Join our zoo community

Highland Wildlife Park HWP Visit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Julz, 10 Nov 2010.

1. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

Hi, not sure if this is the right place/thing to post, but I've seen it on other boards.

I'm off to the HWP tomorrow and wondered if anyone had any questions or photos they were particularly interested in?

Apologies if I've done the wrong thing asking - be gentle, I'm new!

Julz

2. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

Hi,

Welcome to the forum! What you have posted is absaloutly fine, you havent done anything wrong! :D

In reply to the Highland Wildlife Park Visit, I would be REALLY greatful if you could post some photos of the new Wolf exhibit! I have been desperate to see photos of this exhibit for quite a while now! Apart from that, I have no other requests! :)

Enjoy your visit to the park!

3. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Hi Julz, welcome aboard, the posting is fine.
    I would like to know what the latest news is at the park regarding the arrival in the next few months of the musk oxen, as well as when the Pallas cats and where they are going in the park.
    Enjoy your visit.

4. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

I'm sure any polar bear pictures including wide shots of how they are divided would be much appreciated. Definitely by me at least!

Have a good day at the park.

5. Maisie

Maisie Well-Known Member

Having seen some photos of the new bear after a romp through his new enclosure, ask HWP to make sure they weren't conned, and that they did actually get a polar bear and not a brown bear ;)

6. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

Oh what a day! I've had a brilliant day :)

Arrived at the park early doors and got booked onto the first Landrover tour. Whilst I was waiting I took a wander to the Red Pandas and was lucky enough to see both Pandas awake and posing for photos.

It was cold and I didn't want to sit about so I decided to take a walk to the viewpoint over the Polar Bears, where the wolf lookout used to be. Well, good call that because in the enclosure before Mercedes' one (behind the old wolf one, attached to the Polar bear pen) was Walker!

He is, naturally, much smaller than Mercedes. He's tall though, when he stands up on his back legs he's not much smaller than her, but she is much bulkier. He was bounding around the enclosure as happy as larry.

Headed off for my tour and expected it to be cancelled as I was the only person booked on, but instead Alex took just me out :) It was really good, he gave tonnes of information on the animals in the reserve. Nothing major to really report there except that the (7?) Kiang that have been moved from the front reserve into the main reserve were moved because they were picking on the Camels!

Whilst on the tour I heard over the radio that "the meeting" was going ahead. With all the staff around the polar bear enclosure it was very clear that today was going to be the day for Mercedes and Walker to meet without the separation of bars. I was told that they have been barking at each other and had shown some signs of aggression, but that the keepers were very keen to get them together and that they were very, very hopeful they'll settle in together nicely.

So I will apologise now because I didn't get to the wolf wood and missed lots of bits of the park today. I really struggled to tear myself away from the introduction of the pair. I will aim to get pics of the wolf wood on my next trip (hopefully next week).

At first Mercedes was up the top of the big enclosure when Walker came out. He was tempted to the pool by a toy and it was quite a while before they took any interest in each other. Eventually Walker inched himself bit by bit up the hill towards her, only for her to chase him back down. There was one moment where they faced right off - mouths wide open, teeth showing - that I seen, but other than that it seemed that Walker was quite inquisitive about Mercedes, but she was a little put out at the wee upstart in her pen. He seems to have settled really well, he was bounding about the enclosure and responding well to toys and the keepers.

The Tigers were on their usual good form dashing about their pen. I was told they are doing really well since the loss of Yuri. Sascha was a bit lost at first, but they've all bounced back well. Vladimir is going to Knowsley after Christmas, probably around March but there's no fixed date yet he said.

I asked about the Pallas Cats and the first person had no idea about them and didn't think they had them. She said she'd ask someone and find out for me by the time I got back from my Landrover tour. They are indeed there, but there's no news on where they are going to be on the park or when they'll be on show. Most likely not this year was as specific as they got.

Musk Oxen and Amur Leopards I was told would arrive at some point next year.....hopefully. Not really much info given, sorry.

It was lovely to see Walker and even better to be able to view the meeting between him and Mercedes. Getting my own personal tour, close ups of the Tigers and Red Pandas and even a glimpse of both Lynx made it a great day overall. I'm just sorting my photographs and will get some up soon. Julz

7. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Highland Wildlife Park

Polar Bears are a bit like West Highland Terriers; they both show the dirt....

8. Paix

Paix Well-Known Member

No worries in reply to the Wolf Exhibit, glad to hear you had a great day!

9. macca

macca Well-Known Member

how lucky for you being at hwp for the meeting! its great to hear that walker is settling in and that the meeting went well.

are the landrover tours a new thing? how do you get booked on them? i made my one and only visit to hwp this time two years ago and didn't see anything about the tours then.

10. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

It was very lucky to be there to see them meeting like that. It was very quiet as well so didn't have to feel bad about not moving on because there was no-one waiting!

The Landrover tours started in the summer I think. You just go into the shop and put your name down. They do 5 or 6 a day and they take up to 5 or 6 people out at a time. It's first come, first served and it's free!

11. Julz

Julz Well-Known Member

12. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

You can never take too many photos - the folk round here are insatiable :)
    I really enjoyed your set on Flickr: it's been many years since anyone in the UK has had a chance to photograph 2 polar bears together, so you had a wonderful opportunity and you used it very well.

Alan

13. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

The pictures are very good, I agree. You were very lucky, I'm quite jealous. I'd love to go there but it's probably easier to get to Blijdorp from London than it is to go to the Highland Wildlife Park!

14. Red Panda

Red Panda Well-Known Member

Wow Julz that sounds like an amazing visit to the Park, I live miles away so cant get to the park, but pics and info on the polar bears are gratefully received :) Thanks for the update :)

15. macca

macca Well-Known Member

thanks julz. we are planning a long weekend in scotland next year and i've been promised a visit to hwp while we are there... i'll make sure i'm at the park nice and early to book onto one of the tours!