Join our zoo community

Highland Wildlife Park HWP visit 4/8/11

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kiang, 4 Aug 2011.

1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A really enjoyable visit today in muggy, damp conditions a few births, a lot of construction work and most satisfying, just about everything on show.

The Pallas cat have had 3 kittens, not yet on show, but both parents were out and about.

The musk oxen should be here within around 5 weeks time, a lot of work going on, to prepare for their arrival, they will be housed in the former moose enclosure opposite the Amur tiger house.

The former otter pool will be redeveloped into an aviary for the raven pair at Edinburgh zoo.

New aviaries being constructed for snowy owl (on the site of the former wild boar enclosure) and great grey owl (on the path from the car park to the beavers).

The snowy owls and Arctic fox have been separated, the fox (one has died), is now in an enclosure tucked behind the European crane aviary.

The Japanese serow are now in a separate enclosure from the macaques, in fact directly next door in a wooded paddock to the left of the macaques.

The yak herd is very impressive now in the front reserve, i only spotted 3 takins, 2 very young Himalayan tahrs in with the group, new male European bison mixed with the females.

At the keeper talk for the red pandas, the very friendly keeper told us that she thought Jodi had been pregnant, she had built a nest, even thought her waters had broken, but no sign of any cubs at all.

Finally, it looks as though the park has sourced a female polar bear for "Walker", originally the society looked into bringing back "Mercedes" daughter from Japan, but that has fallen through.
    But it looks as though a female has been sourced at Moscow and hopefully will arrive within the next 6 months.
    But as we all know, anything could happen in the meantime.

All in all a good day, as i said always good to see a full inventory, almost (blasted beavers:mad:).
    Just a pity i picked up my stand by camera this morning, so pics not as good as i had hoped.
    Highlights for me today - Impressive fully antlered male forest reindeer and Bactrian wapiti, Pallas cats showing themselves and seeing the serow for the first time in a few visits.

2. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Thankyou for the update Kiang.

I was speaking to Una and she said they had a couple of options including as you say the female in Japan.

The Pallas Cat birth was mentioned on facebook.

3. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Nice name drop for know reason other than you have spoken to Una over facebook!!

4. Jordan-Jaguar97

I did not speak to Una over facebook, I emailed HWP a couple of months ago (June)and she answered all of my questions then.

5. zoogiraffe

I stand corrected so its another zoo you bombard with questions then!!!

6. Jordan-Jaguar97

Bombarded with two questions about the Musk Ox arrival and Amur Leopards!

7. zoogiraffe

Hmmm something doesn't add up no mentioned of Polar Bears that you said you discussed at the start!!Thats it I'm leaving this before it gets personnal!!

8. Jordan-Jaguar97

I mean't I asked two other questions aside from the Polar Bear question.

9. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Jordan, you clearly didn't read Kiang's original post. He states the move has fallen through for Mercedes offspring.

Maybe before posting something that is "no longer" going to happen. Read exactly what is written.

As regards the other posts, it does seem a little odd.

10. TARZAN

TARZAN Well-Known Member

I agree that the lad would appear to be over enthusiastic at times, however at least he is doing something constructive with his free time, he is not hanging around street corners making a nuisance of himself, remember we were all kids once, I can remember when I was fourteen, insisting on my family taking me to Longleat, Bristol or any circus that may have been in the West country when we were on holiday also hanging around the local bus depot pestering the drivers and conductors with questions about the buses, being the proper anorak I am I therefore remember this when kids come up to asking questions about the preserved buses me and my fellow anoraks have when we attend rallies and functions with them, I am sure Jorden's enthusiasm and interest for zoos is not just a passing phase, the way he is going he could one day end up being the director of Chester, then perhaps your opinion and attitude of him may be different!, no offence meant, just something to think about.:)

11. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

This is really silly and also off topic. There's no need to beat enthusiasm out of kid, because of a few typos. I agree that sometimes over enthusiasm can be a bit annoying but what harm is it doing? I'm sure zoos that are contacted can tell the difference between contact made by an enthusiastic kid and an overly pedantic adult, so I don't see how it harms the forum (I do get that this happens and I do get that this is what is actually causing the annoyance).

12. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Do you mean Mercedes daughter or grandaughter? I'd have though Ohoto a bit old for Walker! :)

(Or am I being an overly pedantic adult?? :) )

13. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

Just got back from a short visit to the park today....

Saw the Pallas Cat kittens... they are the cutest things ever!... i have a few pictures of them i will put them up soon. The two young tigeress's were playing/fighting with each other... yet again the beaver was no where to be seen... i doubt i will EVER see them...lol.

Was speaking to the a keeper outside the wildcat enclosure and there is now a new male thats just been put in with a female...seemingly he was an orphen kitten that they took in.. did DNA tests to prove he was a real Wildcat and this is the first time he has been put in with another cat. The enclosure nearest the red squirrels... the other wildcat enclosure has the two kittens and a male (Hamish) and female cat.

Didnt have a chance to see anything else as i am really up in Inverness on a dolphin spotting trip...will stop in tomorrow for a few hrs before heading home tho

14. mazfc

mazfc Well-Known Member

:D

Where's the thumbs up smiley when you need it?

I hope no one thinks I was calling any of the posters pedantic, it was more directed at over zealous emailers :)

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

What happened to them otters?

16. Jordan-Jaguar97

If you look on HWP 2010, Kiang states that the park currently hold no Eurasian Otters.