Join our zoo community

I think Sedgwick County Zoo deserves our Tasmanian Devils.

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by zooman, 26 Jan 2013.

1. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

With the Australian Government looking to send Tasmanian Devils to the USA to contribute to the captive insurance program. I think they should definitely also consider Sedgwick County Zoo.

Although l am sure that San Diego Zoo and probably a few other large city zoos will be considered first. It would be great to see the Australian Government body responsible for this decision consider Sedgwick County Zoo.

I am very aware that there would be allot of preparation required to house Tasmanian Devils. However realistically they would definitely be at the lower end of exhibit and management costs of zoo animals.

Typically in Australia the are kept in a reasonable sized yard with a 4 foot restraining wall, not a big expense.

If there are a few other zoochatters who would also like to see Sedgwick County Zoo get Tasmanian Devils, let me know and we could lobby the Australian Government.

2. Ituri

Ituri Well-Known Member 15+ year member

We don't know that they would even want them. I think the most likely candidates would be those that have exhibited them in the past (San Diego, Los Angeles, Toronto) and those that have expressed interest in keeping the species (Albuquerque). You can't just say such and such a zoo deserves an animal so make it so.

3. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

I don't know anything about Sedgwick County Zoo, so why there, and why should we lobby the Australian government on their behalf?

Also you (zooman) keep mentioning this article but you're the only one who has seen it apparently. Can you give a link, or what newspaper it was in, or at least something so we can see what it actually says?

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

5. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

SCZ is truly one of the most underrated zoos l have ever visited, in fact l had never heard of it until reading a post by snowleopoard. All exhibits are good to great and the plans for the elephants is brilliant it just needs funding.

I am concerned that the Tasmanian Devils may become the Giant Pandas of Australia and only going to zoos that contribute significant amounts financially to conservation projects. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I see a potential opportunity for the Australian Government to provide an opportunity for SCZ to get the public attention and recognition it deserves, and in turn get visitors through the gates and hopefully generate the income to build there Elephant exhibit.

Recently a zoo in asia requested assistance in developing there enclosures. I did a few google searches and they are a privately run zoo in need of allot of help. The owners may well have funds to employ professionals to make these changes but it seems they have decided to not do this.

That thread has had little or no posts with offers for assistance.

It made me wonder just what zoochat as a community genuinely contributes to animal welfare ( outside of individuals paying zoo admission ) and l saw this as an opportunity to contribute to a great zoo.

It may amount to nothing my idea of getting SCZ but who really knows, If l do not try?

For the record l contribute 1 day every fortnight to animal conservation. Not saying it to big note myself at all. It is what l do to contribute.

6. ThylacineAlive

ThylacineAlive Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Honestly I don't think we should be talking about it so much just to be safe. As for me, I'd love for Bronx to obtain a few but I don't know how realistic that would be.

~Thylo:cool:

7. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yeah... nah. If any devils leave Australia, it will be primarily as financial support and promotion to a bigger audience for the program. Realistically no individuals that leave Australia will be involved in the captive program, as they are unlikely to be allowed back into the country, thus surplus to requirements. Two devils hardly makes for a breeding program anyway, given they live for about 7 years.

8. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Why is it of any concern to the Australian Government whether a zoo in Kansas is getting public recognition?

As Chlidonias said, you don't even know if Sedgwick County wants devils.

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

If anyone thinks the general public is going to get excited over a small animal like tasmanian devils in the same way they get excited over pandas, you are dreaming. ZooChatters will go nuts to see them, no one else will care a bit.

10. ThylacineAlive

Some might if you explain the situation to them (or maybe that's just my people) but besides those few, us, and some non-ZooChatter animal enthusiasts not too many people will care.

11. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Only if we convince people they are like Taz

12. loxodontaafrica

loxodontaafrica Well-Known Member

Sedgwick county has the most complete Australian section I have ever seen. That being said the enclosures are significantly outdated. The first thing on the zoo's agenda is the elephant precinct, which will not be brought any closer to fruition by bringing in devils. I expect the zoo to renovate their south America/ Australia complexes after that, but until then, tasmanian devil's will not be in the zoo's near future. Maybe one day.

13. ThylacineAlive

This got me thinking, do you guys think zoos could draw more attention to the little guys by exploiting the whole Looney Toons Taz thing but make sure to clarify the differences?

14. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think that Tasmanian devils have enough popular culture cache that a good marketing campaign could draw some interest in them. They aren't pandas or koalas, but they are cool and do have some interest to the general public.

15. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Except they are nothing like that (they do not move in a tornado-like whirl), so the reality when visitors get to the zoo will be a huge disappointment.

16. cleusk

cleusk Well-Known Member

I don't think bringing them to America would be a good idea. Look what happened the last time when Taz crossed paths with Bugs Bunny.

Arizona Docent likes this.
  17. ThylacineAlive

Also they aren't big, burly, and brown. People will look at them and say, "that's not a Tasmanian Devil."

Do you really think they'd accidently get introduced into the wild or are you just making a joke? I think we've brought in far more dangerous and damaging animals into zoos and nothing has happened. Besides I doubt the zoos will get more than 2-4 individuals and the zoos that get them will probably be very spaced out so the possibility that the species could take hold in the American wilds is very, very miniscule.

18. cleusk

cleusk Well-Known Member

I bring Bugs Bunny into the mix and you can't tell if I was being serious:confused:

19. ThylacineAlive

I thought you were trying to say some Tassies could get loose and severly damage the wild populations of native species like rabbits.

20. Ili Pika

Ili Pika New Member

Sedgwick County Zoo is awesome. Very underrated. Not my favorite (that goes to either Omaha Zoo or San Diego Zoo), but a great zoo!

Arizona Docent likes this.