Join our zoo community

Hutias in Captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Yi Qi, 18 Jul 2018.

1. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

I have a simple question: wjhich zoological institutions in North America and Europe keep hutias?

2. Daktari JG

Daktari JG Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw a Bahamian hutia at this place in 1983
    Ardastra Gardens
    It was very sub par. According to their site they no longer keep any.
    Its the only one I've ever seen

As an aside the famous marching flamingos was a guy chasing a flock from behind. Jesus.

3. Pleistohorse

Pleistohorse Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Rotterdam had them when I visited in the early 2000’s.

4. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Ventura Wildlife Park in the UK has Cuban Hutias

6. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw Jamaican and Cuban hutias at London Zoo in the 1980s and at Zoologica at Ardingley.

7. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I remember the Cuban hutias at Regent's Park and those at Colchester more recently: there are some photos in the Gallery (none of which are mine). I think they are interesting animals and quite showy too, so I am surprised that they are not seen more often in zoos.
    In the 1970s and '80s, Jersey built up a colony of Jamaican hutias, which are much smaller and more nocturnal - at least they were kept in nocturnal conditions in Jersey and in the Clore (if I remember correctly). They were eventually sent back to Jamaica for reintroduction.
    With zoogeographical exhibits becoming so common, one day a zoo might construct a Cuban House with hutias, plus amazon parrot and conure, grassquit, boa, crocodile, knight anole and curly-tailed lizard. Of course there are other interesting species from Cuba too, which might interest an ambitious zoo, including the black-tailed and the prehensile-tailed hutias, the solenodon and the tiny bee humming bird, to name but a few.

8. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Funny that you mention this. As a teenager, I "created" a tropical themed zoo with a map and a species list. This week I came across a part of the species list on an old cd-rom. My zoo included an Antillean House with Cuban hutia, Cuban amazon parrot, Jamaican crested quail-dove, Cuban slender boa, knight anole and Hispaniola rhinoceros iguana. I never saw such a themed house in a real zoo though.

gentle lemur likes this.