Join our zoo community

I have a problem which is hindering my ability to take good photos.

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by Fallax, 3 Jan 2018.

1. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I can not close one eye! I keep on trying to do it but I just can't! Sometimes I can focus my eye on to the viewfinder but that takes too long and I miss things. Is it just me who can't close one eye and thus struggles with photography?

2. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

I CAN close just one eye and I still struggle with photography :)
    Some photographers do keep both eyes open to help keep an eye on the full scene.

Tip: Try Keeping Both Eyes Open When Shooting Through a Viewfinder

Actually, it's something i've been meaning to try as my vision does go a bit weird after a few hours squinting through one eye.

3. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Why don't you get an eye patch? You might just have to watch out for parrots that want to use you as a perch.

4. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is possible that you may need some eyepiece correction in your viewfinder (some camera models have a system for adjusting this). Talk to a good camera dealer or visit an optician for an eye test. I don't think it should matter whether you keep both eyes open or close your non-dominant eye. If your eye(s) get tired, sit down and rest them for a few minures.

5. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I agree. Take a rest now and then. I have the same problem.

6. Welsh Zootographer

Welsh Zootographer Well-Known Member

Have you tried using the other eye? I met someone in the passed that couldn't close his left eye on its own but managed to use his camera by closing his right eye instead. In fact many videographers work with both eyes open so they can see where the action is coming from. :)

7. Gato Moteado

Gato Moteado Member

what kind of camera do you have? many digital SLRs have preview screens on the back that are touch screens and will focus on whichever part of the image you touch. i do a lot of wildlife photography and rarely look into a viewfinder anymore.

Terry Thomas likes this.
  8. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I agree. If the screen is used then you should not need to close one eye. I prefer to use the viewfinder though!

Gato Moteado likes this.
  9. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just rediscovered this thread and found the fact I ever made it... interesting. I still can't close just one eye but I have no issues with photography anymore really so I have somehow managed to be able to focus with one eye I assume. I must have thought this was the end of the world 3 years ago :oops:

10. RetiredToTheZoo

RetiredToTheZoo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Using both eyes like that is a skill that is extremely difficult if not impossible for most people to learn, but if you can, it can be very useful in photography. Fighter pilots and attack helicopter pilots do it also. Watching the sky with one eye and reading the heads up display with the other.

11. cloudedleopard611

cloudedleopard611 Well-Known Member

I also can't close one eye but it's never been an issue for me.