adequate".
    However, based on previous encounters, I'm afraid this will fall on deaf ears. After all, you don't strike me as someone who is willing to change a preassigned opinion. Therefore, good luck with your concept. Just don't overdo the gaboon viper handling, for the sake of both animal and human.

2. SealPup

SealPup Well-Known Member

...and yet gabions are a very nice tempered reptile that, if not venomous, would be an ideal beginners pet. They are even polite enough to be visibly angry, when they are upset, instead of just striking. I was surprised to be told gaboons were a better beginners hot herp than something like a copperhead which is less venomous. In the US where rules are laxer they are often used in public demonstrations of snake handling: I never heard of anyone being bit by a gaboon at such events. When I think of snake handling shows I'm not being unreasonable, I have known people who do this for the public with trusted vipers.

As for the cost of buildings, the idea was to convert outbuildings on a budget. Not to construct anything except the aviaries and sheds for large mammals. The large aquaria are of a scale people have in their houses.

If it were unfeasible to have the animal houses it would simply be a bird garden with big cats and wolves for the public.

Last edited: 17 Aug 2017
  3. Batto

I don't know who told you that. To be polite, let me just say that I disagree with this advice. And I don't know what a "trusted viper" is supposed to be. If you think working with snake hooks is easy, try working with a freshly shed nervous large elapid. Anyway, see above.

4. SealPup

No one has mentioned freshly shed elapids. The issue is venomous snakes suitable for handling displays in front of the public.

5. Batto

So elapids aren't venomous snakes? Argumentatively, you're jumping from one sideline to another just to have the last word. Good luck; just don't get anyone bit.

6. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Can you explain 'Grangewood' please? Intrigued.

7. SealPup

Grangewood was a small collection of mostly turacos and lemurs at Netherseal in the Midlands. They hosted Safari Parties for children and are fondly remembered by many locally. It was literally someones back garden, admittedly a large back garden but far less than 1 acre. The information is on ZTL as Netherseal.

FBBird likes this.
  8. Kawekaweau

Kawekaweau Well-Known Member

Fallow deer might be easier to care for than reindeer, and are at least semi-domesticated. The giant tortoises might attract the crowds as well.

9. SealPup

Reindeer have a seasonal appeal at wintertime, that fallow do not. Both are good candidates, but only reindeer can bring in visitors in wintertime, and maybe sled rides.

10. Batto

So do fallow deer magically disappear in the winter? ^^ And keeping a species just to cash in on its alleged 'seasonal popularity' with a costly activity once a year if at all doesn't appear to be a sound financial investment for a "humble" zoo.

11. nicholas

nicholas Well-Known Member

As the proposed zoo is in the million Euro range, I think the owner can afford to care for an animal all year around, and use it as a seasonal draw.

Mr. Zootycoon, SealPup and Batto like this.
  12. SealPup

I disagree that converting existing barns cost like a million euro, but still, a budget outlay means keeping down costs not spending nothing at all.

How do most small collections get by the winter drop off in visitor numbers? Zoos that have reindeer in winter do advertise the fact: people do want to see them at that time of year not just one activity, once a year, as Batto suggested.

Nicholas omits that in temperate climes most animals actually are a seasonal draw - for summer. Can anyone suggest how to handle winter?

Last edited: 18 Aug 2017
  13. SealPup

Doing away with the bird and small mammal houses because they are endothermic and most could go outside. The monkey enclosure would still be walkround.

Barn 1 - aquarium (saltwater only)
    Barn 2 - reptiles (exclude croc)
    Greenhouse - rainforest

Bird garden, monkeys, otters, porcupines etc
    Large cats, wolves
    Paddocks (no buffalo, deer feeding)

14. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

I have never been to a zoo that has brought visitors in the winter simply because they have reindeer. You greatly overestimate the winter crowd, who could care less about whether you have reindeer or not. Fallow deer are cheap, easy, and as appealing to the average visitor as a reindeer, since they will likely look at the two and see one species of generic deer.

Batto likes this.
  15. d1am0ndback

d1am0ndback Well-Known Member

Also @SealPup where on earth are you going to get penguins from? They are a group of species that will be more than difficult for you to get, as they are not sold in private trade as far as I'm aware.

Last edited: 18 Aug 2017
  16. SealPup

Humboldts penguins are traded but rare. They are sold in Japan and US (a while ago). People crowd to see penguins so they are worth the expense and effort.

17. Batto

The few times I've seen visitors accumulate around Humbolt penguin exhibits are during feeding times. And d1m0ndback is spot on in regard to fallow deer vs. reindeer.

d1am0ndback likes this.
  18. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Do you have any idea what a penguin costs in the private trade? I guess not, because otherwise you wouldn't have said they are worth the expense.

19. SealPup

I already agree about the deer. It was never the point: I wanted a seasonal leitmotif (as you call it) to help in winter.

20. SealPup

No, but I know someone in Japan keeps them privately. And would be my source of penguins. There are birds an be sourced easier over there, but I believe bird flu upped the costs of imports.