Join our zoo community

Highland Wildlife Park Hwp 2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 9 Feb 2010.

Tags:
  1. lechweoryx

lechweoryx Well-Known Member

I think there are about 15 European Bison.

2. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any news on musk oxen?

3. Simon McGlary

Simon McGlary Well-Known Member

Didn't hear anything. Other than routine feeds at the usual times, any talks were suspended due to the bison birth! That would, of course, explain why the two large males had become very defensive towards anything other than the park's own landrovers and patrolled the side of the roadway and forcing everyone to drive further away from the herd! The yaks also took at turn at road blocks in the first drive through area!

4. kiang

I found this aerial picture of the park in flickr, i thought i might be of interest as google earth hasn't quite reached the highlands yet.
    Points of interest are
    drive through paddock nearest the main road is for the kiang, bactrian camel and yak
    The large loop is the main reserve.
    above the main forested area you can see mercedes the polar bears pool
    and to the left is the loch which is contained in the Japanese macaque and serow enclosure, and to the right is the visitor centre.

P5080751 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I lied, the park is on google earth now, but it seems to be a very old picture

http://www.zoochat.com/maps/highland-wildlife-park/

Last edited: 12 May 2010
  5. kiang

The large aviary next to the visitor centre is now completed and awaiting the arrival of 2 European cranes from the WWT.
    http://www.zoochat.com/201/new-aviary-hwp-38067/
    The capercaillie and pheasant aviaries have been re-roofed, and a new shelter is being built for the Bactrian wapiti, in a new enclosure, and will be ready for the existing group and 2 new females from Cologne.
    The wapiti's former enclosure, is in the process of being redeveloped for musk oxen, which are still waiting in the Netherlands.
    The other big project is a new wolf enclosure, behind the current mishmi takin enclosure, which will include the thick forest in that area, also there will be pedestrian access to this part of the park. Good news for anyone trying to get a proper picture and view of the takins too.
    http://www.zoochat.com/201/new-wolf-enclosure-145546/
    Recent births have included 2 takin, 1 Japanese macaque, 1 Bactrian wapiti, a number of red deer, 3 Scottish wildcats, 2 markhor and twin moose.
    Expected births are due for Japanese macaque, Himalayan tahr, kiang and possibly red panda.
    The snowy owls are sitting on eggs, and the satyr tragopan female laid a clutch, but showed no interest in them, so they have been placed under a female capercaillie!

6. TC

TC Member

Any idea when the musk oxen are due to arrive as i'll be visiting at the end of August ?

7. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

8. kiang

The park has had 2 Mishmi takin born this year and the Bukhara deer and red deer all have calves. The European elk, Lisa, had twin calves in May and five Kiang foals have been born. In June, a Scottish wildcat kitten was born.

9. RTB1987

RTB1987 Well-Known Member

any idea what the future holds for the 3 tiger cubs at HWP??

10. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Not so many years ago there seemed little prospect of British zoos even keeping many of these species, let alone breeding them (regularly in some cases). Well done Highland - five Kiang foals is a fantastic achievement.

11. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

It would seem that the HWP are doing a real grand job, I hope they keep going on this track

12. kiang

5 kiang foals is fantastic, but surely the herd will now be reaching saturation point for the drive through paddock they are in, hopefully there will be a collection or 2 interested in taking them on elsewhere in the UK.

13. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

I thought Marwell were interested in wild horse species?

14. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They used to be.. and still have all 3 zebra species, plus Prezwalski Horses and Somali Ass. But IMO they have become rather more generalised as a collection these days. Kiang might not be suitable anymore.
    I'd imagine somewhere that doesn't already have a Wild Ass species might be a more likely bet e.g. Port Lympne or somewhere that's looking for an interesting new species ?

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Re more interest in kiang/ wild ass UK-wise: I would think that Howletts might be interested in kiang ... (not so much Port Lympne which is more African in orientation).

As for the red deer, I do hope the new stalls/facilities will have sorted the climatic issues with the Bukhara deer. Glad Koeln Zoo was keen to send on 2 female Bukhara deer (after the demise of a greater part of the assembled stock) .... How many calves have been born in the current group?

Any interest from other collections to house the critically endangered Bukhara deer ... It is subject to an CMS sponsored international rescue operation in Central Asian Republics and in dire need of new holders ...??? :)

16. johnstoni

johnstoni Well-Known Member

I saw the numbers drop for a while, what were the climate issues? Inadequate shelter I presume?

17. solari27

solari27 Active Member

I am pretty sure that the Scottish Deer Centre here in Fife now exhibit Bukhara deer.

18. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

On what basis do you claim to know? Where did the Bukhara deer originate (as I am pretty sure no others were imported safe for the ones to Edinburgh and these have been conservatively kept and bred at HWP and with some losses in the last year alas ....)??? :confused:

If so, does this mean SDC is part of the EEP for Bukhara deer?

19. solari27

solari27 Active Member

Yes the Scottish Deer Centre is part of the EEP for Bukhara deer.

I don't know exactly how many they have or where they came from but they did have them in a paddock next to the entrance when i last visited in April.I only saw 2 but its possible there were more than that.

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Port Lympne do have a lot more space for Hoofed stock than Howletts, which is pretty 'fullup' in that respect.

Does Scotland have a too wet/mild climate for the Bukharan deer? Is it one of these central Asian species which live in harsh but dry climate conditions?